Sub Throttle plates

FZ1inTX

Adminstrator
Thanks to Brad (Hail), I have a second set of stock sub throttle plates on the way. I am going to modify those as well as my originals much like the Copperdog plates. Since Brad is kind enough to send me his for free, I will do the same for another member. We'd like to keep this going and continue to pay it forward.

If you are paying it forward but are not comfortable with modding the plates, you can send them to me to mod and I will get them out to the next person in line. :D

Brad is sending his out tomorrow. It will take me a few days to mod those, get them installed and get the second set modded and ready to send. Please post up here and we'll work through the thread in the order they are posted.

Thanks Brad!

Last edited by a moderator:
No one is interested in some free modded throttle plates? Sign up here if you want a free set of modded plates. All you need to do is send your originals back after you install the modified plates. We can keep this going....

Why do I feel like I am putting Eric on the spot?

I just did mine last weekend. If had come across this post would have definitely taken up Eric on the offer...

If anyone wants the sub throttle screws, they can try Ace Hardware. I got some from there after I stripped 3 of mine. They are 2.5mm screws...

I'm game if they're still up for grabs. Gen II, correct?

I'll swap mine out and mod my airbox and send you my originals back.

let me know.

I'm game if they're still up for grabs. Gen II, correct?

I'll swap mine out and mod my airbox and send you my originals back.

let me know.

Yes, Gen II. I can do that late next week for you! I've not modded that set yet but will do it when I get back in the state next week and send them out to you. PM me your name and address and I'll drop them in the mail. Once swapped out, please send back the stock ones to be modded for the next person.

Thanks!!

I just did mine last weekend. If had come across this post would have definitely taken up Eric on the offer...

If anyone wants the sub throttle screws, they can try Ace Hardware. I got some from there after I stripped 3 of mine. They are 2.5mm screws...

I went a brought a good quality screwdriver to take the screws out with as you only get one pop at getting them.

A quality driver and a micro torch.. do not be afraid to heat them up! I did about 5 - 7 seconds of direct heat per screw. All backed out very easily.

Don't forget the thread locker when you put them back in too. ;)

I bought a #00 Fuller screwdriver and actually bent the screwdriver!!! Luckily I had a quality screwdriver already and got them out easy. I guess what I'm saying is if you want a quality #00 Phillips head screwdriver for this job....don't buy a Fuller.

This surprised me because I've always found their products good.

I got a micro torch and am ready for the job. I watched CopperDawgs instructions. I'm half tempted to just mod mine on my own...tin snips and a dremel sanding wheel should do the trick.

I guess I'll wait...or should I?

I got a micro torch and am ready for the job. I watched CopperDawgs instructions. I'm half tempted to just mod mine on my own...tin snips and a dremel sanding wheel should do the trick.

Make sure you use a micrometer like in the video and Go for it. If you screw it up then you'll just have to wait until the aftermarket ones get there to put it back together.

That is entirely up to you. It's not at all difficult if you just use caution and make small cuts. Careful cutting means less filing. BTW, even if you really mess it up, you know the bike will still run without them. If you're not a top-end driver and spend the day riding in the mid-range, you might even like it without the plates. What you can do it remove them and put the bike back together. Take it out for a few days using your butt-dyno and mod you plates carefully while these few days pass by. Then, install the modded plates and compare your own notes. Then, you'll have a good understanding of what all three possible situations give you for performance in the way you ride.

Keep me posted!

-Eric

Thanks Eric.

I'm considering it, I know I'll have some spare time this weekend and I hate to sit idly by when I could be tinkering.

Was thinking about modding the flies, cutting the airbox and descreen my stock filter this weekend.

Am I :kuku:

I'll let you know what I decide, as of now keep em coming to me. :)

Thanks Eric.

I'm considering it, I know I'll have some spare time this weekend and I hate to sit idly by when I could be tinkering.

Was thinking about modding the flies, cutting the airbox and descreen my stock filter this weekend.

Am I :kuku:

I'll let you know what I decide, as of now keep em coming to me. :)

Will do! If you haven't made the leap before I get back to NH next week, I'll get them out the door by May 8th at the latest.

All three of those can easily be done together. I did the other two and the flies later and wished I'd done all three at the same time. While there, plug the AIS tube and cap that off. Use the bolt method previously mentioned.. cut the head off a bolt, cut a slot in the top for a screwdriver, coat it with silicone and thread it into the tube, then re-attach it to the airbox. You'll have all of this apart and the tube will be in your hand at least twice. :D

I think I'm going to just mod mine here, so go ahead and keep your set for the next guy. I'm going to cut down my airbox, descreen my filter and do the flies while i'm in there.

I should get my new pipe on Thursday, so doing this all that night.

Sorry for the hassle.

Hi, I'm new to the forum and based in the UK. I'd like to modify the sub-throttle plates but would prefer to buy them already modded. Can you buy them in the US or can anyone supply a contact email address to any dealers who sell on line?
I know it's probably been asked hundreds of times but does the mod make much difference?? :confused0024:
Carl

Hi, I'm new to the forum and based in the UK. I'd like to modify the sub-throttle plates but would prefer to buy them already modded. Can you buy them in the US or can anyone supply a contact email address to any dealers who sell on line?
I know it's probably been asked hundreds of times but does the mod make much difference?? :confused0024:
Carl
I don't have any personal experience with his products, but it seems everyone who buys them loves them. His tutorial vids are great also.
Sub Throttle Plates

I have one set modded for install. I will mail them out if you promise to send me the originals. While mine are not as refined and polished as a CD or Ivan's set, they function exactly the same way.

No charge, just an address to mail them to and please send your originals back to me. Thanks!

I have one set modded for install. I will mail them out if you promise to send me the originals. While mine are not as refined and polished as a CD or Ivan's set, they function exactly the same way.

No charge, just an address to mail them to and please send your originals back to me. Thanks!

I really appreciate the offer but I've bought a set off copperdawg as I wanted to keep the original set incase I need to put them back in. Hopefully they won't take to long to reach me in the UK.

Ps, Great site and very helpful so far CHEERS :tup:

Back