--> Troll alert <--

You have the right attitude. I think you'll be fine. BTW 0-60 is 2.96 I believe, lol.

Always remember it's a lot of bike. I forgot that myself recently and down I went. 100,000 miles on bikes and still learning.

You have the right attitude. I think you'll be fine. BTW 0-60 is 2.96 I believe, lol.

Always remember it's a lot of bike. I forgot that myself recently and down I went. 100,000 miles on bikes and still learning.

My best 60ft. is 1.58,
Norm is your bike fixed from the off?

:welcome: Here's how I got to the FZ1.

I learned in the dirt, owned many 'dual-sport', 'on/off road', 'enduro', what ever you want to call them. They have many names. I started in 3rd grade on a 100cc Yamaha 2 stroke.

From there I moved up to my brother's old 125cc 2 stroke. Much larger frame and a monoshock :tup: I also rode my brother's off road only, but still had a license plate Yamaha IT 175 2 stroke. Very fun bike. I miss 2 strokes (blue smokes)!

I was able to purchase a brand new Yamaha XT350 4 stroke in '86. I thought I had a big bike :) I rode it through high school and college until a bimbo turned in front of me in town. Long story short, it turned into a pretzel and the insurance money turned into an engagement ring.

I didn't own a bike for a very long time, but I was able to ride my brother's 1987 Honda XL Transalp V 600 for a while. Nice, but very underpowered.

I took a few rides on other peoples bikes like my brother's BMW 1200LT, a few older bikes my father-in-law had and my wife's 2009 Ninja 250r. Then I bought a used 2007 FZ1. I guess I didn't really have experience either, but I sort of started on the FZ1 as far as pure street bike goes. I've been doing fine. I scared myself on the test ride. I knew it would have gobs more power than anything I had ever ridden (even the BMW 1200LT). I though the 3-5k range had power. :nerd: I decided I had to know what it could do if I was going to buy it. So I figured WOT in 1st wouldn't be too bad. I hit 6k and was impressed, then 8k made me say a bad word and 10-12k almost threw me off the back of the bike! :jaw drop: I was going over 80, yep, still in 1st. :squid::spank2::drools: I was lucky not to wreck, to be honest. I'm pretty used to the power after 2 years. It's almost sad how used to it I am, but I still get a lot of thrill from the 9-12k range, I just don’t get there too often.

I was considering an FZ6 just to get back into riding, but I'm a fatty at 300lbs, so I didn't think the FZ6 would like me much and I'd 'out grow' it too fast. I've been very happy with my decision and I always respect the bike and the power it makes. Getting new Michelin Pilot Road 3's was one of the best improvements I've done to the bike. I hope to get the suspension worked out this summer.

I think you'll do fine. You seem to have a very mature attitude. Just remember that the temptation to use that power is pretty big sometimes. *insert Uncle Ben quote from Spiderman, not the rice* I have found that the Gen II FZ1 in stock form (with me on it) is not a good wheelie machine. It is 51% front weighted and just doesn't seem to have the low end torque to power wheelie for me. I've never figured out the 'clutch up' wheelie. :stunta]:

Anyway, buy good gear (snell 2010 helmet if you can, and there are many $100-$250 snell helmets out there). I find the more expensive helmets (Shoei and Arai) are expensive for comfort, venting, high quality shields, etc. Very nice, but not a must. If you can afford a more expensive helmet, I’d recommend the Shoei RF1100. I have been super impressed with it. You just have to try some on. Everyone’s head is a little different. Good fit is most important, and it should be snug. Now I’ll stop rambling.

PS What’s with the Troll title?

Ford man myself but still love the Holdens GM (Sacrilege in Oz to like both) Good to see you bought a fine Ozzie product and good luck with the future FZ. Attitude is the key!

PS Yes what is with the Troll bit?

Riding, driving, it's always a learning experience, and making mistakes is where you learn.

:welcome: Here's how I got to the FZ1.

I learned in the dirt, owned many 'dual-sport', 'on/off road', 'enduro', what ever you want to call them. They have many names. I started in 3rd grade on a 100cc Yamaha 2 stroke.

From there I moved up to my brother's old 125cc 2 stroke. Much larger frame and a monoshock :tup: I also rode my brother's off road only, but still had a license plate Yamaha IT 175 2 stroke. Very fun bike. I miss 2 strokes (blue smokes)!

I was able to purchase a brand new Yamaha XT350 4 stroke in '86. I thought I had a big bike :) I rode it through high school and college until a bimbo turned in front of me in town. Long story short, it turned into a pretzel and the insurance money turned into an engagement ring.

I didn't own a bike for a very long time, but I was able to ride my brother's 1987 Honda XL Transalp V 600 for a while. Nice, but very underpowered.

I took a few rides on other peoples bikes like my brother's BMW 1200LT, a few older bikes my father-in-law had and my wife's 2009 Ninja 250r. Then I bought a used 2007 FZ1. I guess I didn't really have experience either, but I sort of started on the FZ1 as far as pure street bike goes. I've been doing fine. I scared myself on the test ride. I knew it would have gobs more power than anything I had ever ridden (even the BMW 1200LT). I though the 3-5k range had power. :nerd: I decided I had to know what it could do if I was going to buy it. So I figured WOT in 1st wouldn't be too bad. I hit 6k and was impressed, then 8k made me say a bad word and 10-12k almost threw me off the back of the bike! :jaw drop: I was going over 80, yep, still in 1st. :squid::spank2::drools: I was lucky not to wreck, to be honest. I'm pretty used to the power after 2 years. It's almost sad how used to it I am, but I still get a lot of thrill from the 9-12k range, I just don’t get there too often.

I was considering an FZ6 just to get back into riding, but I'm a fatty at 300lbs, so I didn't think the FZ6 would like me much and I'd 'out grow' it too fast. I've been very happy with my decision and I always respect the bike and the power it makes. Getting new Michelin Pilot Road 3's was one of the best improvements I've done to the bike. I hope to get the suspension worked out this summer.

I think you'll do fine. You seem to have a very mature attitude. Just remember that the temptation to use that power is pretty big sometimes. *insert Uncle Ben quote from Spiderman, not the rice* I have found that the Gen II FZ1 in stock form (with me on it) is not a good wheelie machine. It is 51% front weighted and just doesn't seem to have the low end torque to power wheelie for me. I've never figured out the 'clutch up' wheelie. :stunta]:

Anyway, buy good gear (snell 2010 helmet if you can, and there are many $100-$250 snell helmets out there). I find the more expensive helmets (Shoei and Arai) are expensive for comfort, venting, high quality shields, etc. Very nice, but not a must. If you can afford a more expensive helmet, I’d recommend the Shoei RF1100. I have been super impressed with it. You just have to try some on. Everyone’s head is a little different. Good fit is most important, and it should be snug. Now I’ll stop rambling.

PS What’s with the Troll title?

I've had a few dirt bike, including a very underpowered 1982 Honda xr100 lmao, thing couldn't even get out of its own way...

Thanks for the advice on the helmets, I plead on getting decent quality riding stuff, I'm not rich, so well see where my budget is when it comes time to open the wallet for riding equipment.

Ford man myself but still love the Holdens GM (Sacrilege in Oz to like both) Good to see you bought a fine Ozzie product and good luck with the future FZ. Attitude is the key!

PS Yes what is with the Troll bit?

I'm a GM guy, but not a mustang hater, always liked the stang but I just couldn't drive one, I'd get too much crap for it haha (always wanted an 03-04 terminator..)

As for the troll title, goty your attention didn't it ? And since the majority of the time I'm on this forum I'll just be reading and not saying much, be trolling Haha.

Last edited:
Learn well and hope you have the license by the time you get out on the road, at least the next time. It is great fun if you do it the right way. Stay safe and good luck!

Thanks for the advice on the helmets, I plead on getting decent quality riding stuff, I'm not rich, so well see where my budget is when it comes time to open the wallet for riding equipment.

If you have a limited budget to get into this motorcycling adventure, the smart thing to do would be to prioritise gear & training before the bike itself.

You're better off getting trained up & geared up properly from the start rather than going for a fast bike & using what's left for the most important stuff

not all young people are idiots, just alot of them
Now that is a quotable line right there!

Where I live we are restricted to a low power to weight ratio bike while on our learners permit and for the first year of our bike license.

To get your learners permit you must pass a two day training course with a practical test at the end, then you have to go back and pass another half day riding course to get off your learners and onto your bike licence. one year from the date you gain your bike license you can apply to have the restriction removed and buy a more powerful bike.

There is a learner approved motorcycle (LAMs) list that the government puts out that you must choose your first bike from. After that it is open slather.

I started on a Honda CT110 which was a second hand postie bike, then stepped up from there.

What bugs me is that you only need a car license to ride a scooter up to 50cc & those riders have no idea of the dangers they put themselves and other road users in. They are thankfully looking at changing that law here soon.

Good luck with the FZ1, if you respect it and take it easy, you will love it, but it is a hell of a lot of bike.

Wow, that is actually pretty awesome. I think the Insurance companies and the Car companies have too much power in the US and keep the DMV from making stricter rules for getting any license, bike or car.

Learn well and hope you have the license by the time you get out on the road, at least the next time. It is great fun if you do it the right way. Stay safe and good luck!

Thanks man and that's the plan :)

If you have a limited budget to get into this motorcycling adventure, the smart thing to do would be to prioritise gear & training before the bike itself.

You're better off getting trained up & geared up properly from the start rather than going for a fast bike & using what's left for the most important stuff

I'll take the safety course before I get my license and the gear shouldn't be ridiculously expensive, I'm not broke, I just like to budget and don't like to buy things unless I can get two of them.

Any bike that can power wheelie while exiting corners is the WRONG 1st Bike, IMO.

Agreed, but I'm up for it, and don't plan on doing hard corners and powering out of them until I feel that I am ready.

Your head is definitely screwed right and I like the attitude.

Keep checking out Motorcycle Gear, Motorcycle Superstore and Motorcycle Closeout website deal sections. You can easily buy decent gear within $500 - Armored Helmet, Jacket, Gloves, Pants and Boots.

Your head is definitely screwed right and I like the attitude.

Keep checking out Motorcycle Gear, Motorcycle Superstore and Motorcycle Closeout website deal sections. You can easily buy decent gear within $500 - Armored Helmet, Jacket, Gloves, Pants and Boots.

It doesn't need to be anything fancy, I'm not out to look good with riding gear, the bike is good looking enough :D

Thanks for the buying tips, I'll keep a lookout :tup:

Back