The gearing thread

I actually just dropped my front sprocket to 16t and kept the stock rear sprocket -- gonna be picking up the bike next week after a bunch of mods - will def do a post reporting my impressions!

I loved it !! She picks up a little quicker , as far as top speed i dont need to go 155 !!
If you do ALOT of highway miles i would not do the 16/47 .
Also some of the curves i had to wind second gear out before i could put in third and come out faster and smoother .
I didnt get to ride it much because i got a flat .
I hope that helped

I have the impression that changing gearing doesn't have much effect on top speed... This happens only if the bike hits the rev limiter with 6th gear.
But most bikes hit their top speed where the engine's power is equaled by the power of aerodynamic and friction resistances.
For example if a bike achieves its top speed at 11krpms with stock gearing while the limiter is at 12krpms with shorter gearing it will rev higher (eg 11200rpms, because at 11krpms has now a lower top speed, thus lower resistances) and achieve almost the same top speed.

If you do ALOT of highway miles i would not do the 16/47 .
Totally agree with that!

I’ve played with my gearing a bit. I’ve run a “highway” setup (17/42) and a city/twisty setup (16/47) both with the stock chain. The “highway” setup pushed my rear-wheel adjustment close to maximum out (widest-wheelbase), and “twisty” setup did the opposite and put the rear-wheel nearly full-forward (shortest wheelbase.)
I don’t wheelie, but the “highway” setup certainly makes the bike feel lazy in 1st-gear. The “twisty” gearing is certainly more fun, except when you want to cruise at 70+. (At that point, I want an extra gear – even two.) Maybe it’s my forward-leaning seating position, but I’ve never had the front wheel lift applying the power – instead the rear wheel breaks-loose.

As a side note… If there’s one complaint I have about the FZ1 – it’s the gearbox ratios. I guess for maximum performance on a high-rpm engine the very close-ratio is optimum, but I’d sure like a wider-spread on the ratios. A lower first-gear for out-the-hole, and a taller (higher) sixth-gear for highway cruising.

I have the impression that changing gearing doesn't have much effect on top speed... This happens only if the bike hits the rev limiter with 6th gear.
But most bikes hit their top speed where the engine's power is equaled by the power of aerodynamic and friction resistances.
For example if a bike achieves its top speed at 11krpms with stock gearing while the limiter is at 12krpms with shorter gearing it will rev higher (eg 11200rpms, because at 11krpms has now a lower top speed, thus lower resistances) and achieve almost the same top speed.

Correct with the 16 /45 ( on a closed coarse) the bike did a true 155 without hitting the limiter. I think the 16/47 would have hit the limiter early and that 17/49 sounds interesting

16 F 45R makes the 6th gear on highway speed do ? Does it have much effect on mpg ?
Does the 16F stock rear make the bike like or close to say bmw S1000R ?

16 F 45R makes the 6th gear on highway speed do ? Does it have much effect on mpg ?
Does the 16F stock rear make the bike like or close to say bmw S1000R ?

The 16/45 makes the sprocket drive ratio 2.81 to 1. The stock 17/45 drive ratio is 2.64 to 1. (Divide 45 by 16 and 17.) This means with the 17F, the crankshaft (front spocket) turns 2.64 revolutions to turn the rear sprocket/tire 1 full revolution. (The 16t has to turn 2.81 revolutions for 1 tire revolution. ) So – running the 16 F means you are turning more engine rpm to go any speed vs the 17F.

My guess is that the mpg would be minimal to no difference. If you do a lot of city (stop and go) you may actually get better mileage with the 16 F because it takes less engine power to get the bike moving. If you do lots of highway, the 17 would probably result is a little better since the cruising rpm is a little lower.

I see you did a stock front and 47 rear ? what's it like Darth........ I don't wanna do wheelies just better oooooomphhh from start and overtakes .while not to much buzz from motorways (highways)

I checked, I'm running a 17/48, not 47. Rides perfect, the right amount of grunt on acceleration from a stop and out of corners. The bike also runs an ECU flash and dynotuned for ridability. Loving it.

No worries about front end going light ?
I'm leaning towards 48 as I'm thinking 47 won't add that much ?
Next would be DID chain heavy duty with rental anodised Gold sprockets ?

I used a 530 Steel Driven Racing 49T rear sprocket. I bought it from Motomummy.com

Not that much surely cos the rear has to come off anyways ......

No not that much extra work, I prefer changing the rear as it's easier on the chain than a smaller front sprocket.

Here is some info and pics on a thread I created recently:

http://www.998cc.org/forum/fz1-general-discussion/21305-530-chain-2.html#post185380

http://www.998cc.org/forum/fz1-general-discussion/21305-530-chain-2.html#post185880

motomummy ............ heard it all now lol
I don't flick the throttle back hard though I do pull the throttle some what in the dry leaving a big gap from the light's between me and the car's.I'm wondering where they are in my mirror's hehe

The front will rise on full throttle with - 1 in the front, or +3 in the rear.

47 will probably be enough to make a difference. DID is one of the best. Buy steel sprockets for better durability

motomummy ............ heard it all now lol
I don't flick the throttle back hard though I do pull the throttle some what in the dry leaving a big gap from the light's between me and the car's.I'm wondering where they are in my mirror's hehe
Unless you are leaving black lines or power wheelieing, you're not opening that throttle properly

Back