Theoretical Windows Question Here.

I am curious if anyone has had any issues going from Vista, backwards to an earlier operating system. I do remember once having a hell of a time going from Windows ME back to 98 Second Edition. Do you think I'll have a problem booting up from my XP disc running Vista? I just want to be prepared for this Friday evening when I tackle this. I miss the old days when I would boot up from a floppy and format the drive and start a fresh install. Now everything boots from CD. Any input would be nice. Thanks in advance guys.

I also have another quick question. How do you take a snapshot of your screen in Vista? I want to take a snapshot of my Favorite's Folder while my browser is open so I can replace all my saved websites when I switch over.

Billy, there is an option called "Windows Easy Transfer" where you can run it, transfer settings like documents and favorites, etc... to a USB flash drive or external drive. I believe that it is compatible with the XP Files and Settings Transfer Wizard. This will capture almost everything you want and get it on to the new OS.

As for problems, once you boot from the XP CD, tell it to wipe the entire drive and format it, then install XP. Should be zero issues. Be sure to download SP3 first and install that from a thumb drive after the XP install.

Billy, there is an option called \"Windows Easy Transfer\" where you can run it, transfer settings like documents and favorites, etc... to a USB flash drive or external drive. I believe that it is compatible with the XP Files and Settings Transfer Wizard. This will capture almost everything you want and get it on to the new OS.

As for problems, once you boot from the XP CD, tell it to wipe the entire drive and format it, then install XP. Should be zero issues. Be sure to download SP3 first and install that from a thumb drive after the XP install.

Thanks Eric, I was just nervous that it may tell me that the operating system already installed is newer like it did when I tried putting 98 over ME. Sounds good. I have already backed up all documents on my thumb drive as well as pictures, videos, etc. I'm all set. I can't wait to get back to XP.

Also, can I do SP3 right from Windows Update once I have an internet connection??

You can do it thru updates but make it priority. If you tell XP to wipe the drive, it will not gripe. :D

Thanks Bud! Will do that first before anything else. Also, real quick and I'll stop bothering you. Both my son and I have brain freeze. What does IT stand for? I'm sure once you tell me I'll bang the side of my head since it's right there but won't come out.

Word of caution...you will not be able to go from XP w/o any service pack right to SP3. You will need at least SP1 or SP2 installed before you can go to SP3. I know it doesn't make sense, but that has been my experience. By the way what brand is the computer that you'll be reinstalling XP onto?

Word of caution...you will not be able to go from XP w/o any service pack right to SP3. You will need at least SP1 or SP2 installed before you can go to SP3. I know it doesn't make sense, but that has been my experience. By the way what brand is the computer that you'll be reinstalling XP onto?

Not true any more. SP3 is a stand alone now that can be applied as the first service pack. Here is the link to download the entire stand-alone SP3. Download details: Windows XP Service Pack 3 Network Installation Package for IT Professionals and Developers

In case you missed it before what brand is your computer? If it's a Dell I may be able to \\"help\\" you out a bit :D

No, unfortunately it's my own build. Starting about 15 years ago I had a side business building custom computers. At it's height, I was building 3 or 4 a month. I made them to suit the customer's needs. There was no "onboard" anything. Those were the days. Then they started selling desktops for 5 or 6 hundred dollars out the door, and there went the business. My business came down to customers who wanted better systems without "onboard" components. Many no longer wanted to spend $1400.00 dollars but rather run to Comp USA or Radio Shack and pick up a cheap desktop. Me myself, aside from the new boards with excellent Digital Dolby "onboard" these days, I'd rather have separate cards of my choosing for video, sound, etc. I'm still in love with my ASUS P4PE which still runs like a champ, even when overclocked. It's as stable as the Rock of Gibralta and is still going strong after 9 years. I'm running 2 gigs of RAM, Western Digital 320g HD, ATI Radeon 256mb AGP, ATI All In Wonder Pro PCI (For Video In & TV), Creative Sound Blaster Live 5.1, and my LAN card which I forget the brand. This machine has been through 3 moves, 2 hard drives, and about 4 operating systems, and has never given me any issue related to the motherboard, memory, or power supply. So I guess until I find the right board/chip combo, I'll just keep plugging away with my "mule".

Well good luck with the XP "downgrade". I'm sure you'll get through it. If it was a Dell I was going to send you an XP restore CD w/ SP3 already on it. Would just have made the whole process a little faster, but unfortunately it only works on Dell computers...

Back