What did you do to your FZ today?

I had to "peel" a part off that left rear blinker to save for rebuild but it was a GREAT day. The wife and I stopped in Amesbury for the afternoon and had a great afternoon with shopping and a stop at a local coffee shop for truffles and espresso!

I'm about to post a new thread... Wanted items...

Latest FZ1 update

Four days ago I cleaned, waxed, and even completely detailed the chain and rear sprocket on the little lady. Yesterday, I joined the family for a Fourth of July cookout at my nephews' house and they live on a three mile long stretch of dusty gravel road. Yep. The chain and sprockets were smothered in a thick layer of fresh dust..... stuck to the chain lube/wax. In fact, the dust was everywhere on her when I got home. Spent today cleaning the chain and sprocket again, applied some fresh chain-wax of course, and, oh yeah , , , cleaned the rest of the fZ too. . . . .Aaahhhhh Now, she looks all pretty again !!

Gave it a wash and did my first ever chain clean/lube. It appears that the previous owner had never cleaned the Chain Guard. There was a solid 1/4" of crap built up on the underside of it.

I found it tough to get the chain warm to put the lube on though. Since I live on a gravel road I didn't really want to take it for much of a ride to warm up. Anybody else have this situation? If so, how do you deal with it?

Went for a short ride and got my state inspection done while out. There is something new they do in Texas now. They make you do a stop test. You have to do 10+ mph, start braking as your front tire crosses a line and be completely stopped before the second line. Kind of like the emergency braking test in BRC. Easy enough but I never had to do that before. :)

Definitely no emissions testing at all for motorcycles in Texas. No noise test either. Nor is there any checking for removal of emissions limiting OEM hardware. I am not recommending you remove stuff. Just an FYI to save you a bit of stress if you have done so.

Last edited:
Well that's interesting, they don't do that for cars, but a bike has to do a stop test? I knew, an am glad about the emissions stuff, I've done a lot of mods. :)
I took her out for a 50 mile ride this morning, putz around town type of thing, and I don't know if it's was one thing, or the combo of sub plate modify, crank case breather, iridium plugs or mobile 1 synthetic and K&N oil filter swap, but it ran and responded AWESOME. It kicked ass. :) I LOVE my FZ1! :)

My dad lives in Houston, I go quite a bit, I'll give ya a heads up before I go
next time, and see what your doin! :)

Sounds good to me! :tup: So what do you consider North Texas anyway? Dalas, Abilene, Lubock, Amarillo? :)

I drive to Dallas every few weeks but usually in my truck as I do not want to destroy my tires on a straight boring road. lol

Last edited:
I really need to think about removing the AIS if reaching the spark plugs will be easier. Is there another reason one removes the AIS?

Eliminates some of the popping (particularly noticeable with aftermarket exhaust) on deceleration, plus it cleans up that area and will make future plug changes easier.

Back