Theoretical Windows Question Here.

Well good luck with the XP \"downgrade\". I'm sure you'll get through it. If it was a Dell I was going to send you an XP restore CD w/ SP3 already on it. Would just have made the whole process a little faster, but unfortunately it only works on Dell computers...

Thanks Tony. I didn't get to it yesterday, but I just put the updated Fastrack Promise Raid Drivers on a floppy so I may just start doing it this evening this way I'll be finished before the end of the weekend. My machine is a PITA to do. I have to open it up and hook my hard drive to a regular IDE connection until the raid drivers are installed. Then I need to switch it back to the Raid hookup. I should be back on by tomorrow night or Saturday afternoon. Wish me luck. I'm on my way back to "the other side"!

floppy....:poke: Thought those things were used as coasters by now.....unless the term is referring to a "thumb drive".

good luck with the "rollback", I hope that it gets your problems sorted....otherwise a nice 12 gauge should do the trick.....

Adam

I also have another quick question. How do you take a snapshot of your screen in Vista? I want to take a snapshot of my Favorite's Folder while my browser is open so I can replace all my saved websites when I switch over.

goto FILE - IMPORT and EXPORT. This will open en export wizard where you can select to export your favourites into a file "bookmark.htm"

floppy....:poke: Thought those things were used as coasters by now.....unless the term is referring to a \"thumb drive\".

good luck with the \"rollback\", I hope that it gets your problems sorted....otherwise a nice 12 gauge should do the trick.....

Adam

You DO know that us geeks consider XP the best "upgrade" from Vista, right? :box: ;)

Well, sir....I'm not a Geek I'm a DORK.....so it is all Greek to me.....

If you download the Win 7, and just recently purchased an elligible laptop to upgrade from Vista, will it be just a matter of entering the license code to make it stick??

Adam

No, the Beta isn't compatible with the release. It would be a new install. However, the Release of 7 will upgrade Vista in-place without loss of data and settings.

No, the Beta isn't compatible with the release. It would be a new install. However, the Release of 7 will upgrade Vista in-place without loss of data and settings.

sometime in October for the release of Win 7 -- as for the upgrade, may just use the old laptop as the test case b/c the last thing I want to do is rebuild -- after the last ordeal I underwent....but then I can change a partition to primary and install on there and then go back to a dual boot scenario -- or run it virtually until I'm comfortable...

Adam

sometime in October for the release of Win 7 -- as for the upgrade, may just use the old laptop as the test case b/c the last thing I want to do is rebuild -- after the last ordeal I underwent....but then I can change a partition to primary and install on there and then go back to a dual boot scenario -- or run it virtually until I'm comfortable...

Adam

Well, until then I am sticking with XP. I'll be offline from this afternoon until maybe Sunday so have a great weekend. Hopefully it won't be that long.

Win7 was released already to businesses with Enterprise of Software Assurance agreements. I'm running the x64 full Ent version on my laptop. It has been zero issues thus far. I'm sure stuff will crop up though, after all, it is MicroSloth. The public will get it on Oct. 22nd, just in time for your Halloween scare! :D

Win7 was released already to businesses with Enterprise of Software Assurance agreements. I'm running the x64 full Ent version on my laptop. It has been zero issues thus far. I'm sure stuff will crop up though, after all, it is MicroSloth. The public will get it on Oct. 22nd, just in time for your Halloween scare! :D

I imagine the full version being close to $300.00 dollars???

new yes -- upgrade from 99-129 with ultimate being almost full retail -- or at least the home/premium prices is what I've seen advertised on the web.

Now, I have a full version of Ultimate (32 and 64) wonder if I can obtain better pricing??

Adam

I'm back Baby!!! Fully up to date with XP again. Microsloth is a royal PITA! Not only did it make me do service pack 2 first, everytime I installed a service pack and restarted, I had to call Microsloth to reactivate!! 3 times this evening, can you believe that! I'm gonna finish this tomorrow. Can't keep my eyes open any longer.

A BIG thanks to everyone that helped me with pointers on this matter. Everything went in super smooth. While I have much to finish, I can at least get on the internet so thats cool. Thanks again everyone and good night!

w00t! Well, it should NOT have had an issue with SP3 out of the box. That is THEIR rules. But glad you made it thorugh it!

I have a product at work that I'll send you a link to that will slipstream the SP3 into the XP cd is you want. Found this one today! Then, it will create a bootable ISO that you can create a CD from and install XP with SP3 already in place. Wish I had found this a couple days ago!

:cool: that you're back up on XP though!

Are any of you guys running Internet Explorer 8 yet. If so, have you had any issues in terms of internet speed? I remember when I went from IE6 to IE7, my speed decreased severely because of all the security measures implemented by IE7. Now I'm running 7 and yesterday after going back to XP, it wants to install IE8 but I declined thus far. I'll wait to hear from someone running it before I take the plunge. Right now, with the XP back in, the computer is absolutely insanely fast. And thats not because of a fresh install either, because I had very little stuff on the machine running Vista. With Vista, I would click on my browser and would have to wait at least 15 to 20 seconds for my MSN Homepage to open. Now back to XP, I click my browser and Whammo!, MSN is up and running. Less than 2 seconds. I don't know why I ever went to Vista. Oh well, live and learn! Someone please get back to me on the IE8 thing. Thanks.

Give me the pros and cons. Isn't a browser a browser??

I think IE 8 and Firefox are comparable. That being said at home I started using Firefox and love it. Lots of cool add ons (I particularly like Adblock Plus and Fast Dial) and very easy to patch and upgrade. Give it a try Billy. You can run both on your machine w/o any issues. When you install Firefox it will even import your Favorites form IE.

Back