Cost of boots

Nothing will help prevent a broken collarbone depending on the way you land. I definitely can't figure out how something on your glove will help. I have been taught to cross my chest with my arms in a crash -- to avoid broken arms. The collarbone depends on how tough you are and how you land or flip.

You are probably quite right, every time I have a head on with a fuel tanker, I always remember to put out my cigarette to avoid an explosion then quickly place my hands down my trousers and cover the family jewels so that the wife will have at least one method of identifying me, "small mercies"

You see I am no fool, I always follow the rules of safety as dictated to us by the Government safety departments. see below.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKqXu-5jw60"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKqXu-5jw60[/ame]

Last edited:
Keep it civil guys. We have rules and this is getting too close to the edge. Healthy debate is OK but leave the sarcasm out of these threads especially when they sound like personal attacks.

You are probably quite right, every time I have a head on with a fuel tanker, I always remember to put out my cigarette to avoid an explosion then quickly place my hands down my trousers and cover the family jewels so that the wife will have at least one method of identifying me, "small mercies"

Good point -- that's why I quit riding while smoking --- too much to think about. :) I'm too damn fat to get my hands in my trousers --- you're lucky, that would be a good thing to hold on to. :)

CJ, I appreciate that you took what I posted in the humorous manner it was meant, however if admins think it crosses the line please feel free to remove it, it was certainly not meant as any form of personal insult mate.

Thanks CJ, I am aware that we Aussies frequently lack the common decencys of normal human beings and I do never mean to rubbish my fellow motorbicyclists. (I am actually quite chuffed that my memory goes back to 1951). :)

A racer doesn't have natural instincts --- we practice what we are going to do in a given situation. The more you crash the better your ability to stay calm and do what you are suppose to do. What you have mentally trained to do.

Sticking your arms out is stupid and will get your arms hurt. Tuck and roll. Accidents do happen fast but you always have enough time to make critical decisions.

I have crashed many times and I know that all racers are better crashers because they have the practice necessary to become better.

No you don't want to tuck and roll, that is the last thing you want to do. In a low side you want to let go of the bike, slide on your back and keep your arms out so you don't tumble. If you tumble you tend to break things. In a highside, well good luck, I hope your gear is good.

Sent from my MB508 using Tapatalk

No you don't want to tuck and roll, that is the last thing you want to do. In a low side you want to let go of the bike, slide on your back and keep your arms out so you don't tumble. If you tumble you tend to break things. In a highside, well good luck, I hope your gear is good.

Sent from my MB508 using Tapatalk

You crash however you want. You're apparently a professional.

Actually, as a 26 year rider and former Washington State safety instructor, he is correct. Tucking an rolling is how things break, arms, legs, necks, your jacket and pants, IF proper gear, have armor and extra layers because you ARE supposed to slide on your back. Recently when I had my first "get off", I actually did do this, and walked away relatively uninjured, just bruised from initial contact with the pavement. I guess it was so ingrained in my brain it came automatically.

Actually, as a 26 year rider and former Washington State safety instructor, he is correct. Tucking an rolling is how things break, arms, legs, necks, your jacket and pants, IF proper gear, have armor and extra layers because you ARE supposed to slide on your back. Recently when I had my first "get off", I actually did do this, and walked away relatively uninjured, just bruised from initial contact with the pavement. I guess it was so ingrained in my brain it came automatically.

Well, good luck getting on your back to slide in a high side incident. I was probably crashing bikes before you were born. But, I'm sure you had some safety class that taught you all about it.

Well, good luck getting on your back to slide in a high side incident. I was probably crashing bikes before you were born. But, I'm sure you had some safety class that taught you all about it.

Hence why Pete said.....

Hellgate said:
In a highside, well good luck, I hope your gear is good.

Pete has raced and has many track days under his belt. Based on what Missy and Pete said, they are correct with what I was taught to do as well. High-sided last year and landed on my hip/shoulder... immediately flopped over on my back with my arms out. Slid to a stop and walked back to the bike. ;)

Can we get back to the price of boots? I saw some at Payless for onle $14.99! I bought a few sets for the tricycle races I am in this weekend. Will give crash reports later.

There's PLENTY of boots out there for cheap. I wonder who on this site has paid over $300 for a pair of boots? I've never spent more than $125 for boots but I use street boots, not race-ready boots. Yes, I could/should have more protection and certainly would if I lived down in the VA/NC/TN/GA areas where the roads are so inviting!

Open up an internet window and watch some race crash highlights. Most of the time, you will see that (if they can help it) sliding is the preferred way to ride out a crash. You spread out the body mass, which slows you down quicker...simple physics, and, it just makes sense. Day one of racing school is what to do when you fall...because you will at some point if you want to race. When you fall off, if you can, get flat.

Use the same amount of force with an empty soda can and roll it on a tile floor...now crush it and do the same thing. Which takes longer to stop? Same weight, should stop in the same distance...but - gasp! - it takes longer for the rolling one to stop!

Try sliding down a decent size hill in race leathers, and then go back up and roll down that same hill. Which end result felt better to your body?

Back