Why should I buy an FZ1?

Id say that the FZ splits the difference between your Connie and the SV.

As for the reviews that you've read, they are accurate for a STOCK FZ. Research the mods. If you add the right ones, it will make you laugh in your helmet. Pipe, PC, airbox and IVAN's reflash are the must do's.

Seems like a great deal.

I just recently got a '12 after buying a Gen I '02 new and riding it for 11 years. I loved that bike and love this one as well. There are probably a lot of guys with much more experience with all different bikes but so far I've never had to look at others. At various times I've been smitten and tempted by Multistradas (too expensive), Thruxtons (68 horsepower!) and others. Both generations of the FZ1 really are "do it all" bikes. The Gen II is a blast around town with more than enough oomph all over the power band (for me anyway). I'm 48 and in decent shape but the few times I've been on a straight sport bike like my brother-in-law's RSV my wrists go numb, I can ride all day on either generation FZ1.

For power the low end might be lacking but it revs fast and doesn't feel out of control to me. The '12 handles like a dream and has made me a more confident rider and I've been riding for awhile (I have a 97 Vmax and had a Honda XL185 as well).

I guess if you come to an FZ1 forum you have to expect the FZ1 to be talked up. There are a few minor things I'm not crazy about (gas mileage) but they are really small quibbles. I'm sure there are dozens of different models that do what the FZ1 does but the bottom line is you wouldn't be making the wrong choice if you picked up one.

Oh and :welcome:
Hey thanks for the input He asking $5800 for this bike. I can probably get it for a little less than that. Don't sound bad for an 08. It has several add-ons. Rear fender kit, speed ferring, etc. I'm leaning towards making him an offer. Only thing holding me back is the fact that I've never ridden an FZ1.

FZ1 has plenty of power to pull around town even with 2-up riding. I've found a sweet spot between 2.7k-3k rpm's.

FZ will be much livelier handling and responsive than a cruiser, but it's a very easy bike to ride IMO and not scary. Gas-clutch-gear relationship is outstanding.

Gas: If you don't use spurs-an honest 41 to 45 mpg. Use the spurs and it's like flushing a toilet.

In line 4's are very smooth, but on a FZ1 I don't believe you're operating within the power band until 6.5k or 7k rpm's. Things get fun in the power band...and every possible speed limit is being broken in 3rd gear and you have three more gears to go.

Downside: No seat comfort after an hour.

ReturnRider says: Just imagine how that test ride would have been if u rode an 02 (fastest silver) fz1?! It might have had two gears you never experienced! Sorry, I couldn't resist!

Yep, I think so - Granny Gear and Great Granny Gear.: owned:

I'm riding a 1st Gen FZ1 and like it pretty well. I would get a new bike but I don't know what I would replace it with. It just works well for everything I want in a bike. If I was to get a new one it would only be for ego.

It looks like the 2014 model is a really nice bike. :deal:

Until you attempt to brake and the linked braking system and ABS freak out causing you to drop it and crack all that pretty green plastic. :cry:

Sorry, I'm still bitter since the demo ride I did on one last year was the worst experience I've ever had on a motorcycle.

Until you attempt to brake and the linked braking system and ABS freak out causing you to drop it and crack all that pretty green plastic. :cry:

Sorry, I'm still bitter since the demo ride I did on one last year was the worst experience I've ever had on a motorcycle.

I just rode one on Sunday that is owned and set-up by a former Gen2 FZ1 owner. I would have a hard time not picking it as my next "do it all" bike.

I am not a huge fan of the linked brakes of most bikes myself. The FJR guys have already found the way to disable that on the Gen 3 FJR and I'm sure that the Kawi can have it done as well.

I have heard that too but the brakes an suspension are updated for 2014 along with a few performance changes as well.

I plan on test riding this one as long as a couple others before deciding which way to go next season. :tup:

The Kawasaki website does not mention linked brakes for the 2014 model.

• NEW One-piece “monobloc” radial-mount front brake calipers offer superb braking power and control, along with a premium quality look from their laser-etched Kawasaki logo and black alumite finish
• Small and lightweight ABS unit with a high-spec ECU is capable of detailed calculations for ultra-smooth operation
• A low-battery mode maintains ABS function as best as possible when the battery charge is low. In this mode, ABS timing and pressure relief functions are maintained to help preserve brake effectiveness (although riders will notice that ABS operation is less smooth than in normal mode)
• Petal-type 300mm front brake rotors are full-on sportbike hardware
• A radial-pump front brake master cylinder contributes to the superb control and feel offered by these high-end monobloc calipers
• The rear brake is a single-piston, pin-slide caliper gripping a 250mm petal-type disc. The caliper is mounted below the swingarm, and located by a torque rod.

The Kawasaki website does not mention linked brakes for the 2014 model.

• NEW One-piece “monobloc” radial-mount front brake calipers offer superb braking power and control, along with a premium quality look from their laser-etched Kawasaki logo and black alumite finish
• Small and lightweight ABS unit with a high-spec ECU is capable of detailed calculations for ultra-smooth operation
• A low-battery mode maintains ABS function as best as possible when the battery charge is low. In this mode, ABS timing and pressure relief functions are maintained to help preserve brake effectiveness (although riders will notice that ABS operation is less smooth than in normal mode)
• Petal-type 300mm front brake rotors are full-on sportbike hardware
• A radial-pump front brake master cylinder contributes to the superb control and feel offered by these high-end monobloc calipers
• The rear brake is a single-piston, pin-slide caliper gripping a 250mm petal-type disc. The caliper is mounted below the swingarm, and located by a torque rod.

Yeah it isn't in the written but I read somewhere in a review they addressed the link brakes issues that were reported. None the less IF i was to buy one I would find the way to eliminate the link feature and turn it back to user control. I prefer to have control of my brakes. :tup:

Fz1

Hi, I've just registered as I have just bought an fz1 and it is awesome, foot pegs are great position for me and I'm 6ft 3, I had fz6 before and have gone to the big boy now and it is amazing, I think it has great power all the way through and I hate it when I have to get off !!! :wow:

I have had my FZ1 nearly 4 years, it's a 2009 with lots of bling on it. The beauty of this bike is you can tour, pose and Sunday blast all in comfort. All this lower end stuff is bollocks to me, just drop it down a gear and wind it up and you are sorted. Sure the top end is scary but not often used.

I also adjusted the suspension to suit my style and weight, this transformed the feel for me and it handles beautifully.

If I had realised that the FZ1 was like a 600 under 7000rpm and I would have to chuck 2k at it to make it go, then I wouldnt have bought it.

Now Ive poured tons of cash at it, Im 95% happy.

Once the front end suspension is set right, I'll be 100% happy with it.

Back