SpeedoDRD install

Eric I haven't noticed anything like that with my bike. Next time I ride it I will pay more attention...by the way I've had the SpeedoDRD installed now for almost two years.

Thanks Tony. Can you, if you think of it, next time at the bike, pop the seat and note the version on the back side of the PCBoard? Do you recall what your current setting is? (Good to note this for everyone here as a record of your device! ;) )

With the rain, I'm not able to get out and ride to test the reset... may not be until Wed now. :(

Thanks Tony. Can you, if you think of it, next time at the bike, pop the seat and note the version on the back side of the PCBoard? Do you recall what your current setting is? (Good to note this for everyone here as a record of your device! ;) )

With the rain, I'm not able to get out and ride to test the reset... may not be until Wed now. :(

Will take a look and post the firmware version. I don't recall what setting I settled on, but I think it was -10.5%??? or was it -10.7%?

I too saw correction factors all over the place so it's probably best to use your own GPS to calculate it. BTW I ended up with a -10.3% for my bike, but my tires now have 7k miles so maybe with new tires it would vary slightly.

This was back in the middle of this thread. This is it if you've never changed it? :D And to verify, you are on a 16T or 17T front? Thanks Tony!

Last edited:
Speedo Healer Does this too!!!

Eric, I know we communicated some about this a few months ago. I have the Speedo Healer rather then a SpeedoDRD, but it has/causes the same symptoms on my 09. It's funny you're dealing with this again, I am too. I recently went to a 16T and readjusted my Speedo Healer from -8.0 to -13.3 and I'm having this issue again. I'm going to try -12.5, -12.6, -13.0,,, cause that aughtta still be close enough :D hopefully getting it off of the -13.0 setting will do the trick.

To bring anyone else up to speed, with stock gearing, my Healtech didn't like -7.0, or even -6.9 or -7.1. It would hesistate and feel a little jumpy, or like Eric said, it felt like I was applying the brakes. It just so happens that I also have an AEM air/fuel gauge setup and when my bike exhibits this symptom, I could tell it is from lean surging because the AEM would bounce up to over 17:1 and go off scale lean. I ended up with -8.0 which didn't cause an issue and was right at my actual speed (GPS). From this, I assume the altered speedometer signal is electrically noisey and is somehow causing interference with the EFI signals. A good grounded shield around the speedometer signal cables may help, I haven't tried it yet but it's on my to-do list. I'd like to be able to set it where I need it!

BTW: When I left the SpeedoHealer installed but set it to 0 correction, the bike ran fine It aslo ran fine with -3.0 correction, -8.0 correction, it just didn't like anything near -7.0

The wierd thing is that only a very few FZ1 owners have reported this issue, or anything like it. Why doesn't this effect every Speedo Healer / SpeedoDRD equiped FZ1?

EDIT: I went from -13.3 to -13.0 and it seems to be OK now. My trouble isn't consistent, so I'll have to do a few more miles before I'm convinced, but it ran fine last night (40 miles going home) and this morning (40 miles getting to work)

Last edited:
No rain this AM so I rode it to work. Cruising in traffic at the troubled RPM ranges with the unit reset... the bike was as smooth as it can be. Thus, I've replied to Brooks at 12 O'Clock Labs and will speak with him on the phone today regarding his possible fix. I'll share that with you all once I have the information.

I also explained that we have a member (Phil) who had the same problem but with the speedo healer. It appears that the FZ1 is just fussy about any alterations outside of the ECU. ;) More later....

Ok, I just got off the phone with Brooks. Very cool guy! They are going to swap out my unit and they are paying all shipping. Here is why as he explained it.

The ECU is (possibly) having an issue with the frequency delay of this version of the unit. ver. 3.1x has a 33 -34ms delay. The units with ver. 3.46 or higher all have a lower frequency value of 20 ms and improved smoothing algorithms. He has experienced this issue with other bikes with certain ECU firmware versions but not an FZ1 until now. Since other members do not have this issue, it is either because they have the newer firmware or the ECU flash is more tolerant of the delay.

He's sending me a shipping label and when that label registers in the USPS, the new unit is shipped to me. I should have it early next week if I mail mine tomorrow.

I must say that I've never seen this level of customer service before. He didn't ask when I bought it or where from. Doesn't care, only cares that I get a working unit.

If the new one doesn't resolve it, he has a way to connect it close to the cluster and outside of the ECU's "reach" but I think that will involve a soldering iron? Dunno!

Top notch business guys! :yes:

The 3.1x unit is now out and it will be in the mail tomorrow. I also re-routed my ground wire for the heated grips and power outlet. I'd forgotten about my temporary placement until I lifted the tank. :eek5:

I'll report back on the new one once it is installed. If any of you have the chance, Brooks is curious to know what version of the SpeedoDRD is working and on what model year FZ1. Please post here if you have the chance to pop the seat and see the version. It is either on a sticker or printed on the back of the small PCBoard opposite side of the button. Much appreciated by myself and 12 O'Clock Labs! :tup:

Headed out to install the 3.60M that arrived a couple days ago. I might even get a ride in so long as the rain stays away! Also going to check for error codes and make sure the TPS is still set for 18. ;)

12oclockLabs gets a 110% rating from me! Awesome company to do business with. How many places stand behind their product without even asking where/when you bought it? Brooks is Da Man!

Mine is a 3.6 and I've had it on the bike with my 16 tooth front sprocket and stock rear sprocket for somewhere around 1,500 miles or so. Just got the bike a few weeks ago and have had zero problems with it including with the speedoDRD. A neat feature of it that I didn't see mentioned in this thread yet it that it records the highest speed you might happen to reach while riding so that you can play it back later on your speedometer.

I've only gotten to ride it once as it has been raining. So, going to work and set at -6.8%, the bike felt like it was slightly convulsing. I reset it for the ride home and the bike ran smooth. Something about my ECU flash does NOT like the timing frequency of the SpeedoDRD! I'm going to contact Brooks again and see what they say about how to connect it at the cluster. It must involve some wire cutting/splicing/soldering.... Ugh!

I've only gotten to ride it once as it has been raining. So, going to work and set at -6.8%, the bike felt like it was slightly convulsing. I reset it for the ride home and the bike ran smooth. Something about my ECU flash does NOT like the timing frequency of the SpeedoDRD! I'm going to contact Brooks again and see what they say about how to connect it at the cluster. It must involve some wire cutting/splicing/soldering.... Ugh!
Bummer!!!!

On 12oCLockLabs web-shop I see the FZ1 without ABS is covered. Has anyone tried it on a ABS model? And does it fix km/t in speed and km on the odo?

/AGM

Headed out to install the 3.60M that arrived a couple days ago. I might even get a ride in so long as the rain stays away! Also going to check for error codes and make sure the TPS is still set for 18. ;)

12oclockLabs gets a 110% rating from me! Awesome company to do business with. How many places stand behind their product without even asking where/when you bought it? Brooks is Da Man!

I'm intently watching this thread. Interested to see what you come up with Eric. If I were a betting man, I'd BET that mine and your bikes have a very close manufacturing date and ECU code, hence the similar problem with two different speedo calibrators.

On 12oCLockLabs web-shop I see the FZ1 without ABS is covered. Has anyone tried it on a ABS model? And does it fix km/t in speed and km on the odo?

/AGM

The best thing to do is to email them from their web page. They are extremely helpful and very quick to respond so you should have an answer quickly.

@Phil, I will let you knowwhat they have to say but I believe that you are correct. Our two 2009 bikes are likely running the same ECU flash and have a very low tolerance for the change in incoming frequency regarding the RPMs and speed. The later unit cuts that timing almost in half and is supposed to smooth the response however it seems the ECU is still just that sensitive. How do I find info from the ECU regarding the flash/version etc? Are their numbers printed on it that will tell me?

Back