Cost of boots

Superbike mag had an article of SIDI boots and how they are made. The 'high end' boot has 110 parts/boot!!!!!!!!!! After reading the article and watching how they are made . . . the $$$$ ain't bad!

I don't have central heating or Air-conditioning so basically I spend my money on the things I find important and don't complain about the price.

My God man --- do you live in a cave??? You forgot to mention one thing --- you're rich and therefore buy whatever you want. Us broke ass Americans have a hard time coming up with hobby stuff with all the taxes we have to pay. I guess or something is damn sure keeping us poor.

The American consumer struggle: I want the best product hand made in America at the price of a mass-produced piece of junk made in Asia.

I can see where Joe is coming from but the reality for me is that $500 for a pair of top-of-the-line racing boots packed with technology and made in Italy just doesn't seem unreasonable.

I would never buy them but I certainly don't think $400-$500 for boots designed for racing applications is not crazy. I'm not a racer and nor do I have that kind of cash for a pair of boots so I settle for something reasonable

It just dawned on me that part of my struggle is that folks don't seem to get the difference between $200 and $500, in relation to cost and value. When you can buy a well made Sidi for $200 --- think about the cost difference to Sidi to add another $300 to the boot. All the leather sole etc. are already there, cost almost has to be minimal.

My next boot will be a Alpine Star.

It just dawned on me that part of my struggle is that folks don't seem to get the difference between $200 and $500, in relation to cost and value. When you can buy a well made Sidi for $200 --- think about the cost difference to Sidi to add another $300 to the boot. All the leather sole etc. are already there, cost almost has to be minimal.

My next boot will be a Alpine Star.

I disagree Joe. The true track boots provide ankle "flop" protection. That's where the ankle is turned to the inside or the outside, kind of like if you sprained an ankle. Hard to explain but the ankle isn't meant to move that way. The track level boots offer that protection, street boots do not. Take a look at the Puma boot and you'll see the exterior brace, that is the technology I'm referring to. Better safety is the reason I upgraded boots and gloves recently. As better safetly technology comes out I buy it. For example, a slider on the plam of a glove an help reduce broken collar bones. My new gloves have that, my old gloves did not. Motorcycles and the track are dangerous enough, I try to midigate the risk as much as I can.

I'm also considering a Leatt neck brace for the track. They ain't cheap at ~ $400+ a pop, but it sure beats the hell out of a wheelchair and not being able to feel my Johnson for the rest of my life.

Last edited:
My God man --- do you live in a cave???

So you have been on Google Earth and seen my ca ...Home.

You forgot to mention one thing --- you're rich and therefore buy whatever you want

You think so, well listen to me and my three old frirnds talk about being wealthy [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13JK5kChbRw]YouTube - ‪Four Yorkshiremen‬‏[/ame]

Wow, and you posted this in the other forum as well....if you can't afford them, don't buy them! And quit your complaining about what you can't change. My old Alpi's wore out, and I gladly forked out $250+ for some new Alpinestar boots that will last me years.

Joe here is the end result.

Nothing is going to change. You will never have enough people on the planet to just stop buying the boots until the prices go down. Not only would you need to be on every forum, but the beauty is most people still don't even know what a forum is. So how exactly do you plan to get this word out?

Either pay the price or wear Nikes. Same thing for tires. Pay the price of Michelin or rock some Shinkos. Pay for the Shoei/Arai or wear a Vega. It is all relative.

/thread

I used to use Sidi boots but moved onto Daytona. Incredible quality, probably some of the best boots you can buy safety-wise but bloody expensive!

Daytona EVO Sports Gore Tex Boots | Infinity Motorcycles

I bought my Daytona's five years ago and have used them year round with absolutely no problems and in all honesty I'd rather be wearing a pair of these if I come off the bike than a pair of Alpinestars or Sidi's. The deciding factor for me was speaking to a couple of road racers at the IoM a few years back. We got talking about kit and a couple mentioned that if you look at any road racer except for those with buck money sponsorship deals, they all wear Daytona as they think they're the best available.

Come and buy some boots in Australia and then you will see what expensive is.
Our dollar is currently worth 1.06 USD and we pay much more for our gear here.
That's why we buy everything from the US as it's way cheaper than over here in the land of Oz.

i protest by waiting for a deal.I wanted an AStar jacket for years it finally paid off picked one up on the clearance rack at Cyclegear for 120 marked down from 300

i protest by waiting for a deal.I wanted an AStar jacket for years it finally paid off picked one up on the clearance rack at Cyclegear for 120 marked down from 300

Good man! There are deals to be had. I rarely ever buy this years model and wait until preveious year items go on clearance.

It is Italian so why did ya think they were cheap. Wait for the closeouts. Retailers have more than 100% margin on all gear and clothes so even at closeout prices they make something on them. The reason gear/clothes are priced so high as they sit in the warehouses for a long time.

I have a set of Oxtar TCX Evo Ti and Sidi B2 boots both bought at sub $150 at closeouts where their msrps were $300-400

I disagree Joe. The true track boots provide ankle "flop" protection. That's where the ankle is turned to the inside or the outside, kind of like if you sprained an ankle. Hard to explain but the ankle isn't meant to move that way. The track level boots offer that protection, street boots do not. Take a look at the Puma boot and you'll see the exterior brace, that is the technology I'm referring to. Better safety is the reason I upgraded boots and gloves recently. As better safetly technology comes out I buy it. For example, a slider on the plam of a glove an help reduce broken collar bones. My new gloves have that, my old gloves did not. Motorcycles and the track are dangerous enough, I try to midigate the risk as much as I can.

I'm also considering a Leatt neck brace for the track. They ain't cheap at ~ $400+ a pop, but it sure beats the hell out of a wheelchair and not being able to feel my Johnson for the rest of my life.

The Sidi also has flop protection which actually won't work or at best depends on the way you are hit or squeezed.

Nothing will help prevent a broken collarbone depending on the way you land. I definitely can't figure out how something on your glove will help. I have been taught to cross my chest with my arms in a crash -- to avoid broken arms. The collarbone depends on how tough you are and how you land or flip.

The Sidi also has flop protection which actually won't work or at best depends on the way you are hit or squeezed.

Nothing will help prevent a broken collarbone depending on the way you land. I definitely can't figure out how something on your glove will help. I have been taught to cross my chest with my arms in a crash -- to avoid broken arms. The collarbone depends on how tough you are and how you land or flip.

Yes and no. Your natural instinct is to put your arm out in a fall, it's a reflex. If you have a glove what is only leather it tends to stick to the ground. This does two things 1) It transfers all of the force of the fall to your arm, 2) it can cause the seams of your gloves to rip apart. A glove with a slider helps prevent those two things from happening. Is it 100%, no. Look at the leathers of pro racers, they all have a metal shoulder puck, that does two things 1) spread the load of a fall over a wider area, 2) allow the shoulder to slide and not hang up. Both of these help prevent broken collar bones. In MotoGP several riders have stated that without this type of protection they would have missed a number of races instead of just being sore. "Tough" has nothing to do with injuries, they just happen so you may as well protect yourself. As far as crossing your arms, you not crashed too much have you? I had low sides happen so fast I had not time to respond, I was down in a flash; I've highsided and landed so hard that I needed a helicopter ride and lost about 2 days of memory. In an accident you can't respond fast enough at times.

The point being the better the gear, the better the protection for the most part - i.e. - All gear is not created equal, and better gear will almost always cost more.

Last edited:
Yes and no. Your natural instinct is to put your arm out in a fall, it's a reflex. If you have a glove what is only leather it tends to stick to the ground. This does two things 1) It transfers all of the force of the fall to your arm, 2) it can cause the seams of your gloves to rip apart. A glove with a slider helps prevent those two things from happening. Is it 100%, no. Look at the leathers of pro racers, they all have a metal shoulder puck, that does two things 1) spread the load of a fall over a wider area, 2) allow the shoulder to slide and not hang up. Both of these help prevent broken collar bones. In MotoGP several riders have stated that without this type of protection they would have missed a number of races instead of just being sore. "Tough" has nothing to do with injuries, they just happen so you may as well protect yourself. As far as crossing your arms, you not crashed too much have you? I had low sides happen so fast I had not time to respond, I was down in a flash; I've highsided and landed so hard that I needed a helicopter ride and lost about 2 days of memory. In an accident you can't respond fast enough at times.

The point being the better the gear, the better the protection for the most part - i.e. - All gear is not created equal, and better gear will almost always cost more.

A racer doesn't have natural instincts --- we practice what we are going to do in a given situation. The more you crash the better your ability to stay calm and do what you are suppose to do. What you have mentally trained to do.

Sticking your arms out is stupid and will get your arms hurt. Tuck and roll. Accidents do happen fast but you always have enough time to make critical decisions.

I have crashed many times and I know that all racers are better crashers because they have the practice necessary to become better.

Back