Definately harassment!!!

Stopping people late at night is an infringement on peoples' rights. A person has just as much right to drive down the road at 2:00 in the afternoon as they have at 2:00 in the morning. They should not be stopped and subjected to whatever a policeman feels like conjuring up because of the time of day - unless they are doing something obviously wrong. This is supposed to a free country - not a police state.

Driving late at night should actually be safer and is preferred by some because the traffic is almost non-existent. Today's daytime traffic is horrendous (me being a relatively older guy remembers when it was not this way). To target people simply because they are driving on near deserted roads is harassment and profiling. Profiling is supposed to be against the law. People are supposed to be presumed innocent - not guilty.

People should not be subjected to police harassment on the road - it is not the police's road, it is the peoples' road.
Any one of those "created" situations by the police could end up bad or even tragic - and for no reason other than the person wearing the uniform felt like he wanted to harass the person not wearing the uniform. Each of these people have the same rights - but one feels as though he has "more" rights - and ignores the other's rights to the highway.

There are getting to be more and more people waking up to these injustices. You see fewer people voting for police related taxes - they are tired of police harassment. Fewer police - maybe better - if all they have to do is target people on the roads.
The police are supposed to be chasing bad guys or solving crimes - not harassing people for simply driving down the road.

I'm not sure why people in TX seem to have trouble with police. I've lived in TX off and on since 1976 and have been pulled over twice, both for speeding and both times let go with a friendly warning. I've travelled at all times of the day and night, big towns and small, and I just don't see an issue. I used to travel 220 miles from my home to Houston, leaving at 4:30 am and hitting Austin at 6:00 am. There is very little traffic at this hour but no cop ever bothered to pull me over in over 100,000 mi of travel over the last 5 years. Lucky? Maybe, but I just don't see a pattern of bad cops in TX. You learn where the speed traps are and obey the speed limit. Are there some bad cops, sure there are and I would report any cop that pulled me over more than twice for no apparent reason. Municipalities do not like this action by cops as it opens them up to unnecessary legal action. Nip it in the bud.

If one of your rider friends goes to work the same time you do, ask them to ride with you and leave a little early. Pull off where you know the cop sits and stop to talk to him. Have your friend park close, but not too close.

I think a calm, reasonable discussion with the officer about why he seems to be targeting you would be a good first step. If it doesn't seem to be going anywhere, politely inform him you were prior law enforcement and that you are now logging everytime he follows you. Also get the name of his supervisor. If you feel it necessary, have an informal chat with him/her.

You already know to write down dates, times and locations of these "informal" discussions. You should know from the military, that trying to solve this informally first, should help you if you need to go the formal complaint route.

Just a fun note. Here in the state of mississippi there is a law on the books that you have to have a motorcycle endorsement but no fine for it. Leave it to mississippi to write a law and leave that out. For now it just goes on your record, was told that it's changing soon though.

My self and a few mates got harassed today on the regular Sunday ride, we live in a small mining town ( 20000 people, 500km from the nearest city) and there are usually 60-70 bikes do the Sunday ride. The destination changes and when you get there there is a bike trailer with all the makings for a cup of coffee and a raffle is held to raise funds for a piss up. The thing is most of the guys and galls are older and ride Trumps and Hardly's etc the few of us that like to push get together and fight for the corner and try to out do each other at 200 kph plus. Well this morning about 10 km from the destination we passed a Highway patrol car going the other way on a nice straight with a few fast sweepers. We all nailed it 260 plus, got to where we were going, got off the bikes and lined up for a coffee. This dumb ass copper finally comes along and got out of his car and asked for the three speeders to come forward or he would defect every bike there. The silly prick could not even count as it was five bikes that blew him not three and then he realized that the Local Area Commander was there ( big boss copper, Gen II busa) He got in his car and drove away with 60 odd bike enthusiast rolling on the ground laughing, although the five of us naughty riders did get a chat from his boss ! and he was the fastest of the five of us !!!!

Hi,

I've never been hassled on my bike by a policeman in the UK for quite a number of years. I think the secret may be that, overtly at least, I now appear to be a good law-abiding member of society, albeit on a motorcycle. I run an aftermarket licence plate holder, but the actual licence plate is absolutely legit in size, font, etc and like I say - I've had no hassle whatsoever. Mind, I think I am lucky where I am in the UK in that it is only very rarely that I see a police car when I'm out riding. Long may it continue!

Some of the guys over her in the UK run small 'race plates', with non-legal plate size, font and font size and they can be an absolute magnet for police attention. One reason behind this is, I think, that they increasingly use Auto Number Plate recognition (ANR) systems to combat crime . It is very likely the non-legal plates avoid recognition by the system. Do your police forces in the USA use ANR, or is that a daft question?

I was pulled over last year and the policeman said 'I could hear you but I just couldn't see you'...

I had an exhaust without a baffle and a small plate. £30 fine. Still got the small plate and no baffled exhaust but on a new bike ;)

The louder the exhaust the better/safer. Small number plate looks nicer, so....

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=51.192356,0.725635
Member of the 1 litre club...

Yes - I know what you mean, of course. I can hear bikes with loud pipes on the bypass a mile from my house (lovely sound). I love a fruity pipe (on a bike). And a small plate - you can see so much more of the back of the bike and the tyre.

But with me I favour the stealth fighter approach.

GAME ON!!!!
OK Missy - I'm headed up there this weekend and I'm going to catch the Super Moto Cross in Cowboy's Stadium. WooooHoooo!!!!!
:thewave:
I have to go down the route we talked about to meet up with my best friend in Rockwall. Then of course we will have to double back to get to the stadium so I will go through his area at least twice.
Have there been any developments since we last talked?

Last edited:
Nope, in fact he hasn't stalked me in awhile, I'm thinking he's been to busy to peruse the highway at the time I go through. I'll be curious to see if you get any grief when you go through!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not sure why people in TX seem to have trouble with police. I've lived in TX off and on since 1976 and have been pulled over twice, both for speeding and both times let go with a friendly warning. I've travelled at all times of the day and night, big towns and small, and I just don't see an issue. I used to travel 220 miles from my home to Houston, leaving at 4:30 am and hitting Austin at 6:00 am. There is very little traffic at this hour but no cop ever bothered to pull me over in over 100,000 mi of travel over the last 5 years. Lucky? Maybe, but I just don't see a pattern of bad cops in TX. You learn where the speed traps are and obey the speed limit. Are there some bad cops, sure there are and I would report any cop that pulled me over more than twice for no apparent reason. Municipalities do not like this action by cops as it opens them up to unnecessary legal action. Nip it in the bud.

Well, he never writes a citation, and when he remembers who I am he just follows for a bit then gets off the highway now. I don't speed on major highways or main thorofares, I'm a good rider. Until I hit the twisty back roads. :) considering 20+ years of riding, an even more driving, at more then 100 miles a day, and never even a speeding ticket in my life, I've been pulled over more in Texas then anywhere else. (Washington, Idaho, Montana, Oregon, Canada, and South Carolina among a few places I remember being) yet no tickets. Maybe I'm just a police magnet. :)

I can understand the concern that the riding community has about seemingly undeserved traffic stops and I've had a couple questionable stops in my 47 years riding. But.......almost all have been the result of my own doing, going too fast, cutting lanes, or maybe having something on the bike that didn't meet the state requirements. Once I had an expired temporary plate and the officer caught it. I contested the fine because the dealer was late in getting my new plate. Nonetheless, I knew the plate had expired but neglected to get a new one. On many other occasions I didn't get ticketed when I was in the wrong 100%. I've learned the best way out of a ticket or being held up a long time is to be honest, don't give the cop a bunch of crap, no matter what the issue, and let him/her do their job. Riders can cop an attitude just as bad as the officer and that usually makes matters worse. Ride, ride well, and ride smart. The world isn't out to get you any more than anyone else.

I can understand the concern that the riding community has about seemingly undeserved traffic stops and I've had a couple questionable stops in my 47 years riding. But.......almost all have been the result of my own doing, going too fast, cutting lanes, or maybe having something on the bike that didn't meet the state requirements. Once I had an expired temporary plate and the officer caught it. I contested the fine because the dealer was late in getting my new plate. Nonetheless, I knew the plate had expired but neglected to get a new one. On many other occasions I didn't get ticketed when I was in the wrong 100%. I've learned the best way out of a ticket or being held up a long time is to be honest, don't give the cop a bunch of crap, no matter what the issue, and let him/her do their job. Riders can cop an attitude just as bad as the officer and that usually makes matters worse. Ride, ride well, and ride smart. The world isn't out to get you any more than anyone else.

That was a very well spoken and intelligent piece. You are 100% correct.
However
All it takes is one VERY bad encounter to change your mind. Not saying you will turn on law enforcement but I am saying that if it ever happens you will never forget it.
That is why I'm OK with doing this. I'm not going to get stupid with any police and all of my stuff is in order. BUT since I have had TWO bad encounters with law enforcement - I don't mind driving this road to see if there is anything going on.

Well with riding season approaching, depending on where you live. TX apparently is already in riding season, lots of this will occur. All these bikes garraged up for months, then wham!! the heat is here and silly stuff starts to happen and we're pulled over just to see if all records are in order. To be honest with you, I guess that's the way it has to be. How else would you know if someone is licensed or not. Oh lets not pretend that every biker on the road is riding legally :(

Um, no. It's called the 4th amendment to the U.S. Constitution, and it protects us against unreasonable searches and seizures. Stopping me on a whim to "fish" for whether or not I have a license will land the officer in trouble. Without cause there should be no stop--hence the "high license plate" ruse. Officers are trained--formally or informally--to be ready with "cause". If it were me, and my plate were NOT high, I'd ask him what his cause was and if he's ready to defend against a suit based on an improper stop. At a minimum I'd ask for a supervisor to be brought on scene.....

I have no problems with officers or legitimate stops either. I've had my share.....:cool: Like others have said, when he/she see's I'm almost 50, have my concealed handgun license and I'm carrying (meaning I've had at least one background check), I'm generally let go. My first performance award on a bike, for 71 in a 50 was the exception.....:cool:

Last edited:
I was pulled over awhile ago on my Seca and the officer gave the reason of the bike being too loud. I replied by stating that it wasn't any louder than a Harley and he retorted, "well it isn't a Harley is it!" LOL.

It's on I30 west going through Rockwall, and it's usually between 1:45 am and 2:15 am. (on my way to work)
I wish I knew his whole shift so we could bait him!

OK Missy - The results are in.
I'm afraid we got zip. I started at The Bass Pro Shop parking lot at about 2am and drove I30 East. Drove through the city limits. Not a whole lot of traffic. I went east to the big car dealership. Turned around and drove back heading west. Turned around in the Bass Pro Shop parking lot again and headed east. This time I exited Darlock Rd to go to my friend's house.
So I drove the road one complete pass but I didn't see any police or Hiway Patrol. I really watched for any speed traps but didn't see anything that looked like a trap. I have seen several motorcycle police in Rowlett. They like to park just off the road but seem to just watch traffic. I have never seen them holding a radar gun. They may have something on their bike but I honestly don't think so. I have never seen these guys at night but they may just be very good at hiding.
So it seems like your problem has moved on??

With the great weather here in Texas, I've Bren able to ride into work the last 3 days. I'm normally cautious because I'm on the road at 2 in the morning, and I know cops LOVE motorcycles. :) anyway, I was riding in a pack of about 4 cars, when I see this car in the fast lane come FLYING up, fixin to pass us all. Then he hits the brakes and slows way down. I see him in my side mirror, I'm thinking "that's a cop". No big deal to me, I'm not speeding. HA! He whips in behind me and flips on the lights. As he walks up I'm about to take off my helmet and he sais, " Sir can I see your license and insurance", and as I pull my helmet off and set it on the tank he jumps a little and sais "oh, sorry ma'am"! I reach for my license an ask him why he pulled me over. " your license plate bracket is a little high, it's hard to see" and then tells me he doesn't need to see my insurance, and hands me my license back. Asks me if I'm on my way to work, and where I work, and how long I've had the bike, then tells me to have a great morning.
We ALL know he saw a sport bike at 2 am on the highway and thought he might get some drunk unlicensed kid. What a jerk!!!!

A similar thing happened to me in Santa Monica, CA about 5 years ago.... it was middle of the afternoon, and I was pulled over on a side street by two young cops... They walked up and said "could you please remove your helmet" So I did..... 5 years ago I was 20 y/o and modeling full time, so they were both staring at this point. The first cop looked at me and promply said "Do you even have a motorcycle license?" I replied of course, and handed it to him. He walked away and while he was gone, the other cop proceeds to hit on me relentlessly.... I am a MSF instructor and in CA that means your registered with the CHP... so when they ran my license that info came back, and both cops ended up stumbling all over themselves apologizing.... it was wonderful.

5 years ago I was 20 y/o and modeling full time, so they were both staring at this point. The first cop looked at me and promply said "Do you even have a motorcycle license?" I replied of course, and handed it to him. He walked away and while he was gone, the other cop proceeds to hit on me relentlessly.... I am a MSF instructor and in CA that means your registered with the CHP... so when they ran my license that info came back, and both cops ended up stumbling all over themselves apologizing.... it was wonderful.

:needpics:

Last edited:
Back