FZ1 ECU Tuning

FZ1 ECU Tuning Option - No piggyback

I bumped into ECUnleased today. They offer flashed to ECUs that remove/fix limitations that are factory programmed into the ECU.

Yamaha Tune Files | Performance ECU Flashing-Remapping & Tuning Company- ECUnleashed Tuning Technology

The good thing about this is a piggy back device is not required, and the changes are direct to the ECU. In addition to fuel changes, timing changes, and restrictions are removed/fixed.

The guys who do my tuning offer this service and seemed pretty pleased with it so far. The cost is about $450ish is a pretty good deal considering the cost of a PC3 and a dyno session.

From what I understand the flash can be loaded and the bike can be dyno tuned and further refined. Also once the flash is created it can be reload if need be with at no additional cost.

Last edited:
There's a dealer in New Haven, CT that they listed. I sent them an email for pricing but to also see if they have a dyno chart to share showing a before and after. If they respond, I will let you know!

Very cool! Thanks Pete!

Would this in their "About" page indicate taking out the stock fuel cut?

I'm not sure Eric. I contacted AF1 and in two weeks we,ll flash my bike and my car. It would be great to be able to lose the PC3.

Sent from my MB508 using Tapatalk

$450 seems steep for a reflash as the bike will still need dyno time. It will be great if this can remove the 3rd gear hp limitation. Now I know why I couldn't get max acceleration to keep up with my riding buddies in the 3rd gear. I usually never get out of 3rd in the twists.

So what you do is mail in your ECU to the tuning shop. They read the ECU and send the reading to Italy. They tweak it and send it back. Then the shop flashed your ECU and mails it back to you.

For my car there is a 22 bump in hp and about 40 ft lbs of torque.

All flashes are $449.00.

If this fixes a the host of FZ1 throttle related issues it will be the best mod bang for the buck there is. No more Power Commander, no more FCE, no more secondary plate fiddling, no more ignition modules. Hooray!

I'm going to pull the FZ ECU this weekend and mail out. I'm traveling for about a week so the timing is good.

$450 seems steep for a reflash as the bike will still need dyno time. It will be great if this can remove the 3rd gear hp limitation. Now I know why I couldn't get max acceleration to keep up with my riding buddies in the 3rd gear. I usually never get out of 3rd in the twists.

No you won't need dyno time. Even if you did all the changes are done to the ECU, not via a bunch of piggyback junk, and mystery wire add-ons.

Remember this is fuel, timing and other areas of the ECU. They might even be able to re-cal for gearing changes.

Well that does sound like a great deal seeing how I don't need a ton of power and just wanna get rid of some of the oddities of the bike. One more winter project :D. Let us know how it works out.

Will be interesting to see the b4 and after results, Pete. Of course dyno proven!

$75 will cover the pull. :tup:

But remember at dyno plot only shows WFO and only in one gear, not throttle quality and control. It's a partial picture. I'm not looking for more power, but a better throttle. I assume with this there will be a power pick up, if not, no biggie. We'll see.

I am always after a perfect throttle rather than those big ass numbers. They don't mean shit with a lurchy bike. I have all the mods w/o the ignition module and my bike is close to perfect.

Oh I agree, fully. I'm pretty happy where I'm at now, but if I can make the "foundation" that much better it will be money well spent.

Years ago I had a custom chip burned for a car to tie together a bunch of mods, it really made a big difference.

With this mod the new ZX10 is supposed to be a totally different bike, 20+ hp, and all of the neutering is gone.

Remember the guy from Croatia who had his ECU tuned? I wonder if this was the process his shop used???

So many options on their site I wouldn't even know where to begin Lmao.

I'd say that due to the amount of time used to ship and return, you may want to wait for winter when the bike will be sleeping. ;) Or, maybe go to the dealer in New Haven, CT (after calling first) who is listed on the ECUnleashed site to see what their process/time is along with the cost. :tup:

I'd say that due to the amount of time used to ship and return, you may want to wait for winter when the bike will be sleeping. ;) Or, maybe go to the dealer in New Haven, CT (after calling first) who is listed on the ECUnleashed site to see what their process/time is along with the cost. :tup:

I bet it could be done in two weeks or less. We'll see. Heck I may pull mine tonight and mail it tomorrow.

I bet it could be done in two weeks or less. We'll see. Heck I may pull mine tonight and mail it tomorrow.

Excellent! :D

Do you know of any dyno charts out there showing the end results of this? Do you still have your stock ECU? Can't you just send that one and leave to '10 ECU in place?

Excellent! :D

Do you know of any dyno charts out there showing the end results of this? Do you still have your stock ECU? Can't you just send that one and leave to '10 ECU in place?

Hummm, now this a great idea Eric, I forgot all about my old ECU. I'm not aware of any dyno charts. I do have the plot from my tune and I'll get my bike down there for a run in a month or two so we can compare. Or maybe AF1 will do a run for free as they have only been doing this for a month? I'll talk to them and see.

What do you know? I have a USPS Express Mail box right next to me.

A PC3 or V can be had for $260 & download a free map to suit as there are dozens available. When you see your bike you can remove it and sell it on for $150-200?. To be honest, i wouldn't and couldn't be bother going down this road of fluffing with the ECU let alone sending the thing to Italy?.

A PC3 or V can be had for $260 & download a free map to suit as there are dozens available. When you see your bike you can remove it and sell it on for $150-200?. To be honest, i wouldn't and couldn't be bother going down this road of fluffing with the ECU let alone sending the thing to Italy?.

Reread the thread. I'm sending my ECU to a local shop not Italy, and the changes the entire ECU map, not just fueling like a Power Commander. Downloaded maps are okay, but to really get a good result you need a custom tune.

Remember this does fuel, time and lifts the limits on 1st to 3rd. A PC only does one of those and not a the granular level of the map on the ECU.

And of course if it sucks I'll let everyone know, you guys know me by now.

Back