Cost of boots

Can we get back to the price of boots? I saw some at Payless for onle $14.99! I bought a few sets for the tricycle races I am in this weekend. Will give crash reports later.

Tricycle racing can be more dangerous than bikes. Fizzy put his foot down a couple of years ago to try to slow down and broke his ankle in several places. I believe in wearing a quality boot. I just started this thread because the price of these quality boots just gets worse every year.

Tricycle racing can be more dangerous than bikes. Fizzy put his foot down a couple of years ago to try to slow down and broke his ankle in several places. I believe in wearing a quality boot. I just started this thread because the price of these quality boots just gets worse every year.

I saw that one... nasty! But, his incident needs to be quantified by adding that he had modified the soles of the boots with some really grippy rubber which prevented them from sliding, thus at his speed, when he touched down? SNAP! That was some great grip but a terrible outcome! His unmodified boot likely wouldn't have done that and spared his ankle. That was a painful video to watch!!! :eek5:

Open up an internet window and watch some race crash highlights. Most of the time, you will see that (if they can help it) sliding is the preferred way to ride out a crash. You spread out the body mass, which slows you down quicker...simple physics, and, it just makes sense. Day one of racing school is what to do when you fall...because you will at some point if you want to race. When you fall off, if you can, get flat.

Use the same amount of force with an empty soda can and roll it on a tile floor...now crush it and do the same thing. Which takes longer to stop? Same weight, should stop in the same distance...but - gasp! - it takes longer for the rolling one to stop!

Try sliding down a decent size hill in race leathers, and then go back up and roll down that same hill. Which end result felt better to your body?
I really have no desire to discuss crashing because it's silly. This got started because someone mentioned sticking your arms out which I totally disagree with. However, in a low side or whenever possible I also believe in sliding. In a low side you are usually in a natural sliding position which immediately removes you and separates you from the bike because it will slide faster than you.

I saw that one... nasty! But, his incident needs to be quantified by adding that he had modified the soles of the boots with some really grippy rubber which prevented them from sliding, thus at his speed, when he touched down? SNAP! That was some great grip but a terrible outcome! His unmodified boot likely wouldn't have done that and spared his ankle. That was a painful video to watch!!! :eek5:
Yep, I was there when it happened. Another guy also had to be air lifted out from that stupid tricycle race --- so they stopped having them --- too many unknowns. :)

There's PLENTY of boots out there for cheap. I wonder who on this site has paid over $300 for a pair of boots? I've never spent more than $125 for boots but I use street boots, not race-ready boots. Yes, I could/should have more protection and certainly would if I lived down in the VA/NC/TN/GA areas where the roads are so inviting!

I low sided one time in a pair of high top work boots from Wally world. The bike landed on the leg and broke it but didn't hurt my ankle. Your ankle can be hurt just as much from a sideways movement, like when you step in a small hole, as from having a bike squish it some. Every accident is different.

Even though I wear Sidi Vertigo boots I have dissappointed that they allow my ankle to move sideways too much but in different crashes, my ankles have come out allright. So --- you never know. I guess.

Well, good luck getting on your back to slide in a high side incident. I was probably crashing bikes before you were born. But, I'm sure you had some safety class that taught you all about it.

Oh well, admittedly I'm not a professional crasher. But for 26 years I've put 15,000 to 18,000 miles on my bikes. Taken every rider course available, including track days, and taught courses myself, so, really, please don't dismiss me as some young rider with no experience, or somehow less then you are.
Did the bikes you started off on have tires carved of stone, since it was so long ago? :)

Well, good luck getting on your back to slide in a high side incident. I was probably crashing bikes before you were born. But, I'm sure you had some safety class that taught you all about it.

Getting a little defensive Joe??? Geez, I mean this is a discussion on boots afterall...not how to balance the national budget. :p

No one said anything about sliding in a high side, ideally yes.

The last time I high sided I was a lawn dart and then tumbled at about 100 to 120 mph. I broke all of the ribs on my left side, my left collar bone, lost memory for two days, burned through my gloves and the seat of my leathers. Thank goodness for my Shoei, a first generation back protector, flight for life and morphine.

Oh well, admittedly I'm not a professional crasher. But for 26 years I've put 15,000 to 18,000 miles on my bikes. Taken every rider course available, including track days, and taught courses myself, so, really, please don't dismiss me as some young rider with no experience, or somehow less then you are.
Did the bikes you started off on have tires carved of stone, since it was so long ago? :)

hehehehe --- Just about. I was racing the desert in Ca. when the movie On Any Sunday was made. If you have ever seen it?? I'm not suggesting that you have no experience but your post was as if I didn't have any.

I know folks that have ridden bikes forever and have never actually learned how to ride. Not that the statement might apply to you. They have never practiced emergency stopping, emergency changing lanes, have never intentionally laid a bike down. I'm sure there are a lot of good things to learn in riding courses but they are not the only place to gain experience.

I have totaled 3 bikes and crashed at least 10 times in the last 10 years. I ride like a crazy fool but I've also avoided crashing many times by doing the right thing.

Confidence is the key to riding ability and the less a person is afraid of -- the more confident they will ride.

Fact the best way to crash is to get your butt on the ground sit-up grab your ankles and spin like you are on a sit and spin a wave is optional. Oh make sure you are wearing a pair of boots you just paid too much for. Any other theory is BS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CJ It is possible to slide after a highside but generally speaking you have to be dead to do so.

I must have had 1000+ low sides in my 24 years at the track and only 5 high sides all of which landed me in hospital and to back up CJ, I had no control as to how I landed after a high side whereas I was never seriously injured after even a very fast low side.

I am also considering exploring the potential for designing an expensive pair of boots that you can kick off when you fall thus saving expensive damage to them during a fall. :)

what a bunch of pansies,I wear sandals when I ride cause its the in thing to do!!!

They you go CJ, just another Silver-tail boasting that he can afford designer Sandals, probably a bloody BMW rider cause of those stupid cylinders sticking out the sides the bike can't land on your feet if it falls over.

Joe! I found a pair for you; real, genuine motor-sickle boots. Made by Mr. Harlee David's son. Current bid is $2.31. :shine: Free shipping too.

Harley Davidson Leather boots | eBay

Well --- you laugh -- but those boots would damn sure p-rotect your ankle in a crash. That's what we use to wear when I first started racing dirt. They didn't have cool boots back then and strapping those things up above your calf really worked and kept us from getting burnt on the pipe.

We also use to bolt a football face guard to our helmet to make it a full face.
Yep --- those were the days --- no expensive stuff around to buy and we still made do. I never broke a bone racing desert but have on the street.

Give any Oil Rig man from the Gulf of Texaco $10 and he will get you a brand new pair, that is an Oil Mans' work boot and has been for 50 years.

hehehe Those totally suck and can get pulled off in a crash. The price is a little high! :)

Give any Oil Rig man from the Gulf of Texaco $10 and he will get you a brand new pair, that is an Oil Mans' work boot and has been for 50 years.

Both of you are right.
Talking about the price of new boots being outrageous - it kills me to see someone take an old pair of boots and call them "Vintage", then put a 1K price tag on them. Now that is crazy!!!

Back