Tank Bag vs Tail bag

The zipper on my Tank Bag broke today so I had to go back to using my Backpack, which sucks.

I had really liked using the Tank bag for the most part, but I am curious about using a Tail Bag instead this time around.

It seems like for the same money you can get something slightly bigger than what you can for the Tank.

I know some of you guys have used them. I primarily take my lunch and some extra gloves, liners and sometimes a sweater. And from time to time I would like to be able to bring my laptop as well, but it was always a tight fit in the old Tank Bag I had.

I read some reviews and some people said getting the tail bag off was a quick process and that the straps are typically perma-mounted to the bike somehow? I just don't want to be fiddling with the bag when I get places, and I want to be able to ride without it from time to time without having to remove too many straps so they do not dangle when the bag is not attached.

Thoughts?

EDIT:
This is one Tank Bag I was looking at:
http://www.discountramps.com/motorc...&cagpspn=pla&gclid=CM7m5tKKgbwCFcQ9QgodQDQAnA

And I liked the Tail Bag from Tourmaster.

Last edited:
i prefer tank bag cuz, it's directly in front of you, so easy access to phone, water, map whatever. also, when i get tired/bored i can go into a "tuck" and prop my helmet on the tank bag and "rest" a little.

however, removing it to fill up every time gets old even if its super easy with magnets to just lift em off. so, bungie net your backpack to the tail for awhile, see how that goes for ya

i also just did buy cortech super 2.0 saddlebags for touring but not the tail bag cuz, never know if i'll need room for a passenger

i also just did buy cortech super 2.0 saddlebags for touring but not the tail bag cuz, never know if i'll need room for a passenger

Im seriously looking at the saddle and tail bag configuration on the super 2.0.

How do you like the saddles? I would probably use the tail more, and then saddles for touring.

Im seriously looking at the saddle and tail bag configuration on the super 2.0.

How do you like the saddles? I would probably use the tail more, and then saddles for touring.

when i say just bought them i was quite literal, they're still in the mail! should be here in a day or two so uh, i'll get back to you on that in a few days lol

when i say just bought them i was quite literal, they're still in the mail! should be here in a day or two so uh, i'll get back to you on that in a few days lol

LOL im close to buying them as I don't think my magnetic tank bag will work on my R1

I have the oxford tank and tail bags. The tank bag is magnetic and the tail bag is bungee. I never use the tailbag, I only use the tankbag. I find it easier and quicker to use.

LOL im close to buying them as I don't think my magnetic tank bag will work on my R1
I have the Cortech tail/saddle bag set up and it does work well once you set it up. However, I made the switch to GIVI V35 hard case side bags so I can lock up my helmet and gear while at work but I still use the tailbag.

The Cortech set held up very well in a 200 mile trip in the rain on a slab. No leaks through the rain covers. I also have the Cortech slope tank bag with mag mounts which is OK.

I love my motorcycle purse (aka tankbag) ;) toss the camera and a ballcap in it, boom! It's just more convenient for me to grab it off the bike and go into a restaurant, rather than having to unhook everything involved with a tailbag, at least that's my 2 cents

I definitely prefer a tank bag for small day trips. Any longer rides I think it's better to have hard luggage. That said, I did tour with soft side cases and it's ok but I much prefer hard luggage

I have the Cortech tail/saddle bag set up and it does work well once you set it up. However, I made the switch to GIVI V35 hard case side bags so I can lock up my helmet and gear while at work but I still use the tailbag.

The Cortech set held up very well in a 200 mile trip in the rain on a slab. No leaks through the rain covers. I also have the Cortech slope tank bag with mag mounts which is OK.

I like my givi setup on my fz1 but to me doesn't work for the r1. I like the bike without luggage but want luggage on long trips, so soft works best for me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've got a soft tail bag and its really handy. It requires a slightly different approach to get on the bike when full but it does the job quite well. I use that and a backpack.

Years ago I came up with a strap "system" that hides under my G2 rear seat. I have used it for more things than I can remember, including a tank bag. Cheap and easy to make and use.
terdog-albums-pics-picture3849-fz-cell-pics-006.jpg

terdog-albums-pics-picture3766-quincy-pics-7-13-058a.jpg

I also love the new still of tank bag that uses the base ring on the gas cap. And, have you looked at the VENTURA SYSTEM bags?

Heres both in action for a day ride.

terdog-albums-pics-picture3896-joe-tahoe-068.jpg

I use magnetic tank bag when I'm not using the top box & saddle bags.
It really is easy to reach to grab things in and out of it quickly.

Having said that,
I think it looks ugly (well, all luggage looks ugly but in comparison to the tail bag),,It gets in the way if I want to corner hard, and I'm always concerned it might make a mark on the paint work.

Was thinking about moving on to tail bags but reading other comments, it seems not as convenient to use?

20131226_152733_zps67ce349a.jpg

gc5574485182010898161-1_zpse6082f8c.jpg

bungie net your backpack to the tail for awhile, see how that goes for ya

Ha, That is actually what I ended up doing. I was looking and looking at different tank and tail bags at the local shop and did not like the prices on most of them and then thought about the bungie net for my backpack...

$8.00 later I have my Backpack bungied down on the back of the bike. It works great. yeah it take a few seconds longer than my old magnetic tank bag did, but my backpack holds way more.

I am going to try just using the bungie for now. Thanks for the tips guys, I like seeing everyone's setups.

When I bought the bike it came with the Givi V46 pod. I laughed and said that I'd never use it and bought the Cortech tail bag and it fit perfectly on the mounting plate. I use it for typical day rides. I have taken the pod on several long day trips and I was glad to have the extra space.

Take a look at the Kreiga modular tail bags. I have the US40 kit that
includes a 20-liter bag and two 10-liter bags.
They quick connect to straps that go under the passenger seat, it only
takes a few seconds to put on and off.

I use a single 10-liter bag for daily commutes and combinations
of the others for trips depending on how much stuff I want to carry.

Back