Traded in my Gen II, and got SCREWED.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not to be a dick but all this was there when you went to get it. Also, I have to imagine you knew you were buying a used bike, despite having zero miles. Even the paperwork had to have a notation about it being used/auctioned and not having the typical warranty. You have every right to be pissed at the dealership but get a little pissed at yourself. The fact that it was an auction bike has to be on the paperwork or I believe the selling dealership committed felony fraud. Check it out.

T84A; aren't the rules regarding the sale of something different state-to-state? Maybe Idaho has no disclosure laws or doesn't require documentation of such things

Not to be a dick but all this was there when you went to get it. Also, I have to imagine you knew you were buying a used bike, despite having zero miles. Even the paperwork had to have a notation about it being used/auctioned and not having the typical warranty. You have every right to be pissed at the dealership but get a little pissed at yourself. The fact that it was an auction bike has to be on the paperwork or I believe the selling dealership committed felony fraud. Check it out.

That's darned sneaky.

Last edited:
Not to be a dick but all this was there when you went to get it. So far seems you are trying to be

Also, I have to imagine you knew you were buying a used bike, despite having zero miles. Even the paperwork had to have a notation about it being used/auctioned and not having the typical warranty. You have every right to be pissed at the dealership but get a little pissed at yourself. The fact that it was an auction bike has to be on the paperwork or I believe the selling dealership committed felony fraud. Check it out.

Ok, how was I to know, when the fairing was just slightly lose. This damage was behind the fairing and fairing supports. Paperwork DOES NOT notate that it was purchased at auction, nor that it was used. Their website and all paperwork states new. WEBSITE - Yamaha 2012 YZF-R1

Nothing stated on warranty being different, nothing in paperwork or with my warranty information given me. They even tried to sell the Y.E.S. warranty to me. I even received the Yamaha Certificate of Origin that is needed to get the title, hence a BRAND NEW BIKE.

As for little cosmetics, as I stated in the beginning I was ok with it for the price and it being an old stock there are chances it getting bumped. Its the CRACKED FRAME and fairing supports that angered me. Other stuff is barely noticeable and there was so much dust on it most was not noticeable.

Yes I should have inspected better but was in a hurry(my fault) and kept getting pulled from paperwork office to service shop where it was as they charged up battery for me. I usually inspect things way to much and the one time I didn't I am paying for it.

Man that is messed up. Hopefully you financed it. Try and run your vin # through carfax and see if any info comes up

traded in FZ1, rest with my Yamaha financing.

Yamaha ran the VIN and that's how I found out it was an auction bike and why the warranty only covers motor.

I'd start researching local lawyers that specialize in " lemon law " they will know the rules and regulations regarding discloser. I'd also print off, copy and save any advertisements that dealer had representing that bike as
" new " before those advertisements are no longer available .

When you speak with the selling dealer give them the benefit of doubt it is possible they bought it at auction but had no idea of the damage. If you start the conversation with accusations it may not go well.
Give them one opportunity to make it right and if they don't .....time for a lawyer.
Personally I'd just try and get a full refund. You mentioned your a bit of a perfectionist. I'd bet my bottom dollar that bike will be covered with scratches, mis-routed wiring, lost fasteners and assorted other screw ups if they have to switch out the frame.

I'm truly sorry you have to deal with this :(

I'd start researching local lawyers that specialize in " lemon law " they will know the rules and regulations regarding discloser. I'd also print off, copy and save any advertisements that dealer had representing that bike as
" new " before those advertisements are no longer available .

When you speak with the selling dealer give them the benefit of doubt it is possible they bought it at auction but had no idea of the damage. If you start the conversation with accusations it may not go well.
Give them one opportunity to make it right and if they don't .....time for a lawyer.
Personally I'd just try and get a full refund. You mentioned your a bit of a perfectionist. I'd bet my bottom dollar that bike will be covered with scratches, mis-routed wiring, lost fasteners and assorted other screw ups if they have to switch out the frame.

I'm truly sorry you have to deal with this :(

I agree I plan on going in with the state of mind that they didn't know, and did not try to screw me over. Im just going to ask for a refund so we can walk away like it didn't happen, as you are spot on that im a bit of a perfectionist and I will always worry something else is wrong.

Totally sucks no matter how you look at it. But seeing this? I'll be a LOT more wary in the future when buying a bike and having an in-depth look at things before inking my name. Sorry this happened and I hope you get closure that makes it all right again.

If none of their paperwork disclosed the intended warranty or the fact it was a damaged bike bought at auction, then you have a stronger leg to stand on.

Good luck!!

Not true. Dealers buy cars from auction all the time. This includes new cars from wholesale dealers who have excess inventory. Same applies to motorcycles too. If it was sold as a NEW bike bought from a dealer exclusive auction, then it need not be on the history.

To the OP, still pull out the VIN history on it or call the DMV records department. EDIT: So the history does mention it as an auction bike.

Partly agree with the quoted post too as you should have done a pre-delivery visual inspection on a 2-3 year old leftover bike. Those are always the sketchy ones.

I highly doubt the dealer didn't know about this if they had done the inspections.

Last edited:
Ok, how was I to know, when the fairing was just slightly lose. This damage was behind the fairing and fairing supports. Paperwork DOES NOT notate that it was purchased at auction, nor that it was used. Their website and all paperwork states new. WEBSITE - Yamaha 2012 YZF-R1

Nothing stated on warranty being different, nothing in paperwork or with my warranty information given me. They even tried to sell the Y.E.S. warranty to me. I even received the Yamaha Certificate of Origin that is needed to get the title, hence a BRAND NEW BIKE.

As for little cosmetics, as I stated in the beginning I was ok with it for the price and it being an old stock there are chances it getting bumped. Its the CRACKED FRAME and fairing supports that angered me. Other stuff is barely noticeable and there was so much dust on it most was not noticeable.

Yes I should have inspected better but was in a hurry(my fault) and kept getting pulled from paperwork office to service shop where it was as they charged up battery for me. I usually inspect things way to much and the one time I didn't I am paying for it.

better screen shot that website before it gets taken down

To the OP, still pull out the VIN history on it or call the DMV records department. EDIT: So the history does mention it as an auction bike.
Yamaha checked the VIN and they said it was an auction. Not sure if that's from their internal info, ect.....

Partly agree with the quoted post too as you should have done a pre-delivery visual inspection on a 2-3 year old leftover bike. Those are always the sketchy ones.
To a point yes, but overall the fairing was just loose. like it moved 1/4 of an inch and right side moved 1/16 inch. so not that far off and not until fairing was removed was the damage evident, besides the small scuff on footpeg and headlamp cover. But those could have been just scraped from someone walking by it and scuffed. That I would have been ok with at the price, but not a damaged frame.

I highly doubt the dealer didn't know about this if they had done the inspections.
Im gonna go in with the mindset that they didn't, as I do not know for certain. The sharpie mark when I saw it said to me to check fairing and that's when I noticed it was loose and needed buttoned up better.

Out of curiosity does it seem like the frame was damaged or was this a situation of maybe a tip over when shipping. To be honest with you, I've been looking around at R1's and that price is a pretty amazing deal for a brand new bike considering they are going for approx $15k. You traded in your bike which I would assume is around 5-7k. So with only having to finance $5k for a such a good looking bike is the parts that need replacing small enough of a cost to just fix it and be good. Or if you are worried about frame damage do you have a shop by you that does laser geometry readings on the bike to make sure it's straight? In PHX we have a shop that does that, I think it's attached to a race shop

That bike is a statutory write off in Australia and cannot be sold for road use. I would check your local laws regarding such issues.

Sent from my Nexus 5

That bike is a statutory write off in Australia and cannot be sold for road use. I would check your local laws regarding such issues.

Sent from my Nexus 5

I believe it is the same here. Once a frame is cracked, it's typically totaled unless you replace or repair the frame.

BTW, does the title show any evidence that this is a salvaged bike? See if you can get a copy of that title?

Im surprised the bank didn't give you a hard time being they gave you a NEW CYCLE loan not a used one. I know the rate wont be the same That might be a way out of this deal for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back