Why should I buy an FZ1?

If I had realised that the FZ1 was like a 600 under 7000rpm and I would have to chuck 2k at it to make it go, then I wouldnt have bought it.

Now Ive poured tons of cash at it, Im 95% happy.

Once the front end suspension is set right, I'll be 100% happy with it.

Maybe you would have been happier with a bike like the Tuono?

Hi, I've just registered as I have just bought an fz1 and it is awesome, foot pegs are great position for me and I'm 6ft 3, I had fz6 before and have gone to the big boy now and it is amazing, I think it has great power all the way through and I hate it when I have to get off !!! :wow:

dittos...I recently got a 2013 and love the way it handles through the twisties (99% of my riding is along the backroads). I'm 6'1" and the bike has more power than I'll ever use. To compare it to my B-King or Road Warrior is not a valid comparison as all three are different enough to stand on their own merits. I've been using the 190 55 17 on the B-King for years and the 190 on the Road Warrior and it has improved BOTH of their handling. But neither one feel as comfortable through the curves as the FZ1....PEACE RIDE SAFE

If I had realised that the FZ1 was like a 600 under 7000rpm and I would have to chuck 2k at it to make it go, then I wouldnt have bought it.

Now Ive poured tons of cash at it, Im 95% happy.

Once the front end suspension is set right, I'll be 100% happy with it.

Pull out $30 and go to a shop and have them set up your suspension. Then you'll have $1970 left to throw in new fork springs, rear shock, slip on and PCV. Ohhh and since you got the bike for around 10k brand new (or if you're smart and get a 2 or 3 year old bike for $6k that some guy bought and didn't ride, with like 2-4k miles on it) and throw 2k at it, then you are getting close to a Tuono or like bike that is around $14k.

2k!!! What have you done, gold plated it?? :eek:

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk

Fork Springs and Install $340
Rear Shock and Install $1000
Slip on $400
Power Commander V and Install with Dyno $600

Aaah, now it makes sense. $$$ not £££ !!! That's a bit more like it.

If your only 95% happy, go for the ivans reflash, that'll take you well over the 100% satisfaction!

And as I found out, suspension is a matter of trial and error. It's taken me 11 months and 6500 miles to get mine right. She rides like a flat bar R1 now, and that's on stock components. Keep trying bud, you'll get the bike you want in the end!

My suspensions quite new, and I think I've dialled it in as good as can be done, but my mods are as follows:-
2nd hand Mivv can + link pipe,
bmc filter,
trimmed flies,
tb juicebox pro,
downloaded custom map.
Total of £300!!! (it helps when your a complete tight arse like me, you'll save a fortune!)

My suspensions quite new, and I think I've dialled it in as good as can be done, but my mods are as follows:-
2nd hand Mivv can + link pipe,
bmc filter,
trimmed flies,
tb juicebox pro,
downloaded custom map.
Total of £300!!! (it helps when your a complete tight arse like me, you'll save a fortune!)

Find some exhaust headers and it'll make a big difference...

I would buy another used one again.The R1 shock and Eddys seat mod fixed the major downfalls for me for under $350.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Must be me but I like the performance from the stock set up. I played some with the compression and rebound settings on the forks and have the front end just where I'm pleased with it. The rear shock may need to be replaced but we'll see.

All the mods I've added were for either comfort or convenience: SpeedoDRD, PIAA horn, frame slides, tank pad, GIVI touring windscreen and FX wellnuts, GIVI V35 side cases and rack, Throttlemeister locks and some polish. It is about as nice as I can make it. Good commuter and fun to ride in the twisties (although there are not many in Illinois).

Next year I plan to get a 190/55 PR3 for the rear as I have nearly 6K on my 2012 since April 2013.

Mattsplat, how much of your bill was neccessary? Did you really need to buy a Nitron shock? No, but you wanted to, And you could have installed a 15 CS and gotten all the performance that you want/need.

And honestly, I dont think that you really did your homework. I remember when you insisted on buying a FCE and many on this board tried to convince you to get the reflash instead.

We all have a different idea of what we want it to be. Stock exhaust? Slip on? Full system? There are many options, some more value based than others.

No bike is perfect and they are all just a starting point for us to make them what we as indiviuals want them to be. This is an emotional sport.

Yes, I did my homework and the FCE was bought because I didnt like the choppy throttle.

After clocking up some more milage, I realised I couldnt live with the lack of low end power and then knew the ecu remap was what I was after. Irrelivant of the advice I recieved over the net, I needed to ride to find out...

For me motorcycling is more about cornering than straightlining so did I need the shock, no. Does the shock improve my riding experience over the poor quality OEM shock, yes.

And any serious rider will tell you, suspension mods before power mods.

I ride corners too. So I did my homework, read the posts, spent my money wisely. An R1 shock and adapter has served me well. And is very cost effective. In fact, it will be cheaper to replace it with a slightly used EBAY unit than to send it out to have the oil changed.

With the right map and riding in the sweet spot, my throttle was fine. But the fact is that there was not a single user that didnt tell you NOT to get the FCE, get the reflash. No one said that they wished that they had just kept the FCE. Yet you added to your bill by buying something that wasnt the right way to go. A poor choice by every account.

Irrelivant of the advice I recieved over the net, I needed to ride to find out...

Most people come to a forum like this specifically for the advice. So, the advice was there, you choose to ignore it. Thats fine. Its your choice to spend your money as you see fit. But dont start ragging on the bike because it fell short of your expectations. You should have looked at the forum for its short comings BEFORE you bought it, right? I know I did.

I've dialed the 'stock' system in as best as I can, and have only changed to the same 190 55 17 I use on my B-King. My FZ1 seems more than able to hang with the folks I ride with on the weekends...to push it any faster on the public roads is a risk to others as well as myself. I set the bike up as if I were taking one of Reg Pridmore's track day classes at Laguna Seca (when I can I will take one of his classes when he's giving them at Laguna Seca in Monterey AND I'm always learning something new...his instructors have reeeleee been helpful)...FOOD FOR THOUGHT If you're able to take a Reg Pridmore class near you, you might want to spend your money on it rather than another 'special' part for your bike...It'll make you a safer as well as faster rider....

Oh shucks. I made you all butt hurt.

Well, in keeping with the spirit of kindness that I find so attractive on this forum, let me take this moment to offer you a sincere apology if I insulted you. I was only trying to have a frank conversation. Remember, this is the internet where things dont always come across as we intend. Had you and I been sitting at the bar, this same conversation would have been with a smile and a handshake.

Cheers. :icon_beer:

There are some consistent changes I've seen for all brands of motorcycles that I've been researching. For perspective I come at things from a 6'4", 240lb male point of view.

You know the thing about the suspension is that unless you're about 5'6-5'10 and 145-165 pounds no matter what bike you purchase (exclusion is maybe a HD but honestly who cares about those) it will be under-sprung.

As for the exhaust system it seems again, it doesn't matter what bike you purchase (exclusion may be high end Italian birds) the stock exhaust systems are a little heavier and a little quieter than what people like, so those get replaced with slip-ons or a complete system.

Fueling - it seems like Yamaha in general gets the short end of the stick for having a twitchy throttle response and 'weak' low end. Yamaha screams in the top end. I was watching MotoGP last weekend and they were saying that Yamaha in fact has a better set up for cornering in the mid range and coming out of the corners but the Honda's have a better high end for the straights with a few more hp. So in my perspective no single motorcycle gives you everything like amazing low to mid range torque to get you going and top end hp to keep you flying. If anybody out there could find the perfect balance between torque and horsepower then I'm sure you could make millions in MotoGP. In response to this perceived inadequacy many people will purchase a Power Commander, I believe in part to help them believe they have some control in the issue and in part because of the improved performance.

Anyway, this is just what I've noticed over my last year on the forums and learning about motorcycles.

Back