Dustin's New Bike Thread

Haha, I've made my share of 'American financial blunders' before! It took me years of working 60+ hour weeks to crawl my way out of credit card and loan debt.

I've been thinking about 2014 and all the non-motorcycle trips I've got planned and it made me realise that maybe I should take a break from touring for a year.

So far, I've got these trips on the list:

- Germany, Italy, Austria, Switzerland
- California for Laguna Seca MotoGP
- Texas for F1
- Alaska cruise
- Jasper & Banff camping trip

Although I seriously doubt that will ALL happen in 2014, this does leave me wondering if I would even have any budget at all for riding.

I have a cousin that lives in London. I am planning to do a ride with him next year through France and on to Germany. God I hope that actually happens. We are doing it on dual sports though.

Fj1200

Found the perfect bike for you.

1986 Yamaha FJ1200 - Calgary Sport Touring Motorcycles For Sale - Kijiji Calgary Canada.

Or this baby.

http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-cars-veh...-Ducati-Multistrada-1000DS-W0QQAdIdZ526250573

Or this;

http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-cars-veh...BR-1100-XX-super-blackbird-W0QQAdIdZ526014005

Or this:

http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-cars-veh...01-Kawasaki-zx12r-for-sale-W0QQAdIdZ525882914

All under or close to the budget. The Ducati is an amazing price considering what it went for new, and it has the hard cases. Just don't look at it head on, it has a face only a mother could love.

Last edited:
The FZ1 will get your heart racing but it will hardly take you on an adventure. ....the one thing it can't do well.

What makes an "adventure"? I think that its not the name/catagory where we put the bike. Its more where your head is at.

Smart Man, Pay of Dept 1st. You still have a bike to zip around on. Big winter coming, we drop into the 30's over night end of the week. Better get a beater with a heater.

I have my layers and my scooter! I'm ready!

ecards-auto-240668.jpeg

canada.gif

Adventure!

What makes an "adventure"? I think that its not the name/catagory where we put the bike. Its more where your head is at.

When I think adventure I think dirt, gravel and water! But that is just me? I think back when I was a kid and live on the edge of many square miles of BLM land and we would ride for hours and explore on our dirt bikes. I miss those days!

So apparently my insurance company is incompetent. I called my adjuster this morning and he said he wasn't sure what was going on either. He called me back later and said it looks like it may actually just be repaired!

:banghead:

I actually have no idea what's officially broken on it. I tried to take photos the other day but I dropped my phone on the ground and broke it so I couldn't do squat at the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by terdog

When I think adventure I think dirt, gravel and water! But that is just me? I think back when I was a kid and live on the edge of many square miles of BLM land and we would ride for hours and explore on our dirt bikes. I miss those days!

I hear ya. I still do that. I met my budd after work yesterday and we got in 2 hrs of finding some new (to us) singletrack. We got back by my headlight leading the way for both of us.

My point was that we dont need some $$$ "ADVENTURE" bike to have an adventure. As exhibt 1, check out my rims in this pic. Over 20 miles on dirt roads to get away from everyone and get a decent campsite.

terdog-albums-pics-picture3766-quincy-pics-7-13-058a.jpg

terdog-albums-pics-picture3876-quincy-pics-7-13-031.jpg

I hear ya. I still do that. I met my budd after work yesterday and we got in 2 hrs of finding some new (to us) singletrack. We got back by my headlight leading the way for both of us.

My point was that we dont need some $$$ "ADVENTURE" bike to have an adventure. As exhibt 1, check out my rims in this pic. Over 20 miles on dirt roads to get away from everyone and get a decent campsite.

terdog-albums-pics-picture3766-quincy-pics-7-13-058a.jpg

terdog-albums-pics-picture3876-quincy-pics-7-13-031.jpg

I like your style!

While I agree that the Fz1 is fun and can be taken to dirt roads, an adventure bike is the much better choice for this. I do gravel from time to time and the Fz1 handles it but only if you go rather slow. No comparison to the fun with an adventure bike. A SupereTenere or even better the small Tenere (not available in the US :() would have been much more fun. Examples where I took the Fz1: Monument Valley and Valley of the Gods and several other dirt roads but never longer than 20-30 miles. The worst part is that the Fz1 is not proper oiled and cooled if the revs are lower than I think 3k (have to check the manual once more on that) and riding at higher rpms can be difficult especially in sand.

I think two bike would be nice an adventure bike for touring and a sport bike, if that's sounds unreasonable than a Fz1 is a good and cheaper compromise ;).

Is it just your screen that broke? Or is the phone kaput?

The screen broke but unfortunately the design of this phone is such that when the screen breaks, the digitizer (touch sensor) also breaks, rendering your phone useless. :dontknow:

$200 later and I'm back in action.

Back