FZ1 ECU Tuning

Yeah, but $350 for something that can't be resold is not economical when you can buy the addons used and break even when you sell them and probably get better performance. $350 needs to be justified through dyno charts and I am not expecting Pete to do this but I want to see the providers of the flash to show some charts.

I look at it this way, the cost of a flash is three tires and it lasts the life of the bike vs 3,500 miles. :)

I know for me I'd rather see dyno plot from and individual vs a retailer. Over my 30 plus years of playing with bikes and cars I've seen some pretty crazy claims made with a "plot" to back it up. (Pun intended)

Today is the first day of Autumn and the air was actually cool. That means good weather for the dyne is a few more weeks away.

Once I start testing it I'll put up a new thread and put this drama to rest.

Sent from my MB508 using Tapatalk

Pete, just do a baseline dyno run. That should be good enough to show the difference. It shouldn't cost more than $45.

$350 would have been a irresistible and lucrative package if it allowed the user i.e., you to tweak the ECU yourself too through a software and a USB interface just like the Suzuki/Triumph/Buell ECUs.

Yeah, but $350 for something that can't be resold is not economical when you can buy the addons used and break even when you sell them and probably get better performance. $350 needs to be justified through dyno charts and I am not expecting Pete to do this but I want to see the providers of the flash to show some charts.

So, you want Pete to ship them the rest of the bike? Great idea... :rolleyes:

That isn't a lot of money considering the cost of all the add-ons and not all those add-ons are going to resell for break even. No one buys used for the cost of new. :shaking head: :poke:

I don't. I just like to ask a lot of questions. Eric, I said buy used, sell used. And where did I come across for pete to ship the bike. The flasher gyys have a lot locals that they can use. And first of all why market a product w/o proof like dynosheets.

Last edited:
I don't. I just like to ask a lot of questions. Eric, I said buy used, sell used. And where did I come across for pete to ship the bike. The flasher gyys have a lot locals that they can use. And first of all why market a product w/o proof like dynosheets.

If there were a lot of locals to use, willing to give up a bike and ECU for this amount of time, one would think they would have already created a flash for the '06 FZ1, the single year that needed this the most, wouldn't you? They are marketing this technology because it works, plain and simple. Like the Duc, Buell and Suzuki's, it just works. They are doing nothing different. The problem is that Yamaha doesn't provide an interface or a map of the ECU settings like other manufacturers so this company is creating the interface and then editing an extremely complex map of the bike to turn on or off bits. They are not tuning the bike to fit the mods, they are "unleashing" the bikes full potential which is a lot of locked down stuff due to emissions restrictions in each country. This has nothing to do with what mods you've done to the bike. It doesn't replace the want/need for a power commander or autotune.

It does replace the need for an FCE if their claim of shutting down the fuel cut is valid, so one can think of it this way... You spent a bit less than twice as much as Ivan's FCE cost but didn't add a third-party part which has been known on many occasions to be problematic. It's not a great deal of money even if you sold the bike. IF the buyer knows his bikes and tries the "returned to bone stock" bike then comes and tries the ECUnleashed bike, which do you think he is going to buy, even is it is a bit higher priced? ;)

Besides, once unleashed, who'd EVER want to get rid of the best bike ever made anyway? :yes:

Here's hoping the re-flash is a success.
I'm also waiting, patiently too I might add, to hear the results ;)
It will be real interesting to hear how it compares to your 2010 ECU, Pete.

My Buell was really easy to hook up to a PC. Under the left radiator pod is a GM dongle that you plug a special cable into.

I had two software kits for that bike, they were so-so. Like a lot of "home made" software it mostly worked. The problem is the tune was wide open and it was up to the user to figure out what to change. It is not like a power commander where you change a relative value in a given cell. But instead you get a hexadecimal dump and have to figure out what is what. In addition much was based around a static AFR in an attempt to have some kind of a baseline to come back to.

Guys would spend months making runs with wide band trying to develop a tune. Once I download the stock flash and played around with it I left it stock. Even tuning pros didn't want to mess with it.

In other words it is very complex and takes a lot of time to get right.

Here's some reading on how to use a "simple" ECM tuning kit. http://xoptiinside.com/BuellTuningGuideEnglish.pdf

Sent from my MB508 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Pete, you were primarily hoping to iron out the issues with that 2006 ECU with the flash rather than trying to get any real performance boost right?

Brad - Well yes and no. The performance should be very close to a bike with a PC3 fuel, ignition module and a custom tune. From what I've read that seems to be the outcome in most cases. On top of that is the fuel cut removal, 1st to 3rd unrestricted and better throttle response in general.

Will peak power be great than what I have now? I don't think so. Will the mid-range be better? I think so. Will maintenance throttle be much better in a corner? Yes. Will the bike scream in 1st to 3rd? OH YES!!!

Back