Who has a clutch review for me? Mine needs replacing

Stick to OEM on clutches is what i always do, because i know it's reliable, and with the aftermarkets they're too inconsistent to make me justify saving the money since they are usually cheaper.

I just replaced my clutch this spring. I bought an OEM clutch and then bought EBC springs that are 10-15% stronger. The OEM clutches are available on Amazon for about $125 and the springs are about $10 anywhere. The lever pull is a bit tighter at first but it breaks in after a few hundred miles. I moved my lever clamp away from the bar by a half inch or so to give me some more leverage. The kit on Amazon includes everything you will need, so if you want the tougher springs, you will have an extra fresh set of stock ones sitting around.

What are the benefits of going to an after-market clutch over stock? You've got me curious now.

Well, if you are putting out the same power, none aside from costs savings. stiffer springs will give a harsher engagement as the clamp load will be increased, this will help some people not drag the clutch as much at the final stages of release, it may make other people drag it all day long because they are afraid of it. The clutch material itself... probably nearly identical to stock in most cases.

Thanks for the tip on the Kevlar plates. I use Rotella T6 - so that is good to know.

I went with OEM because I didnt want to worry about what oil I could and couldn't use. Also after all of my looking around, it seemed like the OEM plates were the best when paired with stiffer springs. But of course my goal was a more aggressive clutch to suit all of my 2nd and 3rd gear clutch wheelies.

Back