What did you do to your Non-FZ1 motorcycle today.

Good point; very similar to OBD I cars of old. I remember counting flashing LEDs for my old cars that had gone wrong. :)

It would be cool if you could plug a Bluetooth OBD II dongle like you can on any OBD II car

Any updates Brad?

Finally sorted out. I had several issues all affecting each other which is why I was having issues diagnosing myself.

1.) Spark plugs were black with gunk - replaced
2.) Stepper motor shaft for electronic idle is not lubed from the factory. Over time with dust it starts having trouble articulating. Cleaned and lubed
3.) One of my throttle bodies was 5 degrees out of sync. have no idea how that happens. All three cylinders synced and now running like a top

All at just over 8K miles.

Installed some iRC lowering links on my wife's CBR 250r. Should make her feel much more comfortable when we continue her training in the next few weeks. It is finally cooling off enough for her.

Link New.jpg

New compared to OEM so that you can see the crafting difference.
Link Compare.jpg

Also installed an adjustable kick stand from T-rex

Last edited:
While I was in Germany I took the opportunity to find a used MRA Vario Touring windscreen for my VFR. MRA is a German company and not that popular here but I was fortunate to find a used one on eBay.de for more than half the cost of a new one here. It's installed now and I have ridden it around the block but no opinions on it yet

It's 55mm taller and has an adjustable spoiler with 7 settings. I hope to push the airflow up above my neck where it makes a bit more noise than I'd like. This will also be nice for winter to keep the cold air off me during my commutes

A photo (not mine)
9854257_orig.jpg

Last edited:
So after receiving the replacement tank I realized the previous fitment problem was my own. I had read everywhere that the tank fits just fine with radiator guards installed. This go around I realized the tank was butting up against the left hand radiator guard. So I had to cut the guard and grind it down smooth to get rid of any sharp edges for the tank to fit properly.

Everything fit perfect after that.....

Continental TKC80

Looking at my Heidenau tires, they are becoming weary of all the concrete, macadam and other paved roads, with several offroad sections, dirfting and rearwheel locking. So I went looking for some allroad nobbies replacements and opted to try the Contintal TKC8O Twinduro tires (90/90/21 and 150/70/17) for a little over 180€.

Also bought myself recent a tirechanger aid from Datona, so I'll be changing my own tires....cheaper than buying another set of rims :D

Next large allroad ride planned next Saturday :D:D:D

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    3.2 KB · Views: 166
  • universele-banden-demontage-apparaat-met-ring.jpg
    universele-banden-demontage-apparaat-met-ring.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 74
Went for a 3 day 480 mile DS ride known as the East Texas 450. Everything started out great. The areas where you were normally plagued by deep sand were packed down from recent rain. The red clay made it hard to see where ruts for but simply made things a bit more exciting. I ended up bailing with many others on day 2 due to torrential rains. It was nasty. I still ended up with a good 452 miles in nenjoying some fantastic roads on my way home once the sun revealed itself.

These first few photos were from the 1st hour or two on day one.

I was leading when we hit this area of slick snotty mud. It looks dry in the photo but even walking it was like walking on ice. After dropping the Tiger 8 times (the first one in spectacular fashion), I just could not pick it up again. I was ready to call a tow truck when two of the others showed up and selflessly helped me out. I bought their lunch. It took an hour and 45 minutes to get my bike 100 yards.

This is after the mud pit and a little time on pavement. We stopped at a car wash to get some of the mud off. I wish I would have taken a photo of the front fender. My front fender was so socked full of mud it would not even roll on that muddy road. Took 15 minutes even with a pressure washer to get the gunk out from under the fender.

My poor new Ohlins cannot even be see!

After a wash when I got home I could see my onlyreal damage from my adventures...

Ugh. Your ride sounds like that brutal one I had. It's the worst when you try to pick it up and it doesn't budge or worse, your feet slip out from under you. It's exhausting.

Glad you made it home!

Also my experience on such muddy stretches is the Enduro type tires (such as the Heidenau) are not exactly fit for these type of conditions, you'd need more nobbier tires (cross tires) but then again it is a compromis you need to find...

Question; what type of Ohlins you have there?

Also my experience on such muddy stretches is the Enduro type tires (such as the Heidenau) are not exactly fit for these type of conditions, you'd need more nobbier tires (cross tires) but then again it is a compromis you need to find...

Question; what type of Ohlins you have there?

Knobbier tires would help but not enough! :)

According to my invoice the Ohlins is a TTX36 but I am not sure that is right because I only see a piggyback and inline option for that model number. Has to be the TR120. The following is what I will do to the front at the end of the year.....
Enjoy Adventure with Öhlins cartridge kits - Öhlins

Last edited:
69,000 km on the VFR and I did new brake pads front & rear and a new air filter. Having an issue with my LED aux lights and not sure where to start diagnosing. I might start with the relay since it had a bunch of rust and stuff on it. It had been working sporadically for a few weeks now, sometimes not switching on and sometimes not turning off after I turned off the ignition

I opened up the relay and found a pile of rust and corrosion all over the thing so I'm thinking that's the problem

Last edited:
I opened up the relay and found a pile of rust and corrosion all over the thing so I'm thinking that's the problem

Did a little trouble shooting with what knowledge I had and determined it was indeed the relay. I found a replacement at Canadian Tire and voila, fixed! That's a nice feeling for me as electrical issues are always a source of anxiety

I'm glad to have my aux lights back, they make a hell of a difference

Back