Tire mix, front/rear

didier9

My 2003 FZ1 has a new PilotRoad 2 at the front and an old (about 80% done) Bridgestone Battlax BT020 with a flat spot (Florida roads chicken strips) at the rear.

When I replace the rear tire, I intend to put a Michelin (I am partial to the brand) but I am confused about the different types. The new PilotRoad 4 has good reviews but I am not sure if it would be good to mix and maybe I should stick with the PR2 type for the rear too?

I am a new rider, in effect, so I am not anywhere ready to use a significant portion of the bike's performance, I am most concerned about safety, comfort and longevity in that order. I am about 200 lbs and never carry any significant load (if it does not fit in the backpack, I don't take it).

Thanks for any advice.

Didier

The easy solution is just to chuck that old BT-020 and put on a Pilot Road 2 to match. There's absolutely nothing wrong with mixing tires but the PR2 is a great tire and cheaper than the 4 by a considerable amount. Seems like a win/win.

I believe they actually still produce the PR2 so you have a good chance of getting a pretty fresh one. Your BT-020 is ancient and just putting a fresh tire on will make a world of difference

:)

Last edited:
Great, thank you! that's what I was hoping for :)
I want to do the fork first (seals are worn out but not leaking yet, but as a minimum I was new oil and new seals there) then a jet kit. This is Florida and everything is hot, I understand the jet kit will reduce the engine temp somewhat which should also help the valves in the long run.
The new tire will go in the fall, then I should be good for a while. Doing fluid changes this week end, it is just so hot working on the bike right now.

I was using pr3 front and rear but just replaced the front with a pr2 , no problems at all virtually the same tread just a few more sipes on the rear for water displacement , if you don't ride a lot in the wet stick with the pr2 , also cheaper

Glad to have you here!
Made appointment with the shop to change the rear tire to a pr2 Monday.
It has been raining a little bit today, I did go out on the wet road, about 30 miles of it, for practice as much as anything.
Of course, I was driving very conservatively.

Sent from my XT1096 using Tapatalk

Back