***Dustin's Official 2013 Trip Report Thread***

WOW no gas landing. Ida been freeking out. Rain and thunder is here now. looks wet all week :cuss:

My Dad and Brother and 5 others were headed to Glacier this Friday on bikes. But the weather is looking cold like in the mid 40's when they were going to there in a week. Now there headed South ?

Hope your visit there is better than that.

And my five gallon fill of a five gallon tank :)

By the way, I'm curious what effect elevation has on the minimum octane you can use. I've noticed Utah and Colorado have 85 octane minimum rather than the 87 at home. I've been using 87 because I wasn't sure. What's the deal?

Stay with 87, you'll be fine. My FJR did not like 85 at all as it made the bike stumble at a start. Monday will be a day of elevation!

I left my hotel early this morning and headed south to experience the famous 'Million Dollar Highway', US-550. As I headed into the mountains, the view started looking more and more like home. The last few days have been tough because I'm homesick. I'm ready to turn around for home now.

Brenda had warned me yesterday that they were chip sealing the highway and to be careful. I thought I knew what chip sealing meant but I guess I didn't. As I started my ascent, the road became just spectacular, running between enormous rock faces and sheer drops. The highway twisted and turned higher with frequent hairpins and beautiful views. I was starting to wonder if there was any roadworks at all until I rounded a bend and was met with a road completely covered in sticky bitumen and gravel. I mean completely. The sticky goo covered my tires and picked up all the gravel. I took a peek over my front fender and my whole front tire was completely coated in crap. The next 40 minutes was spent riding up sharp bends, sliding both ends of the bike and repeatedly pooping my pants. I lost count how many times I lost the front. Thankfully, I didn't crash and made it past the construction.

I climbed several summits up past 11,000 feet and got some spectacular views.

Looks Lovely to me. Chip seal SUX, must be fresh and maybe Hot there. Did you make a GoPro on any of that ? Home sick, Cmon. Your living the dream. Be Safe, I-5 looking to open this week.

I decided at my lunch stop in Durango that I'm ready to come home. Big thank you to Brenda and her husband for offering me a place to stay and shame I didn't get to meet you this time. :)

Should be home in maybe three days

Dood that trip woulda killed me. You in that blue suit still in that heat ? I guess we have some reall Crap weather coming in through Thursday. Just an FYI. Get some juice back in the body, ride safe Dustin.

Keep hydrated! I'm sure you've made it farther than I would have. I'm already seriously considering an FJR for long trips. You will have great memories and stories from this trip. Sometimes the bad parts of a trip make the best stories. Thanks for sharing your trip with us.

Nearly in Idaho at the moment. Stopped for lunch :)

I'm just going to do 400 miles per day for the next couple days, nice and short. I don't have the will to pump out any more 500-600 days and I'm also chasing a new set of PR3 and some spark plugs coming from California. They should arrive at my P.O. box as I'm heading home :)

Last edited:
Back