Vista givng you problems??

BroHay

Stihl Loves Trees
Ok, after I told the update gods from Microsoft that I wanted to choose the time for them to come and grace my computer with more goodies, it undertakes the SP2 update and about 13 others on its own behalf.

Since the completion of this update, my hard disk has been running non-stop and is always freezing programs to be unresponsive or just plain locking up with no signs of life whatsoever.

Anyone else experiencing weird phenomena?

FZ1NH -- based on your suggestion for malwarebytes.org, can you manually go to the file and delete the files found or do you have to preform some sort of voodoo incantation to get the ghost of Bill to leave??

BroHay

Adam, I believe that you can go to add/remove programs in your control panel and down on the bottom you'll see Microsoft SP2. Try and unistall it from there. If sucessful, the machine should then try and update again upon start-up. You should then be able to itemize the download and pick and choose what you would like installed. I'd assume if SP2 wasn't able to be uninstalled, it wouldn't be listed in your program manager with the option to remove. Check it out.

I'm gonna try a variation on a theme....backup up important files right now and then going to rollback the system to the last known "stable" platform I had.

It has just been a slow process but I think that i'm on the road to recovery.

On a different note, it only seems to happen with Outlook now. I've let all the other possibilities run there course and it only hangs up now with Outlook. If successful I'll report, if not, well then off for option "b"

and I'm open for creative ways to deploy that option...

Thanks!
Adam

Well, I knew that the SP2 was out there, but when I went to do the updates, it gave me 16 to download, so I thought that it was the Service Pack b/c if the size of all the updates. After it had done that install, from 6/15, it then brought up the SP2 update, 5/26. So maybe you are onto something there with a conflict with why I'm experiencing what I am.

Currently rolling back to my last known "stable" configuration, before updates. Hopefully I'll be able to pick up the ground running where I left off and try to catch up from the week's worth of unproductivity.

Adam

Well, I knew that the SP2 was out there, but when I went to do the updates, it gave me 16 to download, so I thought that it was the Service Pack b/c if the size of all the updates. After it had done that install, from 6/15, it then brought up the SP2 update, 5/26. So maybe you are onto something there with a conflict with why I'm experiencing what I am.

Currently rolling back to my last known \"stable\" configuration, before updates. Hopefully I'll be able to pick up the ground running where I left off and try to catch up from the week's worth of unproductivity.

Adam

doing the SP2 upgrade now on my Vista system. I'll let you know if any problems

After rolling back to an earlier version, I looked at the list of updates. There is one for "microsoft improved seach" and it is labeled as important.

Based off the recommendations from other members, that might have been part of the problem. That and the fact that there were two failure on major components.

More to report, or report of you experience similar scenario.

Adam

Adam, the MS Search is one that I highly recommended you remove from the system. It is a resource hog that will constantly index your data when it sees the hard drive idle for more than 20 seconds, then when you want to use your drive, it takes minutes to release the resources because it has to "finish its task" which is the disk thrashing you are seeing. FWIW, Google Desktop does the very same thing and for those reasons, I remove them when I see them on any PC.

I would try SP2 on mine but I am running x64 bit which doesn't have an SP2 release yet. My home PC is running x64 Vista Ultimate so I cannot test there either. I will say that the x64 version on an AMD processor is rather impressive and I hate MS and Vista.

My laptop that I use 90% of the time at home is running PCLinuxOS 2009 and just never has a single issue. It hasn't been shut down or rebooted in months. :D

RE: Outlook, these folks are on the right path. Be sure to do your Office Updates as well and brink Outlook to the latest patches and fixes.

RE: Malwarebytes - shouldn't have asked you for anything, just install and run it.... did you get this one? Malwarebytes.org by clicking on the Download Free Version on the left?

I just d/l'd malwarebytes, installed, scanned and removed... there is a purchase button at the bottom but ignore than and run through the program.

tis a shame when I can get my virtual copy of XP to perform better with limited resources than Vista,

Got Adobe off, because it stalls and does not open, and getting ready to remove Office 2007. Use the cleanup program I have and remove most traces from the registry. Then try for a new install.

If that don't work, then I'm SOL and should of just started rebuilding from the get....too many programs and too many serial numbers to make sure I have in place....

Adam

Did you try rolling back until it got stable?

You're right, at this point, it would have taken less time to just format it and start fresh. Too bad you weren't close enough for a Dr. visit for it. I'd be happy to delve into it. Tough to diagnose long distance though.

I get to the bottom of one goose chase and something else happens....

Now adobe is acting squirrelish and I've tried to install some 3rd part apps that worked at one point in Outlook and now have ceased.

Except for those two issues (for the momment) I'm back up to normal performance speeds just can't seem to open large .pdf files from outlook or from saved location.....any ideas??

Adam

Is this the latest version of the Reader?

Can you uninstall it then run your cleaner tool to clear the residuals? Then reboot, download the latest and install once again.

Almost sounds like the Vista security is confused about it.

I have a stupid question for you Adam. You state that the 3rd party apps wouldn't work in Outlook. I have never even opened up Outlook. I know that it has a calendar and e-mail but I thought that was all it was for. What do you mean when you say it wouldn't work in Outlook? :confused0024:

I think he means Outlook plugins, like Xobni or similar?

Adam, are the PDF's opening in Adobe Reader or are the opening in the web brwoser with the plugin? If browser, can you open Adobe Reader then use File-->Open to browse to the PDF file and open it?

Is this the latest version of the Reader?

Can you uninstall it then run your cleaner tool to clear the residuals? Then reboot, download the latest and install once again.

Almost sounds like the Vista security is confused about it.

Adobe Pro -- and have done just that....in the process of loading right now....

Instead of going the outlook route -- see if the service pack maybe takes care of it???

Adam

Adobe Pro -- and have done just that....in the process of loading right now....

Instead of going the outlook route -- see if the service pack maybe takes care of it???

Adam

Yes. So the SP for Vista and for Office/Outlook... or were you considering one and not the other?

I have a stupid question for you Adam. You state that the 3rd party apps wouldn't work in Outlook. I have never even opened up Outlook. I know that it has a calendar and e-mail but I thought that was all it was for. What do you mean when you say it wouldn't work in Outlook? :confused0024:

I do alot of large file attachments (architectural drawings and such) and there is a "free" (limited file size transfer and so much space per month) called "You Send It". It has the ability to send from outlook with there plug-in, but it quit working. I just go use the website when I have to send files, but sometimes it is nice to have the ability to do within outlook.

Back