Solo Trip in September to Albuquerque, NM

I get a week more vacation than my wife. This year I plan to head west on a solo motorcycle trip to visit my dad in Albuquerque, NM.

9/3 - Austin, Fredericksburg and Junction – 280 miles
9/4 - All the way to Fort Stockton – 199 miles
9/5 – On to play in Carlsbad & Dark Places – 139 miles
9/5 – On to Roswell & Aliens - 76 miles
9/6 - On to Albuquerque – 201 miles
9/7 - Rest in ABQ – Zero Miles
9/8 – Do Jemez Mountains, Bandelier, Los Alamos, Taos & Santa Fe – ~350miles
9/9 – Rest ABQ – Zero Miles
9/10 – On to Lubbock – 322 miles
9/11 – On to Brownwood - 235 miles
9/12 - On to Tomball - 265 miles

I am actually consdiering going all the way to Ft. Stockton on day one.

Hopeing Brohay(Adam) can go for a ride throguh the Jemez with me. I am also hopeing that ThePopularJock(Carl) can at least meet for some grub while I am in Brownwood on my way back.

Last edited:
the road up to los alamos is very pretty. also, if you get a chance to ride up to the santa fe recreation area and/or ski bowl, the road is also very fun and has good views, or head out to pecos and ride up to the end of 63. upper canyon road and 475/hyde park rd out of santa fe is gorgeous.

there's literally hundreds of miles of AWESOME roads throughout new mexico (i lived a few years down there and road a ton of em)

Last edited:
Cool! Consider a slight detour/route change: left on 82 out of Artesia for awsome elevation/scenery changes through Lincoln Natl. Forest to Cloud Croft, and then drop back down towards White Sands/Alamogordo and head north on 54 (then on however to Albuquerque.) I rode with a buddy (my first FZ1 trip) to Carlsbad, and then we did a day-ride to White Sands and back (through Cloud Croft) - it was awesome...

Wish I could go - my brother is in Albuquerque! Good luck and have fun!

darth5oh-albums-06-fz1-picture3043-whitesands.jpg

You might want to make sure the caverns are open they were closed last time I herd.
They are remodeling the elevator shafts
From roswell to abq its alot nicer if you go though lincon area its alittle longer but its worth it.

get you to come North and run 64 to Taos and surrounding area. Keep me posted and if I can get everything sorted by that time, I'll be more than happy to run with ya and possibly even divert....

Adam

get you to come North and run 64 to Taos and surrounding area. Keep me posted and if I can get everything sorted by that time, I'll be more than happy to run with ya and possibly even divert....

Adam

I could definite head north. I will keep you posted.

Sent from my iPhone

Brad:
My son-in-law planned an over-ambitious group ride that attempted to go from Houston to Los Angeles in 2 days. We rode from Houston to Las Cruces, NM in one day: 790 miles. Not recommended. We were so wiped out that we only made it to Phoenix the next day and then LA the next.

Sounds like your trip is well planned. Enjoy !!!!

I get a week more vacation than my wife. This year I plan to head west on a solo motorcycle trip to visit my dad in Albuquerque, NM.

9/3 - Austin and Fredericksburg – 218 miles
9/4 - All the way to Fort Stockton – 260 miles
9/5 – On to play in Carlsbad & Dark Places – 139 miles
9/5 – On to Roswell & Aliens - 76 miles
9/6 - On to Albuquerque – 201 miles
9/7 - Rest in ABQ – Zero Miles
9/8 – Do Jemez Pueblo, Bandelier, Los Alamos & Santa Fe – 215 miles
9/9 – Rest ABQ – Zero Miles
9/10 – On to Lubbock – 322 miles
9/11 – On to Brownwood - 235 miles
9/12 - On to Tomball - 265 miles

I am actually consdiering going all the way to Ft. Stockton on day one.

Hopeing Brohay(Adam) can go for a ride throguh the Jemez with me. I am also hopeing that ThePopularJock(Carl) can at least meet for some grub while I am in Brownwood on my way back.

Hey bud - sorry about the delayed response. I tried to answer you but I used my cell phone and I guess I didn't do it correctly. :doh2:
I would love to meet up. How about we grab some lunch (or whatever meal you come in).
Unfortunately 9/11 is going to be right in the middle of my 7 day work cycle. Still - I would love to grab a bite to eat with you and catch up. If I wasn't working I would ride with you a little ways down the road.
Solo trips are awesome. I think that you are going to have a blast. Just curious (because I had an event happen a while back) are you using any kind of app where your wife can follow your progress along your route? I would like something like that. When I went to pick up my DRZ I got pretty sick and of course my phone died. When I didn't check in until late that morning .......... Let's just say it didn't go well. LOL Just wondering if you are using anything like that on this trip?

Hey bud - sorry about the delayed response. I tried to answer you but I used my cell phone and I guess I didn't do it correctly. :doh2:
I would love to meet up. How about we grab some lunch (or whatever meal you come in).
Unfortunately 9/11 is going to be right in the middle of my 7 day work cycle. Still - I would love to grab a bite to eat with you and catch up. If I wasn't working I would ride with you a little ways down the road.
Solo trips are awesome. I think that you are going to have a blast. Just curious (because I had an event happen a while back) are you using any kind of app where your wife can follow your progress along your route? I would like something like that. When I went to pick up my DRZ I got pretty sick and of course my phone died. When I didn't check in until late that morning .......... Let's just say it didn't go well. LOL Just wondering if you are using anything like that on this trip?

I will give you a call a day or two ahead of time to give you a better idea what time I will be in.

Cool! Consider a slight detour/route change: left on 82 out of Artesia for awsome elevation/scenery changes through Lincoln Natl. Forest to Cloud Croft, and then drop back down towards White Sands/Alamogordo and head north on 54 (then on however to Albuquerque.) I rode with a buddy (my first FZ1 trip) to Carlsbad, and then we did a day-ride to White Sands and back (through Cloud Croft) - it was awesome...

Wish I could go - my brother is in Albuquerque! Good luck and have fun!

darth5oh-albums-06-fz1-picture3043-whitesands.jpg

Was just lookinh at the maps. This is now on my route. Thank you! 82 to 54 and 70 back to Roswell. I might just take 70 back to ABQ.

Cloud Croft is beautiful and I remember the steep roads from when I was a kid and we would drive over to Ruidoso, New Mexico. I bet that will be one of the best parts of the ride.
Stay at The Inn of the Mountain Gods if you get a chance. It's pretty nice (or was years ago). My stepbrother and his friends all get together once a year and stay there - play golf on their course.

Last edited:
Back