Cost of boots

So --- everyone seemed to be happy with the cost of tire, how about boots.

Sidi's top of the line race boot has gone up from $395 to $495 IN ONE YEAR.

To me, that is ridiculous -- but -- if the guys go ahead and pay it, then we are screwed for good.

I would love to see a group effort to get the point across that this crap is just getting out of line.

Discussion.

meh. You just have to shop around... I don't mind wearing used boots.. so I bought a set of Oxtar boots for $40 that I couldn't tell were used when I got them.... I bought my previous boots, my AlpineStars SMX 4's on closeout for $100... You don't have to pa $495 for a pair of boots... if you do, it's because you choose to... I always wanted a "Top of the line" helmet... I waited... and watched... and finally, I got a deal on a brand new Shoei X-11 for $250... that's a DEAL! ... You just have to be willing to put the time into paying the price you want... If you have to have the latest model... you have to be willing to pay the premium for it... But I can't think of a single time where a new model of something has come out, and the older model's price hasn't dropped....

So --- everyone seemed to be happy with the cost of tire, how about boots.

Sidi's top of the line race boot has gone up from $395 to $495 IN ONE YEAR.

To me, that is ridiculous -- but -- if the guys go ahead and pay it, then we are screwed for good.

I would love to see a group effort to get the point across that this crap is just getting out of line.

Discussion.

You can still get the previous yer models at a discount. I got my Vertigo earlier this year for new for $285 from my local shop. Then again I have no idea if vertigo was top of the line.

Anything new on the new boot or is it exactly the same as the old one? Materials, manufacturing processes and exchange rates play a lot into all of this. Of course, supply and demand as well. However, I don't know a lot of folks sporting the high dollar boots.

Additionally, Sidi makes a good product. I'm still sporting my original vertebras from way back in the day. Soon as I wear out the soles I'll just replace the soles with new ones. I'll do that as I don't have $200 for new boots, let alone $500.

I am not trying to discuss --- where to buy boots or tires for whatever price.

The point is --- Sidi and these other manufacturers have become ridiculous on what they think we will pay and I think if we get the word out to complain --- maybe they will reign it in some.

Apparently you guys love what you pay for stuff.

When I bought my Vertigo --- they were $300 and I thought that was ridiculous to pay for a boot. Then, I go ride in the twisties and I swear --- everyone had them. I was really surprised that folks were willing to pay so much. I only did because I need ankle protection, now I'm starting to wonder.

I have resoled my boot also and scratched them up from crashing but I still would like to get a new pair for a fair price.

You don't need $400 boots for comfort and safety.....Sidi sells a good $200 boot that will fulfill street use. I wear a pair of Sidi boots that I've had since 2003 and they still are fine. Motorcycling gear has never been cheap but it's not something you have to change every year. What's the next rant going to be over ..... helmets? Jackets? Gloves?

And let's not forget, our wonderful folks in charge have demolished the value of the dollar, and that is going to raise prices. Importers have tried to hold prices for as long as possible but eventually they can't absorb it any more. And the prices for stuff in the US is still far cheaper than other markets.

Last edited:
You don't need $400 boots for comfort and safety.....Sidi sells a good $200 boot that will fulfill street use. I wear a pair of Sidi boots that I've had since 2003 and they still are fine. Motorcycling gear has never been cheap but it's not something you have to change every year. What's the next rant going to be over ..... helmets? Jackets? Gloves?

And let's not forget, our wonderful folks in charge have demolished the value of the dollar, and that is going to raise prices. Importers have tried to hold prices for as long as possible but eventually they can't absorb it any more. And the prices for stuff in the US is still far cheaper than other markets.

Geeeeeze, I never thought of it like that --- We should be feeling sorry for the manufacturers.

We have a lot of competition in helmets and jackets but few in racing boots.

I have no problem paying $300 for a pair of boots as long as I can get 3 to 4 years out of them. I won't spend any more than that.

People are obviously willing to pay what they charge though. They are everywhere

A few weeks ago I bought a pair of Alpinestars SMX Plus boots for $289 shipped to the door from STG. Alpinestars Boots | Sportbiketrackgear.com

As far as $495 for boots, well it is a lot of money, but with Sidi you get what you pay for. I have two pair of their cycling shoes and they are simply the best. My road shoes are about eight years old and have about 40,000+ miles on them. They cost about $259 and are still in great shape.

Also consider that the exchange rate has a lot to do with cost, and this year materials and fuel has risen a fair amount.

I shop Ebay for gear too. I recently bought a pair of Alpinestars GP Tech gloves, retail for $299, for $175 shipped. They had been worn for one track day and look brand new. Get this, the guy wears brand new gloves every time he goes to the track, go figure...

This is why you don't skimp on quality boots, XRay was taken with leg inside the boot and the surgeon said unequivocably, that had I not had on the quality boots I did NO FUVKING LEG.

xray1.jpg
[/IMG]

I was hit by the chrome bumper bar of a 1977 Datsun that picked me and my bike up and threw us over a roundabout into oncomming traffic which took a lump out of my elbow and shoulder.

This is what it looks like now.

xray2.jpg

It works but because of the nerve damage I count 2 hours sleep a night as a "Good night"

Had I lost the leg I quite probably have suffered "Phantom limb pain" without the benifit of having a leg to rub.

Joe I get what you are saying. The SRP is very high on many items that are sold for specific motorcycle use. The discounts everyone are so happy with are based on what it cost for the retailer to buy them. I agree that a 25% increase from one year to the next is a bit high.

I don't necessarily equate price with quality. I agree with the others, I try to shop for the best deal on my gear. Sometimes the original price can drive the discount price. If the thing is starting near $500 even the discounted price is beyond my budget!

Joe I get what you are saying. The SRP is very high on many items that are sold for specific motorcycle use. The discounts everyone are so happy with are based on what it cost for the retailer to buy them. I agree that a 25% increase from one year to the next is a bit high.

I don't necessarily equate price with quality. I agree with the others, I try to shop for the best deal on my gear. Sometimes the original price can drive the discount price. If the thing is starting near $500 even the discounted price is beyond my budget!

That is the other problem with SIDI --- they don't discount.

I get what you are saying about the prices Joe but if there is one country on Earth that has the ability to drive prices down to a reasonable level is the USA, you have the biggest bargaining power in the world as you are the greatest consumers in the world, use it.

A pair of boots for me in Australia because I now have a deformed ankle is around $1600 IF I CAN GET THEM, I had to have the last pair hand made, $2700, I would kill to buy good boots for $500.

I don't skimp on MC clothing, my Australian made Tiger Angel two piece 4 season suit $2700, likewise gloves, because I won't sacrifice price for quality and control, I use hand made Kangaroo Skin winter gloves (12 years old now "I don't use them at the track") gortex lined from only $780 but they are totally Waterproof, Breathe, have incredible feel, come with three different types of inner liners and the Kangaroo hide is the strongest and softest there is but they cost $$$$ but then I don't wear jewelrey, buy $2000 Italian Leather High Heel shoes, I dress like a bum, I don't have a SUV, central heating or Air-conditioning so basically I spend my money on the things I find important and don't complain about the price.

Back