Gen 3 FZ1

Without the time to review all the posts in this thread...

Why can't Yamaha build 2 completely different bikes...

FZ1S - Tourer, de-tuned for easy riding. For the crowd that want a sensible sport bike they can ride all day.

FZ1N - Naked R1. R1 forks, radial brakes, R1 shock. For the rest of us that want a comfortable sport bike, but think fairings are a complete waste of plastic.

I love that my modded FZ1 keeps up with all the hard core race reps, and I love that I get to the other end without sore wrists/arse, and I love seeing that gorgeous donk.

FZ1S - Tourer, de-tuned for easy riding. For the crowd that want a sensible sport bike they can ride all day.

FZ1N - Naked R1. R1 forks, radial brakes, R1 shock. For the rest of us that want a comfortable sport bike, but think fairings are a complete waste of plastic.

Then I would buy a FZ1N and put a FZ1S fairing on it. :cheers:

Without the time to review all the posts in this thread...

Why can't Yamaha build 2 completely different bikes...

I love that my modded FZ1 keeps up with all the hard core race reps, and I love that I get to the other end without sore wrists/arse, and I love seeing that gorgeous donk.
There's already what you wish: you can buy an R1 fighter , or a FZ1-S
The FZ is detuned also because of the insurance policies. You wouldn't want to pay 400$ a month insurance fee for a naked bike, ..

2011 FZ1 to us

I hope Yamaha Corporation reads this thread to bring an outstanding 2011 FZ1 to market. I think they will and I’m looking forward to it!

Look at the Yamaha history, the 2006 FZ1 received the 2004 R1 engine change. That shows that when change comes along it may take TWO YEARS to implement the change across their product line, which involves design work, retooling manufacturing, marketing and distribution. The cross-plane crankshaft came out in the 2009 R1 engine so they could present it in the 2011 F1 if they decide to. If it happens it’s in the works right now at Yamaha!
Generally, the MSRP rises $500 per year but the rise was $800 between the 2009 R1 and the 2008 R1 (probably because of the “breakthrough technology” cross-plane crankshaft). That would put the MSRP of the 2011 FZ1 about $11,090

(See how the FZ1 engine change came TWO YEARS after the R1 engine change):
◊ Comparing the 2009 YZF-R1 and 2008 YZF-R1:
Engine (Bore x Stroke):
2009 YZF-R1 – 78mm x 52.2mm
2008 YZF-R1 – 77mm x 53.6mm (Same engine as the 2010 FZ1)
The MSRP rose $800:
2009 YZF-R1 – $12,490
2008 YZF-R1 – $11,699
2009 Yamaha YZF-R1 Specifications+Comparison

◊ Comparing the 2010 FZ1 and 2009 FZ1:
Both have the same engine (Bore x Stroke): 77 x 53.6mm
Engine (Bore x Stroke):
2010 FZ1 – 77mm x 53.6mm
2009 FZ1 – 77mm x 53.6mm
The MSRP rose $500:
2010 FZ1 – $10,290
2009 FZ1 – $ 9,790
2010 Yamaha FZ1 Specifications+Comparison

◊ Comparing the 2003 YZF-R1:
Engine (Bore x Stroke):
2008-2004 YZF-R1 – 77mm x 53.6mm (Same engine as the 2010 FZ1)
2003 YZF-R1 – 74mm x 58mm (Same engine as the 2005 FZ1)
2009 Yamaha YZF-R1 Specifications+Comparison

◊ Comparing the 2010-2006 FZ1 and 2005 FZ1:
2010-2006 FZ1 – 77mm x 53.6mm (Same engine as the 2004 YZF-R1)
2005 FZ1 – 74mm x 58mm (Same engine as the 2003 YZF-R1)
2010 Yamaha FZ1 Specifications+Comparison

No other engine changes recorded since 2001.

Here’s an excerpt from a review of the R1:
You feel the Crossplane advantage in every part of a turn. Reduced engine braking is one byproduct, and on the downhill entry to Eastern Creek's first-gear Turn 9, it's a revelation. Without excessive compression braking pulling the bike in the opposite direction--and aided by Yamaha's excellent, ramp-type slipper clutch--the R1 zips toward the apex with the immediacy of a 600, the rear wheel obediently and ever so slightly drifting out behind. With less rear wheel input bossing the chassis around, you can brake harder into a corner without worry of overwhelming front grip
Crossplane Powerplant - Motorcyclist Magazine

But the engine must perform properly to fit this street machine. I hear what javahaxxor says,…

Those of you who wish a crossplane crankshaft, be careful what you wish for, the new R1 is a bitch to ride at low revs, it shakes and coughs, and generally feels like it's breaking down when you're around 1-3000 rpm, which would be in town, slowing down at red lights, splitting lanes in traffic jams.
I'd rather have the "old" 2008 engine instead.

Finally my choice of a new bike fell on the FZ1 because it's a good allrounder. Decent top fairing, short wheelbase, so it's pretty good around town, stable at high speed and good torque so you can cruise a bit on the freeway, etc.

So what I would wish for 2011 is that Yamaha
-shave off 30kg off this bike
-upgrade the instrument cluster with a gear indicator and shift light.
-redo the OEM exhaust with a removable DB-killer and a steel or carbon fiber casing

I’ll trade in my FZ6 for it!
Grip
:yes:

Yea, I'd trade in my current FZ1 for one of those. Actually what I'd like is that all that extra weight should be moved to a couple of different replaceable components, such as the muffler, some cast iron plates here and there. Some insurance companies calculate your rate with some formula that includes the power to weight ratio. So the bike should be heavy off the shelf, and you should be able to shake off the extra weight by:
-removing center stand
-changing muffler to something carbon-fibery
-losing the toolset
-removing the extra cast-iron "balance plates"

... just a thought

I enjoyed reading this thread and wanted to add my 2 cents (which has no worth any way do to inflation!)

My first bike was a 2003 Kaw Mean Streak. I liked it alot, unfortunately I had a bad wreck in 05 and the bike was totaled. I decided I wanted to try a sport bike, so I purchased a 2005 Kaw ZZR600 (same thing as a 2002 Ninja ZX-6R). These two bikes were opposite ends of the spectrum. I liked different things about each bike, but neither was perfect.

After spending countelss hours looking at different bikes, reading hundreds of reviews, and day dreaming I decided the Gen II was the bike I wanted. Fast Forward to 2009, the opportunity arose and I bought a brand new left over 08 FZ1.

As was already stated in this thread, its a jack of all trades master of none. Its a bike that can be changed to suit what you want it to be with a little investment of time and money. Its Jekyl and Hyde in the fact that it can be ridden like a big heavy moped around town and in an instant it will change into a ferocious beast of a motorcycle if you want it to.

I am 38 years old, 5'11" tall, 180 lbs, and in good physical condition but it didnt take long to figure out that I like to sit upright and be comfortable. I always liked the 1st gen FZ1 for its comfort and versatile nature, and was a little dissapointed about the slightly sportier riding positiion of the gen II. However I have been able to make minor changes that have given my gen II almost an identical riding position to a stock gen I. I got barback risers for 1 inch up and 1 inch back on the bars, and I replaced the footpads with FZ6 pads (1/2" lower).

Eventually, I hope I can afford Givi mounts and bags to add touring options to my FZ1. I love the FZ and my only real complaints compared to my other bikes is that the Mean Streak had an awesome seat for all day comfort and the ZZR had a sick (as in fabulous) intake roar that makes the FZ Engine seem like a sewing machine in comparison.

No way Yam engineers will leave that bazooka can on the g3.

No way the FZ is a sport tour bike. Upright posture, if used, if perfect for street fighters, lane splitters and slab wars. With a slightly larger screen, FZ is great for high wind and high speed riding, and while laying on the tank with a lotta comfort. And, this bike takes on twisties with the best. Not as quick as the r6, but they ain't leaving ya in the dust, either. (Also, they know you're right behind him!)

I'm no expert, but this bike is NOT a geezer bike for 'tours.' Could not ride this bike day after day putting on mega miles. Not made for that. But this bike is EASILY ridden in 160 miles twistie loops EVERY day.

Yam markets this bike as a STREET FIGHTER, and they are right on. I trust that Yam will make the g3 with the EXACT same R1 engine, and forever lay to rest the 'tour' bike nonsense.

Niche

No way Yam engineers will leave that bazooka can on the g3.

No way the FZ is a sport tour bike. Upright posture, if used, if perfect for street fighters, lane splitters and slab wars. With a slightly larger screen, FZ is great for high wind and high speed riding, and while laying on the tank with a lotta comfort. And, this bike takes on twisties with the best. Not as quick as the r6, but they ain't leaving ya in the dust, either. (Also, they know you're right behind him!)

I'm no expert, but this bike is NOT a geezer bike for 'tours.' Could not ride this bike day after day putting on mega miles. Not made for that. But this bike is EASILY ridden in 160 miles twistie loops EVERY day.

Yam markets this bike as a STREET FIGHTER, and they are right on. I trust that Yam will make the g3 with the EXACT same R1 engine, and forever lay to rest the 'tour' bike nonsense.

I think you are off the mark a bit on the marketing. However it is worded in Yamaha's marketing it is the "good at nearly everything" and bad at nothing. This is why the bike has had success. A buyer doesn't have to choose "crotch rocket" or "touring bike", but instead can have the best of both worlds. As far as "street fighter", with the "N" model, yes they can have that too ! Just look at all the photos on this site to prove that. It can be just about anything to everyone, show me another bike that is as versatile or inspires such passion with it's owners.

I think that they (Yamaha) would be making a mistake to lean too far in either direction since they have already hit the sweet spot. Don't get me wrong, more power or just refinement in it's delivery would not upset anyone. Improvement in any of the components would always be welcome. But what I like is that I CAN TOUR for 1000's of miles or lay a wuppin' on a squid (on his crotch rocket) or do track days or be a street hooligan all with only one machine to insure and maintain. It doesn't get any better than that!
Don't screw it up YAMAHA.

Well I personally think that Yamaha has taken the FZ1 to the "sport side" as much as they should. The Gen II definitely doesn't have the "touring" capacity of the Gen I FZ1 (smaller tank, more aggressive rising position). I think Yamaha did a great job with the Gen I bikes, but were afraid of losing potential FJR sales so they went more sporty with the Gen II. The Gen III doesn't really need much more power, but better suspension would be nice as well as an increase in fuel capacity (at least 5 gallon tank please!).

The Gen III doesn't really need much more power, but better suspension would be nice as well as an increase in fuel capacity (at least 5 gallon tank please!).

I agree, the power is fine as it is, but better fuel economy instead of a bigger tank. Honda can do it, is it too much for Yamaha ? Or is it just that Yamaha buy their fuel management systems from somewhere else ?

Well I personally think that Yamaha has taken the FZ1 to the "sport side" as much as they should. The Gen II definitely doesn't have the "touring" capacity of the Gen I FZ1 (smaller tank, more aggressive rising position). I think Yamaha did a great job with the Gen I bikes, but were afraid of losing potential FJR sales so they went more sporty with the Gen II. The Gen III doesn't really need much more power, but better suspension would be nice as well as an increase in fuel capacity (at least 5 gallon tank please!).

I think you are spot on about the loss of FJR sales being one of the reasons why the Gen II FZ was made more sporty than the Gen I. An thats also probably why Yamaha does not sell the factory bags and mounts for the FZ1 in the US. (At least they didnt used to any way)

Those of you who wish a crossplane crankshaft, be careful what you wish for, the new R1 is a bitch to ride at low revs, it shakes and coughs, and generally feels like it's breaking down when you're around 1-3000 rpm, which would be in town, slowing down at red lights, splitting lanes in traffic jams.
I'd rather have the "old" 2008 engine instead.

you definately are drunk...

how much saddle time did you have on the new gen R1? 10 minutes? in B mode? in 6th gear constantly?
had the 09 R1... splitting lanes at slow or fast pace, or cruising through towns to respect it's speed limits was no problem, yes at first i admit I hated it and thought I made a bad move, but once you got that bikes personality down... it was smooth as silk....and decievingly quick.. I hope they will consider the crossplane for the gen 3 FZ,, believe it or not its ability to pull in any gear at lower rpm's and scream up top would suit the FZ's do-all personality

Last edited by a moderator:
A dealer I spoke with, who personally rides an R-1, mentioned the cross-plane engine may make it in the 2012 FZ1? :sinister:
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RpWC0PDhdFo"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RpWC0PDhdFo[/ame]

Last edited:
you definately are drunk...

how much saddle time did you have on the new gen R1? 10 minutes? in B mode? in 6th gear constantly?
had the 09 R1... splitting lanes at slow or fast pace, or cruising through towns to respect it's speed limits was no problem, yes at first i admit I hated it and thought I made a bad move, but once you got that bikes personality down... it was smooth as silk....and decievingly quick.. I hope they will consider the crossplane for the gen 3 FZ,, believe it or not its ability to pull in any gear at lower rpm's and scream up top would suit the FZ's do-all personality

I got about 30 min of saddle time. 10min to get out of town, 10 minutes B-roads and back. I didn't say anything about how great it pulls once you go faster because it's been said SO many times before. As always, the truth is in the eye of the beholder. It was MY first impression, and people can go test drive the crossplane R1 and see for themselves if the engine character is right for them.

Why must I be drunk ? because I happen to have another opinion than You ?

To be honest I have ridden the new R1 and while yes it is nice it really lacks the excitement and rush of the 07-08, The cross-plane just doesnt have the rel animal rush and it seems a bit to perfect if that makes sense also I hate the styling and I much prefer the 07-08 to me that is Yamahas greatest R1 to date as far. I have a feeling that Yamaha will try and follow Kawasaki Z1000 in making a bike that looks gimmicy and has bit of plastic here and there, Funny angles and watered down low-mid range and all the Bike testers will cream themselves over it and call it the best naked to come out of Japan?. I cant see them putting half decent quality suspension if there is a new cross-plane motor and a redesigned frame and swingarm, The bike has to be $ competitive in the market something will give like the 09 R1 unfinished styling sorry ran out of money there you go its got a new motor though. If Yamaha want to make the FZ1 top dog improve what it has Like the 04-05 R1 to the 07-08 R1, Small well thought out changes like better rebuildable more adjustable suspension, More low-mid power, Adjustable pegs and few nicer touches here and there.

Not been on the new cross R1, but saw two vids. One vid the R1 was being dynoed and it sounded great.

BUT the second vid showed the R1 cross on the track, and it not only sounded all wrong to my ears, (sounds geeky on the bike) but FELT wrong even through the video.

We've been trained so long on the inline 4 it's gonna take a while to have a 4 that runs like a freakin twin. Even on the vid, the cross didn't have the rush that we're use to on our bike.

Also, I've talked to a few track heads at the Yam shop, and they do NOT like the cross. Typical comment: 'might as well buy a twin.'

Would the above stop me from buying a cross r1 or cross FZ? Probably not, but I think I may keep my 06 longer than I first planned while waiting to see what you guys think after buying the cross FZ1!

Back