Sub Throttle plates

Ok, that sucked. I couldn't get the old flies out. I'll just send back the undersized ones.

Should I send them to the next person in line or back to you, NH?

Thanks for letting me in on this!

Did you try using A LOT of heat? I bought one of those butane microtorches specifically for this job, as without it I couldn't get a single screw out. After getting the torch, all 8 were out within 5 minutes. Definitely the key to making the flies install cake.

I can try a butane microtorch later but it'll just take me another week or two before I get around to it. NH, let me know if that's ok and I'll try it.

I can try a butane microtorch later but it'll just take me another week or two before I get around to it. NH, let me know if that's ok and I'll try it.

Yes, that is OK. I only have one in waiting and the stock set from creedmoorfan arrived today. Thanks!!! :tup:

Heat is the key, when you see smoke, twist the screwdriver. You can actually hear the threadlock sizzle if you get it to that melting point. :D

Yes, that is OK. I only have one in waiting and the stock set from creedmoorfan arrived today. Thanks!!! :tup:

Heat is the key, when you see smoke, twist the screwdriver. You can actually hear the threadlock sizzle if you get it to that melting point. :D

Yeah, I just hope I didn't goof up the screws. Only one may have a little stripping but most of the damage was to the screwdrivers I used. I need to get a better one.

It's #0, right? Any suggestions on brand? I tried a SKIL mini driver set with #o bit, and some #0 off-brand mini driver fixed size; They both "twisted" at the end from torquing against the screws. Not twisted the shaft, but deformed the contact area.

If you have a Sears close by, go ask them for a (yes) #0 hardened jewelers Philips head. Apply a micro torch (2000+ degree model) for 5 - 7 seconds then press firmly down on the screw and loosen. If it doesn't immediately break free, don't over do it on the force, use more heat first. You'll have them out very quickly.

If you have a Sears close by, go ask them for a (yes) #0 hardened jewelers Philips head. Apply a micro torch (2000+ degree model) for 5 - 7 seconds then press firmly down on the screw and loosen. If it doesn't immediately break free, don't over do it on the force, use more heat first. You'll have them out very quickly.
+1

If the screws don't come free with VERY minimal effort, they're not hot enough. I also gave my screwdriver a good whack with a wrench just before turning it just to be sure it was seated in the head properly, may also help break the threadlocker. Regardless, don't be afraid to use more heat!

EDIT: also if you think you might have messed up the head on some of the screws, I would recommend ordering some new ones prior to doing this, so you'll have them when you go to put everything back together. Two easy options: both from that OTHER fz1 forum :)
1.http://www.yamahafz1oa.com/forum/showthread.php?t=112374 $3 shipped and they're allen headed
2. PM this guy:http://www.yamahafz1oa.com/forum/member.php?u=11939 asking about the sub-throttle plate screws and they're $5 shipped, phillips just like stock.
good luck!

Last edited:
+1

If the screws don't come free with VERY minimal effort, they're not hot enough. I also gave my screwdriver a good whack with a wrench just before turning it just to be sure it was seated in the head properly, may also help break the threadlocker. Regardless, don't be afraid to use more heat!

EDIT: also if you think you might have messed up the head on some of the screws, I would recommend ordering some new ones prior to doing this, so you'll have them when you go to put everything back together. Two easy options: both from that OTHER fz1 forum :)
1.Allen Head Secondary Throttle Plate Screws - FZ1OA Message Board $3 shipped and they're allen headed
2. PM this guy:FZ1OA Message Board asking about the sub-throttle plate screws and they're $5 shipped, phillips just like stock.
good luck!

Allens would be much more reliable, would they not? though, I dont' know why you'd have to remove these again...

Alright guys, I need help! I got a mini torch and it works great. Problem is, one of the screw heads is totally farked up from when I was trying to do it without the torch and with crappier drivers. It's just like a big crater now.

Suggestions? This sucks... I can't get a good grip on it with anything.

Alright guys, I need help! I got a mini torch and it works great. Problem is, one of the screw heads is totally farked up from when I was trying to do it without the torch and with crappier drivers. It's just like a big crater now.

You can go get yourself a tap out, it's gonna be a really small one though, go to Ace Hardware or somewhere like that an they will have one. That should back it out. I had one screw SO locked in I couldn't even get it out with that, I ended up plugging the throttle body with a rag, drilling and tapping for a half size bigger screw. Then used a magnet to get out any debris after. It's been fine for two years. :)

I had one like this. Tape and seal off the throttle plate get you dermal tool with a cutting wheel on it. What i did was cut a line bisecting the head of the screw now you can use a straight escrow driver. I believe i also use a small hammer with the screw driver and tapped it in a counter clockwise direction after applying a lot of heat to the screw.

It's so effed up now that I'm not sure there is enough screw material left, but I will try. I will either need a small diameter wheel on the dremel or end up cutting into the plate rotating shaft since they are counter-sunk, right?

Also, what about metal filings falling into the throttle body?

It's so effed up now that I'm not sure there is enough screw material left, but I will try. I will either need a small diameter wheel on the dremel or end up cutting into the plate rotating shaft since they are counter-sunk, right?

Also, what about metal filings falling into the throttle body?

Did you read my post? See above! Or a reverse bit!

Oh yeah! How'd you stuff a rag down there and pull it out without filings falling past it when you removed it?

I turned the fly sideways and stuffed it in there, when I was finished I used my little car vacuum and then a magnet before I pulled the rag back out. Just gotta be careful is all!

I don't have the tools (or the money) to modify my flies so if someone is willing to hook me up with some modified ones I'd be more than happy to send my stock ones to them when I install the mods. :unworthy:

Back