Big weekend of mods ahead - asking for last minute pointers

JMEMGC

Hi Guys,

I have finally received all the parts for my next round of mods and I think I have done all the research I will be needing but I thought I would just put it out there and ask the members for any last minute pointers and for any trouble spots I should plan for.

I have received the new header from Yoshi (great service from ATV Galaxy and Yoshi evetually) to replace the not so nice one sent with my full system so mod 1 is new complete system. Any pointers

Also received my 07 R1 front end, have new levers for the R1 master cylinder, new rotors (R1 rotors) Rizoma resevoir with mount, R1 axle and braided lines to go on - have I forgotten anything ? WHat to look out for when actually spannering ? Oh and have borrowed a head stand to lift the front end to make it a little easier.

Also got a lithium battery to go in but if I can't handle that then I should definetly not be replacing a front end lol

And finally 16t (gen1 factory) sprocket. Have a 32mm and 36mm socket and heat gun handy ;) Already installing drd speedo healer and gip[ro gear indicator so will re calibrate once finished.

Advice and or warning would be appreciated

I am hoping that this round of mods will cure me for awhile. Am hoping the front end improves the bike as much as the rear end and pirelli tyres did - because I will then be a happy happy camper. Once these round of mods is done it's of to the dyno for a retune :)

thanks in advance

Do you also have the R1 calipers? I would look at replacing the oil and seals in the R1 forks before you fit them up.

Clean the headers with Alcohol before you start up the bike to reduce spotting.

Sent from my Nexus 5

Get a tube of Ultra Copper and put some on the header gaskets to hold them in place to install the headers.

Wrap a 2x4 with a leather or a microfiber towel and use it in the wheel against the swingarm to hold the sprocket and loosen the nut.

Do you also have the R1 calipers? I would look at replacing the oil and seals in the R1 forks before you fit them up.

Clean the headers with Alcohol before you start up the bike to reduce spotting.

these are the things i was gonna mention. servicing the forks prior to install is a good idea as you have no idea as to their history, when they were last serviced etc, fresh oil makes a world of difference. depending on your weight, doing springs and valves aint a bad idea either.

you'll need the r1 calipers to go with the rest. you can usually find em for $100 ish on the r1 forums.

and when you're installing the header, wear fresh clean gloves

also, on the braided lines you bought. did you buy R1 lines or FZ1 lines? if you bought R1 lines, they'll be too short and won't work (because of the raised handlebars on the fz vs the clip ons of the r1) i know this cuz, i have a spare set of R1 braided lines in my shop lol then i ordered lines with 2"+ extensions and they're a perfect fit.

Get a tube of Ultra Copper and put some on the header gaskets to hold them in place to install the headers.

Wrap a 2x4 with a leather or a microfiber towel and use it in the wheel against the swingarm to hold the sprocket and loosen the nut.

if using a air gun you won't need to do this, it pops right off. if by hand then do ^

Thanks guys.

Yep consulted Ballmead back when and ordered R1 lines 50mm longer.
Copy on the copper grease - saw that in another post.
Ballmead 6spot Calipers in hand - and new levers although I have discovered its a lucky thing havng bar end mirrors because replacing the FZ1N complete brake lever mount means no threaded section when installing R1 MC.... Clutch mounting obviously no drama just brake mount..

But first MAJOR stumbling point. Got most of the front end off tonight. Worked slowly and relaxed with a mate drinking a few beers. Was relaxing and social. Forks, Brakes, Wheel done Belly pan then Header removal time. Thought OK time to grab my nice new Yoshimura exhaust with my second Yoshimura header recently arrived. Remove the bubble wrap that has been protecting the can AND THERE IS A NICE FUCKING DENT IN THE EXHAUST CAN ..... Angry at this point I decide to wipe the exhaust done and inspect under harsh light - AND THERE IS A FUCKING INCH LONG SCRATCH ON THE BACK SIDE OF THE EXHAUST CAN...............................................................

I am so so Fing done with Yoshi - regardless off their service in replacing the subpar header THEY supplied. I now have a bike totally unable to be riden. I waited until I had all the parts I needed and now my bike can not get back on the road for weeks because I will have to send a brand new exhaust part back to America AGAIN................

Yoshimura is lucky I can not arrive on their doorstep right about now as I am feeling violent towards them ;) - Guess its back to Yoshi bashing for me again lol

Are you ordering directly from Yoshimura or are you dealing with a retailer? If it is a retailer, I'd contact Yosh directly and express your concerns with them... lay out the details and ask for an expedited advance-replacement!

This is part of the reason I went with Graves. Also because Yosh is more of a Suzuki bike brand than Yamaha in my eyes anyway. I wanted something that fit and finish was a little better on goes with the lines of the bike more and don't need a bracket off the passenger area to support it. Yosh has a good set-up I just wanted something different.

Dealing with a retailer, who had trouble as did I getting Yoshi to come to the party over the header issue.
Brohay I still have the stock exhaust.

Dealing with an Australian distributor is the problem! Service is not in the vocabulary. PS Advice Make sure you plug the Speedo Healer/DRD and Gipro in in the correct order.

Sorry to hear about your can being scratched. You can get a rizoma adapter to use on the R1 master cylinder to add a mirror to it. That's what I did and you can fit the fluid reservoir mount in between.

This is part of the reason I went with Graves. Also because Yosh is more of a Suzuki bike brand than Yamaha in my eyes anyway. I wanted something that fit and finish was a little better on goes with the lines of the bike more and don't need a bracket off the passenger area to support it. Yosh has a good set-up I just wanted something different.

DITTO !! And the welds are artwork.
Sorry for your luck JM. I went through the same shit with staintune on my Honda . I got a system that did not fit sent it back and recieved another exactly the same. The merchant was trying to talk me into taking it to an exhaust shop to get it bent ? Then tried to force me to take a $1500 credit and no refund !! Get the Graves
agu9yma9.jpg

Thanks for your support guys. Last time I buy/recommend Yoshi. Having always been a Suzi boy Yoshi was always my first choice as Gamecock is exactly right. Already had a Yoshi slipon on my FZ so I figured why reinvent the wheel. Wish now I went with something else......

Blanchy drd/speedo healer went in a couple weeks ago with no drama's - its a bitch trying to read a GPS and my Speedo at the same time while riding lol - ended up using 1000 mile an hour tape to strap it to my left forearm ;)

Cheers Dicko - luckily I already had barend mirrors on the bike. Just thought I would mention it as I had never seen that issue in any of the conversion threads.

Ok enough typing - time to head to the mancave and put my baby back together. I have decided to call her Bitza, had her for 9 months with out naming her which is not right ;)

I put a speedo app on my phone and with two large rubber bands attached it to the handlebar clamp. Makes reading both easy. The Gipro has to be plugged in after the speedo healer ie Speedo healer must be on the sensor side.

you sir have some bad luck. that is insane :( haven't really heard of that being an issue but for back to back products to be faulty? crazy. i've installed dozens of those systems without ever seeing a blemish so thats really unfortunate

Yep Jared I would never have expected it from Yoshi. Oh and got everything buttoned back up nicely and bleed the brakes - only to discover fully seals in both Calipers |-O..... I am cursed ATM lol

Back