Votes: 1 1.7%
  • The Speed Limit: I'm a law abiding Citizen

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nothing: I'll go as fast as the bike can go...at least once

Votes: 17 28.8%
  • Panties too tight

Votes: 2 3.4%

• Total voters
I posted this on the FZ6 forum a while back. I was wondering what limits the top speed for the members here, given an open straight road such as highway, Parkway, expressway, etc. For me it is fear of a ticket to about 130-140 or so. Then, due to loosening sphincters, it's fear of soiling.

Last edited:
The only fear I have is not being able to keep up with my buddy on the busa after we exit the 135mph right hand sweeper and he really pours it on in the straight.

I don't do full speed runs on the road any more. It's too risky with cops and all.
You can go to gaol (jail) now in NSW for excessive speeding.
When I was doing trackdays I would regularly see 270 kph down the main straight of Eastern Creek Raceway on my k4 Gixxer750 tracky.
The going fast part in the straights is easy, it's going fast in the corners that's harder.

Top speed does not excite me. Corners do. Really slow corners that I have to put my feet down and walk the bike through. My favorite is right next to the handicap parking spot directly in front of the front door of my local Wal-mart.

Same here, hate the wind turbulence in the high speed straights. I usually catch up with my group in the corners always. They have much more balls than me to go 160+ and even involuntarily wheelie at those speeds.

It's boring and pointless.

Edit: Also, your bike is towed and impounded for a week here if you're over the limit by 40km/h

Last edited:
See that is where I have my personal fun. I love me the corners. Top speed to me is boring, and I don't have the balls. So between the two, I just ride it like I stole it through the twisties.

I wish I had some corners :( I don't hit triple digits on a regular basis, but I would run between 80 and 130, if I didn't have to worry about jail. Wind above 130 gets nasty. I will still find a place and time to bury the speedo at least once. Gotta see what she'll do. :sinister::spank2: My current top is around 160 indicated, so now I just have to try it with a GPS to get true ground speed. I'd love to know how far off the stock speedo is (I've heard about 10% lower than indicated, but I'd like to see for myself on my own bike.)

Honestly though, if I just wanted to do cornering, a 250 Ninja would be fun for that. I guess it's not so much the top speed as how quickly I get there in combination with twisties.

My current top is around 160 indicated, so now I just have to try it with a GPS to get true ground speed. I'd love to know how far off the stock speedo is (I've heard about 10% lower than indicated, but I'd like to see for myself on my own bike.).

Come down to Texas and run this. There are several of us that are going to do it this year!!! :woot: :woot:

TEXAS MILE // OFFICIAL SITE // 3 DAYS, 1 MILE: NO SPEED LIMIT

TheTexasMile.jpg

I would LOVE to air out my FZ1 for one mile - legally.

The lack of road is the thing that stopped me topping out the FZ1 a few times.

I tried to get it flat out over the mountain at the Isle Of Man TT last year but was held up by either other riders or more often than not, running out of road.

Hopefully when I'm back on the Island later this year I'll give it another try :tup:

There's something very enjoyable about being able to ride your bike flat stick on a public road with the Police standing watching and not bothering you about it :jaw drop:

I guess I'm lucky I live out in the boon docks. Lots of quiet, out of the way, non- populated, flat, long roads to open up on. Not something I do ALL the time, but sometimes ya just gotta twist the throttle. :)

Several things. First and foremost is the yellow stripe down my back. This is a factor of many different potential equations, including but not limited to: the popo, fear of the pavement condition, stray animals, stupid drivers, and any other surprises that may come my way! I have hit 135 gps a couple of times, and while I enjoy a good spirited adrenaline shot once in a while, I have a lot of respect for the unexpected.

Been there done that

There certainly was a time that testing the machine's top speed limit held some fascination, tucked in wide open, just because. Too many bad things can happen doing that on public roads and I am getting old I guess. I take much greater pleasure in going through a set of tight corners (much faster than the posted speed for the corner) than wide open on the straights. I still have a local drag strip for that, at least there, the ambulance is ready and waiting should I screw up.

Damn, it's no fun getting all old and mature!:teeter:

I have topped out all the bikes I have owned before the FZ1, but now that I'm older top speed just doesn't have the same allure it once did. I guess now I really think about all the bad things that can happen...lol. However, I have hit triple digits plenty of times on both of my current bikes ;)

Back