Stainless Steel Brake Lines -The Best Ones

I was going thru the same thing - trying to decide which to buy, but it kind of solved itself. The guy I got the '08 R1 forks and the R1 calipers from included a set of Spiegler lines.

I still need to buy a rear line....

Ok so with all this input looks like HEL LINES are the ones to go with!

- No rusting
- No color loss on banjos
- Long term use with no problems
- Overall problem free

Thanks to everyone it pays to own a FZ1!

Cheers

Ok so with all this input looks like HEL LINES are the ones to go with!

- No rusting
- No color loss on banjos
- Long term use with no problems
- Overall problem free

Thanks to everyone it pays to own a FZ1!

Cheers

I have the HEL lines, (RED ones), on my bike that I bought from Billy earlier this month. While I haven't ridden it much yet, they feel absolutelty awesome, and oohh boy . . . . they just LOOK FABULOUS !! heh,heh,
I am very pleased with them so far . . . . :cheers:

My question is everyone! Which manufacturer of Stainless Steel Brake Lines are the best on the market? There are so many companies who produce them, and I'm looking to buy front and rear lines for my 2003 Bumblebee, just looking for some input!

Cheers

Hi Liter Machine, I got Goodridge race-routed S/S braided lines with upgrade to S/S polished ends. These are the Yamaha accessory upgrade on the official FZ1 Yamaha web site. All the brands mentioned in this thread are high quality and will better your braking by 50% or more.:)

So, no one with HEL or Speigler has any rust issues? I've been eyeing both companies and based on prior threads I've tossed the thought of Galfers.

Based on this thread alone, seems like a HEL of a choice! :D

Eric, I have HEL lines on both of my bikes and they look just as good as the day I installed them...no rust issues what so ever. And the FZ1 has seen enough rain to cause an issue if there was going to be one.

Eric, I have HEL lines on both of my bikes and they look just as good as the day I installed them...no rust issues what so ever. And the FZ1 has seen enough rain to cause an issue if there was going to be one.

Thanks Tony! Michele will be happy when she sees the purple banjos with the dark purple lines! LOL!!! I'm digging the blue/blue lines.

I'm looking at the HelUSA site and see the 2 line race length but nothing to replace OEM config with the three lines for the front. If I go with two lines, I'll need a bolt replacement for dual banjos correct? Any concerns on the HEL lines for banjo configuration with two race lines? Angles, etc?

Thanks!!

I'm looking at the HelUSA site and see the 2 line race length but nothing to replace OEM config with the three lines for the front. If I go with two lines, I'll need a bolt replacement for dual banjos correct? Any concerns on the HEL lines for banjo configuration with two race lines? Angles, etc?

Thanks!!

Most aftermarket line kits are two lines. I suppose you could duplicate the stock setup if you get some custom lines, but I really don't think it's worth trouble. Plus the main reason for the dual lines is to get consistent pressure at both calipers.

My HEL lines are still looking great and the fit was fine.

Most aftermarket line kits are two lines. I suppose you could duplicate the stock setup if you get some custom lines, but I really don't think it's worth trouble. Plus the main reason for the dual lines is to get consistent pressure at both calipers.

My HEL lines are still looking great and the fit was fine.

So I will need to buy the new dual banjo bolt?

I actually was doing research on that very aspect... what's the difference between two, three, one full/one over the fender... all the configs. I found this in the HEL FAQ section. Good stuff?

HEL Brake Doctor said:
Brake Doctor - Do -02 lines give more pressure than -03 lines?

No - the fitting of the smaller dash 2 hoses sold by some manufacturers makes NO difference to the pressure produced at the caliper as is commonly believed. There are no substantial benefits associated with the use of dash 2 hoses except that the manufacturer can charge you more for them. The only way to increase pressure coming out of the system is to increase the pressure going into the system. 500 psi in equals 500 psi out - Fluid cannot be compressed to a lesser volume, no matter how high the pressure and Pressure is equal over all surfaces of the containing system.

Brake Doctor - What is the difference in performance between two full length front lines and an over the mudguard line kit?

Nothing except for the way the system looks. Both systems operate in exactly the same way and give you the same performance. As the system is a closed hydraulic system without air in it when the fluid moves at one end the same movement takes place at the other end. Because they have different lengths doesn't mean that the system will work slower at one end than the other. Imagine pushing two sticks away from you which are both 6" long - the ends both move at the same time. Now imagine pushing two sticks - one is 6" and the other is 36" - the ends still both move at exactly the same time. So the over the mudguard gives the same performance as the 2 full length - it's just which you prefer.

I purchased an HEL full kit for both the SV and the FZ600 and have run into some mix up with the kit for the SV. I've been dealing with HEL Canada for questions and support and they have been fantastic. I should have the correct kit for my SV soon and will post up here with my thoughts.

This will be my first time with braided brake lines on a bike so I'm interested to see the results

Is the Gen II banjo bolt an M10x1.0 or M10x1.25 ?? I need to order two, one for each FZ1. :D

*EDIT* Never mind. Saw the note that all HEL kits come with the proper bolts and copper washers. :D

Last edited:
Is the Gen II banjo bolt an M10x1.0 or M10x1.25 ?? I need to order two, one for each FZ1. :D

*EDIT* Never mind. Saw the note that all HEL kits come with the proper bolts and copper washers. :D

Yea, I was wondering why you were asking about the banjo bolts. My HEL kit came with everything needed to mount the lines (banjo bolts and crush washers).

Euro is 1.00 (Ape, Duc, BMW), Japanese is 1.25.

My new Brembo MC can with a dual bolt, I needed a single, and none of the bolts I had would fit as the threads were too course. Speigler and Goodridge can hook you with a wide variety of bolts.

Goodridge

I fitted Goodridge as I could get a stock configuration and custom length for the top line at a very good price. Feel good, look good so far, good customer support.

So, I've installed HEL front/rear brake line kits on both the SV650 and the FZ600S. I've never actually felt the difference for myself between old OEM lines and new steel lines, but I have now!

What a difference. The brakes on my SV feel absolutely fantastic now. I always run fresh brake fluid and HH pads in the front but after swapping to HEL lines, the brakes feel amazing.

It's on my must-do list for maintenance items now.

Well worth the money

I would only use Hel lines now , when i bought my hayabusa it had braided lines fitted already , ( I dont know whos ) anyway one fine sunny day off i go for a ride , I get to to top of my road and as press the rear brake the line burst spraying the bike with brake fluid . Still had the front brake so no drama ., But changed them all out for Hel lines :nono:

Back