FZ1 ECU Tuning

I will be following this thread with a lot of interest.
Good luck with it Hellgate, it almost sounds too good to be true.

I would still get the bike dynoed afterwards to make sure it's not too lean etc.

Last edited:
Here are some of the things they say can do:

ECU Modifications – (Optional per customer request and application)

* Remove Factory Timing Retard
* Remove Throttle Restrictions
* Increased Idle
* Increased Rev Limit
* Remove Speed Limiters (Gear Dependent)
* Reduce Excessive Engine Braking/Improved Deceleration
* Improved Throttle Control & Reaction
* Remove Injector Shut-Off on Deceleration (Bye bye FCE)
* Eliminate Factory “Error codes” (ex. exhaust valve, steering damper)
* Improved Fuel Maps
* Improved Ignition Maps
* Injector Phasing Adjustment
* Velocity Stack Switching Adjustment (Variable Stacks Only)
* Race Fuel Mapping Accommodations

I've been looking at the PC3's of late, but now that I see this thread I think I'll wait to see how this turns out. Seems like a viable option for a daily rider.

Interesting stuff but I am bit confused about the implementation. How is this company going to modify the factory ECU to the specific needs of your bike ( with whatever modifications it might have such as exhaust, airbox, airfilter etc) without spending a serious amount of time dynoing your bike to see what exact changes to fueling / ignition / throttle plate actuation etc etc provides optimal results?

There would seem to be no substitute here for individual dyno time with an experienced operator or like Ivan's Emap for the PCIII a particular "package" that is was developed for. Is this not an option with this technology?

There would seem to be no substitute here for individual dyno time with an experienced operator or like Ivan's Emap for the PCIII a particular "package" that is was developed for. Is this not an option with this technology?

Again, the Power Commander ONLY adjusts fuel, unless you buy the ignition module. The stock ECU has two CPUs. The stock fuel CPU has over 230 maps alone. One Power Commander map will not even come close to the level of tuning you can do with this. Look at the list of tunable items that Ballmead posted.

Go take a look at their web site and call a US distributor if you have questions.

For many other brands of bikes riders don't screw around with Power Commander but tune directly to the ECU and you don't have a bunch of bolt on stuff.

Yup, your right. Go in the busa forums they all tune their ECU. I cant wait to see this done, I will prolly do this over the winter. Can't have the bike tied up for two weeks, unless that place in CT does it on the spot.

Yup, your right. Go in the busa forums they all tune their ECU. I cant wait to see this done, I will prolly do this over the winter. Can't have the bike tied up for two weeks, unless that place in CT does it on the spot.

For Suzuki Factory Pro makes a device called a Teka, you tune the heck out of the ECU. For Buell there is a freeware called ECU Spy, and a few other applications too.

Mr. Yamaha locked us out until now.

Again, the Power Commander ONLY adjusts fuel, unless you buy the ignition module. The stock ECU has two CPUs. The stock fuel CPU has over 230 maps alone. One Power Commander map will not even come close to the level of tuning you can do with this. Look at the list of tunable items that Ballmead posted.

Go take a look at their web site and call a US distributor if you have questions.

For many other brands of bikes riders don't screw around with Power Commander but tune directly to the ECU and you don't have a bunch of bolt on stuff.
I did look at the list of all additional variables and I am certainly intrigued.
My issue is that I am having trouble seeing how some remote tuner is going to be able to set up my bike correctly without having it on hand and spending a good deal of time with it. If you have the ability to control more variables it would seem to make it even more important to use individual bike testing with a specific set of mods to make it work.
Hopefully this company has skilled tuners and is spending the necessary time with the GenII and the typical exhaust and intake mods. The FZ is a dated design and has no where near the sales numbers of a Hayabusa or the 600 and 1000cc sport/superbikes so I am a bit skeptical. . . .
Please keep us posted!

Take a look at the PC3 maps from Ivan, Duke, etc. regardless of mods they are within several points of trim of one another. In other words aside from an exhaust, mods don't effect the required tirm a great deal once you are in the neighborhood. The main thing a tune is doing is correcting the fueling from the factory and aiming it towards a given target; AFR, CO%, etc.

As far as experience with the FZ1, it's just another Japanese inline 4, nothing rare or unique about it. Much of what they offer is going in a changing lines of code that neuter the bike, that is pretty easy, once you are in the ECU. Also note that on the list of things they can change, idle speed, engine brake, etc. Those are rider selected options, no need for a dyno to change those things.

Being that they only offer tunes for specific bikes that implies they have worked with that bike. DynoJet, Bazzaz, etc is the same way, they only offer product they've worked with.

Regardless I'm looking forward to seeing how this turns out, it's great that we can finally get inside of a Yamaha ECU. I love doing stuff like this. :tup:

Regardless I'm looking forward to seeing how this turns out, it's great that we can finally get inside of a Yamaha ECU. I love doing stuff like this. :tup:

Did you ship the old one or the new one? I looked at their site and recall seeing a selection where it was '06-'07 and '08-'11. After looking around, it seems that the '08 and up are the new 32 bit ECUs? So the '06 one will not have the same tuning capabilities.

Did you ship the old one or the new one? I looked at their site and recall seeing a selection where it was '06-'07 and '08-'11. After looking around, it seems that the '08 and up are the new 32 bit ECUs? So the '06 one will not have the same tuning capabilities.

Ooooo, I shipped the old one. Well if they can't tune it I'll send the new one down. Ugh. It was only $5.00 to ship....

I'm sure the AF1 guys will let me know if there is an issue.

This could be great news for us saving half the money on the other mods.I would not buy anything form Ivan so having another option for the FCE is great.I fyou break down the prices PC 300,IM 300,FCE 200 dyno tune 200-300 plus not having all that junk under the seat

Ooooo, I shipped the old one. Well if they can't tune it I'll send the new one down. Ugh. It was only $5.00 to ship....

I'm sure the AF1 guys will let me know if there is an issue.

They can and will tune it, but it doesn't have the same options as the newer 32 bit ECUs. So, if they do the '06 ECU AND it eliminates the fuel cut off?

Last edited:

All genII FZ1s have 32-bit ECU. Same goes for the FZ6 too.

Hellgate: please keep us posted on what happens w/this 'up grade'. The only 'up grades' I've done to my '08 are suspension (Ohlin/etc), but I'm really tired of the lousey throttle response. IF $450 FIXES the issues, its $$$$ well spent!

Hellgate: please keep us posted on what happens w/this 'up grade'. The only 'up grades' I've done to my '08 are suspension (Ohlin/etc), but I'm really tired of the lousey throttle response. IF $450 FIXES the issues, its $$$$ well spent!

Will do, no worries at all. I'll give you guys the honest truth on it. If it is great I'll let you know, if it sucks I'll let you know.

I think it will be pretty good as the shop I'm working with on this is very honest. They've tuned my last four bikes and the guy who does the tuning has bikes shipped to him from all over the world for him to work on, he's that good.

His last project was an Aprilia RSV, blown, running on methonal, ran 199.99 mph on the standing mile. They just missed their 200 mph goal. It's the fastest Ape in the world.

If everything goes perfectly I may have it back by Saturday.

I'm waiting w bated breath!! im not sure wat that means, but im looking forward to the results!

Back