Traded in my Gen II, and got SCREWED.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JMundy

Well some or most of you will know that I've been looking at getting a new bike, a R1. Well Saturday I did it. Found a dealership about 4.5 hrs away (each way) and they had a 2012 Yamaha R1 with ZERO miles for $10,500. :jaw drop:

What a steal. Its in northern Idaho and they said they just dont sell any sport bikes, mostly sleds and quads. So I took my FZ1 up there and they gave me $5000 on trade in :Rockon: PERFECT. Looking over the bike it was really dusty and I could see a few light scratches, nothing major. Im a nut for maintenance and perfection but at the discount I was getting I could look past it. So I get it home and immediately start to detail it because im crazy like that. I start seeing more light scratches and then a mark on the left pass foot peg.

Not good, but still I got it for dirt cheap I can look past it. Also see an arrow on the frame written in sharpie, and the fairing is a little loose, not tight and buttoned up like the right side.

I figure it was a reminder for the mechanic to adjust and tighten it up. Also on left side by headlights there is a small rub mark as well, right on the edge. (Hard to see in the pic)

So im a tad pissed but still, got a smoking deal. Here it is all polished up and cleaned.

Oh don't think it ends here, there is more!!!! :tdown:

So all that was from Saturday when I got home, on sunday I decided to button up the left side fairing and get it nice and tight. I get the fairing off and guess what I see.

Yeah, that's the support for the fairings and a nice little CRACK in the frame!! WTF!! Yep so I lost it at this point. The damn dealership I purchased from is closed on sunday and Mondays. Im currently working with Yamaha to see if there is anything they will do so I do not have to deal with the dealership. Im hoping I can take it to my preferred dealer locally and have them do the work, and when they turn it in have Yamaha bill the place I purchased from.

So there is my story so far. I cannot believe they would try to pull something like that. Im sure I will be blamed for dropping it by someone, but to do that kind of damage the left fairing would be trashed, and it looks PERFECT, I even took pics of it off to prove it. Im hoping Yamaha makes it right, I really don't want to drive that far again to return it and get my FZ1 back, as who knows that they will do to it.

Last edited:
That weld in the last couple pictures would scare me... there are a lot of air pockets / voids in that weld.

Ya never noticed it until you pointed it out. Well im getting a new frame or returning it so either way it will be ok.

Hope it works out, that's a gorgeous bike.

Thanks, wish I could ride it. Still at ZERO miles, and this morning I so would have ridden to work as it was only 45* when its been 15* past few weeks.

Wow. Since you bought it from a dealership, can you take it back within a couple of days? This just sounds like a disaster in the making. Despite the "great deal" that you got, this seems like it will be more headache than it's worth.

How does a zero-mile bike get so messed up? The whole thing seems shady enough to walk away.

Wow. Since you bought it from a dealership, can you take it back within a couple of days? This just sounds like a disaster in the making. Despite the "great deal" that you got, this seems like it will be more headache than it's worth.

How does a zero-mile bike get so messed up? The whole thing seems shady enough to walk away.

I agree and that's almost where I am at. My goal is to have my local dealership inspect and go over the whole thing, fix any issues and have the dealership I purchased at get the bill. I definitely think I should be able to return, and if it gets to that Ill have to take Wed off work and drive back there and return it.

When you purchase from dealership don't you get a factory warranty that starts from date of original purchase?

Yes it has a 1 year factory warranty, just not sure if warranty will cover as its clearly from being dropped, even though not a mark on fairing. I suspect the dealership replaced the fairing and tried to pass it off. The fairing looks perfect, so I know it either wasn't on when dropped and it proves it wasn't damaged by me. If fairing was damaged id be pretty screwed.

Dispickable that it was sold to you as a new bike. Sincerely hope Yamaha takes care of you (would suck to have to drive another 9 hours)

I am sure you are PISSED!!

Do not ride the bike until this is resolved.

However the key thing here is to remain calm but firm. Ranting may feel good but won't help your cause.

I really doubt your local dealer can or will do anything and it would be unrealistic to ask them to do so as they did not sell you the bike.

First contact mother Yamaha in Cypress, Ca to discuss your options before talking to the dealer who sold you the bike. Contact Us

Keep us posted!

I am sure you are PISSED!!

Do not ride the bike until this is resolved.

Agreed 100% . still at ZERO miles

However the key thing here is to remain calm but firm. Ranting may feel good but won't help your cause.

Again Agreed 100%. I know they "could" see this post on the forum so I kept it civil as I do not know where the ball was dropped

I really doubt your local dealer can or will do anything and it would be unrealistic to ask them to do so as they did not sell you the bike.

First contact mother Yamaha in Cypress, Ca to discuss your options before talking to the dealer who sold you the bike. Contact Us

On the phone with them now. :D

Keep us posted!

Replied in red. Honestly if they want me to go back and have the other dealer do the work, ill just return it. Way to much $$ and time to drive there and back and miss work so much

Just got off the phone with Yamaha.... Not good.

Yamaha is saying it was purchased at auction and the warranty only covers engine, nothing else, and the dealership should have disclosed that to me, which they didn't.

So from here on out I have to deal with dealership. Im debating being there when they open tomorrow to get my bike back and give them this one, or to call and give them a chance to pay for damages and repairs. Im sure they wont pay to have it fixed though.

So this was a 0-mile bike, purchased at a Yamaha dealer and they neglected to tell you that a) it was an auction bike and b) it was damaged quite badly and repaired

Appalling. What else did Yamaha HQ say to you?

So this was a 0-mile bike, purchased at a Yamaha dealer and they neglected to tell you that a) it was an auction bike and b) it was damaged quite badly and repaired -- YES

Appalling. What else did Yamaha HQ say to you?

That's about it, just that they cant do much of anything because of the warranty on auction bikes. They also said if the dealership will not do anything they can "try" to talk to dealer to make it right, but cannot force it because of it being an independent dealership.

I told the lady CALMY that I am a longtime Yamaha buyer / rider, and if it is not resolved by someone, I will sell off every Yamaha bike I own (8 currently, all but 2 bought new) and never buy Yamaha again and same for everyone I know.

Just pissed

Sorry to hear that. I can't believe a Yamaha dealership would do that. I can't believe Yamaha would sell a bike with a crack in the frame. Do you know the law on disclosure in the state you bought the bike from.

Sorry to hear that. I can't believe a Yamaha dealership would do that. I can't believe Yamaha would sell a bike with a crack in the frame. Do you know the law on disclosure in the state you bought the bike from.

Id say its from either the original dealership or the dealership that bought it at auction. I don't blame Yamaha unless they will not make it right if the dealership will not.

I have no clue on the laws in Idaho, except their lemon law doesn't include motorcycles:tdown:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back