Very strange problem with my Gen II (Updated with pics and info)

FZ1inTX

Adminstrator
Over the last week, I am experiencing a very strange issue with the bike. When cruising in any gear and at any speed with the RPMs in a steady state between 3k and 6k... the bike feels like it is hesitating/lurching/catching. It is slight but definitely noticeable. When it is doing this, the tach never fluctuates at all. The RPMs indicated remain very steady.

I have new NGK CR9EIX Iridium plugs on the way (12,500+ miles now) and when I put these in, I intend to remove the AIS system and install block-off plates then sync the throttle bodies with the Morgan Carbtune II. Also, I will be changing the oil and filter, flushing the cooling system and putting Engine Ice in. Last, replacing the air filter.

I have warmed the bike to 200 degrees and sprayed water on the headers with a spray bottle. All four pipes evaporate the water at the same rate.

Any ideas on what this might be? Paranoid delusion? Transmission problem/clutch slipping? Is the hesitation really in the engine and happens so quick that the tach cannot register the fluctuations? TPS going bad?

If I open her up with a ham-fist, it seems to go absolutely full speed without hesitation. If I an decelerating, there's no indication of a problem. This is only at steady speed/RPMs.

Brakes are not pulsing and the wheels spin freely in stands....

One other thought... I need to research. Can a SpeedoDRD cause this if it is malfunctioning? I can unplug and bypass that easily and test though.

So what I am not thinking of and what can I test? All the other items happening soon will rule out a lot of things and I HOPE that one of these is the issue and this resolves it. Thanks all!

Last edited:
I think what you are going to do will solve the problem unless you did something new last week to the bike.

The only work done over the last couple weeks was changing the tires and this past Saturday, putting the stock 17T front sprocket on then re-calibrating the SpeedoDRD but it was doing this prior to futzing with the speedo healer. Thus, no work that involved intake or exhaust or lifting the tank for any reason.

Another thing I plan on doing is replacing the stock fuel line with FI rated rubber radial hose but I don't think this is a kinked fuel line issue.

Maybe it's the Shinko Raven's? Should have bought more expensive tires? :hook2: :justkidding: Actually, the Shinko's are GREAT thus far!

The only work done over the last couple weeks was changing the tires and this past Saturday, putting the stock 17T front sprocket on then re-calibrating the SpeedoDRD but it was doing this prior to futzing with the speedo healer. Thus, no work that involved intake or exhaust or lifting the tank for any reason.

Another thing I plan on doing is replacing the stock fuel line with FI rated rubber radial hose but I don't think this is a kinked fuel line issue.

Maybe it's the Shinko Raven's? Should have bought more expensive tires? :hook2: :justkidding: Actually, the Shinko's are GREAT thus far!
CHANGING THE TIRE --- THAT'S IT --- You kinked the stem.

Has it done it every tank full? Ran some Seafoam? How many miles is it? Fuel filter? The DRD is just a metering device, I wouldn't think it could have an effect on actual operation.
Where does one get the fuel line your talking about, I may do that while I have the tank off when I get my parts ordered...

Thank Missy. Yes, it has been the last 4 tanks and from different places. No sea Foam yet. A tank of fuel lasts me less than a week and often a second tank per week on the weekends. I just rolled 12,500 miles on her. I don't think it is the fuel filter because if that was gunked, I'd have a problem with fuel delivery at WOT. The sprocket is tight... put back on with the air impact driver and the washer folded over properly.

The fuel line is about 18" of any automotive fuel line that is rated for "Fuel Injection" from your favorite store. Some use the 5/16" ID hose but it fits a bit loose and needs to be clamped a little tighter. Others say to get the 1/4" ID hose and use a bit of grease to put a film on the ID before trying to press-fit it onto the fittings. Use clamps rated for FI fuel lines that will not cinch/pinch/cut into the line. There's a LONG thread on this over at the other site. This has been dubbed the "Blind Spot's Unthinkable Fuel Line Mod"

Hope this helps!!

As for my issue, I'm hoping the plugs and TB sync will end this issue. ;) Otherwise, the hunt is on.

I have had some surging, stuttering and shut off problems for the last month or so and all was fixed due to some problem with Ignition module and/or it's connectors and PC3 connectors. So I always will recommend troubleshooting the stuff that has been added to the bike first. The stock components like TPS are much sturdier than the aftermarket crap we put on our bikes. Reclean all the relevant connectors with contact cleaner and repack them with dielectric grease. Fixed the issues for me so far.

Also without a PC3 or the right map, the bike will show such symptoms which look like lean surging.

I have had some surging, stuttering and shut off problems for the last month or so and all was fixed due to some problem with Ignition module and/or it's connectors and PC3 connectors. So I always will recommend troubleshooting the stuff that has been added to the bike first. The stock components like TPS are much sturdier than the aftermarket crap we put on our bikes. Reclean all the relevant connectors with contact cleaner and repack them with dielectric grease. Fixed the issues for me so far.

Also without a PC3 or the right map, the bike will show such symptoms which look like lean surging.

Outside of the SpeedoDRD, nothing else is plugged in. I don't have any Power Commander. I've got the LARS AB mod, modded flies to 38mm diameter, Two Bros slip-on and still have the O2 and CAT installed. I could try to disconnect the battery overnight to reset the ECU and have it learn on the next day to remap the fuel. I would always do this anyway prior to syncing the TBs regardless.

Thanks to all of you for input! Everything you offer helps with either something to check/test or something I can eliminate as a probable cause. By the end of the week, I hope I can tell you it is fixed and just what caused it. Maybe I'll start with the ECU reset tomorrow night and see how it behaves Wednesday. Tomorrow isn't a riding day... I have to bring the truck to work. :(

Still Check/Grease all stock connectors especially the grey connectors that are used by the PC3, IM even if you don't have one and also the crank position sensor as well as the speedoDRD connectors.

FI bikes tend to show lean surging in hot temperatures if not mapped right

I'll grab some D grease with the FI hose Akshay and since I have to lift the tank, spray out the connectors with an electrical cleaner, grease them and re-connect all of it. Here in NH, the bike does see a rather diverse weather change almost daily!

I don't know if it is good or bad that there's no error codes... because the bike thinks it is ok, or if there was a code, I'd have a more pointed place to start. ;)

Over the last week, I am experiencing a very strange issue with the bike. When cruising in any gear and at any speed with the RPMs in a steady state between 3k and 6k... the bike feels like it is hesitating/lurching/catching. It is slight but definitely noticeable. When it is doing this, the tach never fluctuates at all. The RPMs indicated remain very steady.

I have new NGK CR9EIX Iridium plugs on the way (12,500+ miles now) and when I put these in, I intend to remove the AIS system and install block-off plates then sync the throttle bodies with the Morgan Carbtune II. Also, I will be changing the oil and filter, flushing the cooling system and putting Engine Ice in. Last, replacing the air filter.

I have warmed the bike to 200 degrees and sprayed water on the headers with a spray bottle. All four pipes evaporate the water at the same rate.

Any ideas on what this might be? Paranoid delusion? Transmission problem/clutch slipping? Is the hesitation really in the engine and happens so quick that the tach cannot register the fluctuations? TPS going bad?

If I open her up with a ham-fist, it seems to go absolutely full speed without hesitation. If I an decelerating, there's no indication of a problem. This is only at steady speed/RPMs.

Brakes are not pulsing and the wheels spin freely in stands....

One other thought... I need to research. Can a SpeedoDRD cause this if it is malfunctioning? I can unplug and bypass that easily and test though.

So what I am not thinking of and what can I test? All the other items happening soon will rule out a lot of things and I HOPE that one of these is the issue and this resolves it. Thanks all!

It's very interesting you mention the speedo DRD - here's why I say that.................

just yesterday morning, I installed a 12oclocklabs speedo DRD on my bike. The wife and I took off on a ride to get something for lunch so once we got going I had her ride along side me on her bike ( 09 FZ6R ) so I could compare the speedo readings( although I new I blew the calibration before I got to the main road ).
Well besides the speedo being WAAAAYY off, the bike had a pretty bad bucking/surging mostly between 4000 - 5500 in second gear at a steady throttle. It seemed to be very slight in third gear, MAYBE in fourth but in second it was like I was chopping the throttle on/off /on - really bad, like a bucking bronco.
Well, due to that problem as well as the speedo reading about 25 mph at an actual 60 mph, we went back home to check things out. My first thought was maybe I kinked the fuel line when I had the tank up, but I am very very very careful about everything when I work on my stuff so I didn't think so.
Well,..........what I had done when I calibrated the DRD is enter a value of - 59.9% correction instead of -05.9% which explains the speedo error. Once I fixed the DRD I went for a ride and like a miracle, ALL THE SURGING/BUCKING WAS GONE!!!
The only thing I did to create the bucking was the DRD and the only thing I did correct it was calibrate it right so in my case it was DEFINITELY related the the DRD. We went on about a 100 mile ride and the bike ran just fine.

My only guess in my case is that the speed sensor is telling the ECU the false speed of say 20 mph when the bike is really going 50 mph, which is throwing off the fuel enrichment making it lean, causing the bucking etc.???

I would have never thought the speed sensor would have such a strong influence over the fuel tables etc., but it sure was doing something to cause this. I really cant believe it myself, but that was def. the problem.

What does anyone else think of this - any insight???

Last edited:
Sounds like intake to me. It sounds like it is constantly trying to adjust for mixture and when one is corrected it throws another off. Wash rinse repeat.

I bet it is better after syncing the throttle bodies.

I would have never thought the speed sensor would have such a strong influence over the fuel tables etc., but it sure was doing something to cause this. I really cant believe it myself, but that was def. the problem.

What does anyone else think of this - any insight???

It has crossed my mind regarding the SpeedoDRD but mine is set correctly. I dialed it in to -6.8% with the stock gearing and the dash is nearly spot-on with the GPS. I managed a few sustained runs at 40, 50, 60 and 70 MPH and each time, the GPS indicated those numbers, the bike was displaying 1 MPH less than the GPS.

But, like you, it still could be a factor so I may try running the bike without it connected at all just so I can eliminate it as a possible cause.

What you describe though is just about what I am experiencing but the confusing part is the RPM needle remaining constant and unwavering. :wilynily:

Thanks for the input!! Appreciate it!

Sounds like intake to me. It sounds like it is constantly trying to adjust for mixture and when one is corrected it throws another off. Wash rinse repeat.

I bet it is better after syncing the throttle bodies.

I'm hoping this is the case Brad... with new plugs and a sync, I am hopeful that this is the root cause. I do NOT want to take it to the dealer and pay them so I will find it and fix it. ;)

Thanks to Missy, added Sea Foam to the list of items to pick up before the weekend. :D

You don't think it is a lean surge? I see you have modded flies and a slip on, but no PC3?

I personally don't know it was just the only thing popping into my head.

I doubt its the SpeedoDRD though.

If all that the SpeedoDRD does is calibrate the milage and speed I don't see the connection.

What about trying to remoe the SpeedoDRD all together and see if that makes a difference?

Back