Solo Trip in September to Albuquerque, NM

Ready to Hit the Road

I have everything loaded and ready to hit the road in the morning. I plan to head out around 5:00 AM. Starting the trip with 10200 miles on the ODO.

11951d1346624710-solo-trip-september-albuquerque-nm-dsc04167.jpg

11953d1346624710-solo-trip-september-albuquerque-nm-dsc04176.jpg

11954d1346624710-solo-trip-september-albuquerque-nm-dsc04177.jpg

While I do not have CHL yet I am allowed by law in both Texas and New Mexico to Travel with a loaded weapon in the vehicle (motorcycles included) as long as it is not "readily accessible". More than anything I wanted this at night while by myself in cheap motels. Especially in Southerbn New Mexico. I am keeping my LCP under the seat cowl.
11952d1346624710-solo-trip-september-albuquerque-nm-dsc04174.jpg

I will have breakfast in Austin, Texas at the Waterloo Bar and Grill at 360 & 2222 between 7:30 - 8:00 am if anyone can join me.

Last edited:
Glad you made that breakfast there Brad. I go by there often. I was on baby duty :) I will have to get away the next time you come by!

Just about to hit the road. Only 200 miles today but it will prove to be the most boring of my trip. There are a few farm and market roads that run parallel to I-10. They are straight so the only real benefit is staying of of interstate traffic for at least a portion of my ride.

View attachment 11982

Sent from my iPhone

Last edited:
Probably Big Bend is too far out of your way? I absolutely love that place. I know it would take more time. Also, you might have concerns about getting gas..........I know there is 1 station inside the park 35-40 miles or so..........and you could fill up southwest of Ft Stockton at Marathon (1 station too as I remember!)....Then you could swing down 385 and through to 118 (another station) and back through Alpine, hit the FT DAvis mountains [GREAT roads] on your way back towards I-10. Just a thought...

Safe travels man!

Last edited:
Was just lookinh at the maps. This is now on my route. Thank you! 82 to 54 and 70 back to Roswell. I might just take 70 back to ABQ.

I don’t think you’ll be disappointed! (That is a big, long, loop if you go Artesia, Cloud Croft, 54, 70 through Ruidoso and 380/70 back to Roswell! ) But as “thepopularjock” pointed-out – Ruidoso / Inn of the Mountain Gods is gorgeous too!

Since you’re planning to go through Cloud Croft – if you need a bite there, Big Daddy’s has pretty-good grub! It’s on the left (on 82) just before you get into town.

darth5oh-albums-06-fz1-picture3165-bigdaddy.jpg

Sitting here @ work, I think I’m getting jealous! Ride safe!

EDIT/P.S.: If I’m out-of-line posting pics on YOUR RIDE thread – I apologize!

Last edited:
Knowing that Fort Stockton was a short 201 miles away and that was all the driving I HAD to do I decided to take a detour and north west to the Fort McKavett State Historical Site.

This is the hospital area and it's breezway.
View attachment 11993

View attachment 11994

This is one of the old barrack ruins and then one of the new rebuilt ones with an old canon out front.
View attachment 11995

View attachment 11996

...and finally the school house.
View attachment 11999

Is this bad luck to have cross your path? Found this critter by the quarry where the men used to get limestone for their buildings.
View attachment 11997

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
If your going to go though artesia to cloudcroft to roswell take 82 west to 130 just outside mayhill to cloudcroft get fuel then head east to big daddys dinner.Take 244 to 70 then north east to ruidoso then 70 east to roswell.

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=...5A&oq=rui&t=h&mra=dme&mrsp=3&sz=14&via=1&z=11

This is my loop just about every time im up there.
It has been raining in the area so I would watch some of the turns for trash.

Last edited:
Back