SCORE!! FZ's new roommate

I dont know who's more anal about thebikes me or JOTR,when we went to the gap for 3 days we used 2 cans of detail spray.I just ordered a new Avon Storm ultra 2 back tire,I have a good Ultra front here,picked up new front brakes and spark plugs today.Getting front tire mounted and fork seals in tommorrow.progress is quick cause I wanna ride the BEEOTCH!!

last nite I decided to make a homebrew fender kit and put the dremel to work and eliminated all the extra plastic that hung below the body line in the rear.also pulled whole tail and scrubbed it up inside and out.got the one fork apart only to discover that the fork seal,circlip and washer were not there plus the prior owner gouged the slider and area where the seal seats I'm guessing while digging it out with a jackhammer! i will address that issue today with copious amounts of emory cloth.The bike really purrs with the new plugs in,very satisfied with how she runs.I cant wait to ride her maybe today??????

last nite I decided to make a homebrew fender kit and put the dremel to work and eliminated all the extra plastic that hung below the body line in the rear.also pulled whole tail and scrubbed it up inside and out.got the one fork apart only to discover that the fork seal,circlip and washer were not there plus the prior owner gouged the slider and area where the seal seats I'm guessing while digging it out with a jackhammer! i will address that issue today with copious amounts of emory cloth.The bike really purrs with the new plugs in,very satisfied with how she runs.I cant wait to ride her maybe today??????

Well if you can't get those forks to seal properly these look very affordable:

88 90 KAWASAKI ZX10 ZX10R NINJA PAIR FORK SET STRAIGHT! | eBay

my forks are no good.thanks for the link Tony,I found aset down in philly plus they have all the other parts I need.They want 250 for the forks. decisions.decisions

my forks are no good.thanks for the link Tony,I found aset down in philly plus they have all the other parts I need.They want 250 for the forks. decisions.decisions

Well that's a big difference in price. Buy the eBay ones. You should have them in time to wrench on the bike next weekend...what's another week of :waiting:

I couldnt help myself got the new front tire on Avon Storm Ultra 2 and I filled the one good fork leg with oil actuall Dexron 3 tranny fluid which my local small shop guy uses in all the forks he works on,2.46 a quart works for me and off I went put 36 miles o n her and she purrs like a kitten,quick jaunt up to 100 but steady cruise at 80 down the hiway.Hey Tony since you are a pro at finding stuff see if you can find a smoked windshield for me I have been having no luck finding one.I did send the guy a message about the forks just waiting to hear back.

I couldnt help myself got the new front tire on Avon Storm Ultra 2 and I filled the one good fork leg with oil actuall Dexron 3 tranny fluid which my local small shop guy uses in all the forks he works on,2.46 a quart works for me and off I went put 36 miles o n her and she purrs like a kitten,quick jaunt up to 100 but steady cruise at 80 down the hiway.Hey Tony since you are a pro at finding stuff see if you can find a smoked windshield for me I have been having no luck finding one.I did send the guy a message about the forks just waiting to hear back.

I will try, but those haven't been made in so long that it would be very difficult to find one. Maybe there's one sitting around on some dusty shelf...

The more I see threads of guys buying old bikes and fixing them up the more I want to own a second bike to be a project bike.

And I have only owned my first bike for 2 months now.....

The more I see threads of guys buying old bikes and fixing them up the more I want to own a second bike to be a project bike.

And I have only owned my first bike for 2 months now.....

Come on up to Calgary, I have a sweet little project bike just itching to spend some time in sunny CA.

Jasper2003.jpg

FZtimes2.jpg

I have ridden the bike about 100 miles and she is strong but no fz. handling is lethargic with no real adjustability,hydraulic clutch sucks.My new rear tire showed up today and JOTR gave me the bright idea of cutting the old one off and amazingly i got the new tire on with no tire irons but I saved 23 bucks.I got a set of forks on the way and a new right handlebar on the way.I will call and order the fender,turn signal and mirror tommorrowI think the ZX will make a fine sport tourer butt a really crappy track bike got me thinking maybe i should make the FZ naked anyways heres some more pics View attachment 7605

View attachment 7606

View attachment 7607

View attachment 7608

I have ridden the bike about 100 miles and she is strong but no fz. handling is lethargic with no real adjustability,hydraulic clutch sucks.My new rear tire showed up today and JOTR gave me the bright idea of cutting the old one off and amazingly i got the new tire on with no tire irons but I saved 23 bucks.I got a set of forks on the way and a new right handlebar on the way.I will call and order the fender,turn signal and mirror tommorrowI think the ZX will make a fine sport tourer butt a really crappy track bike got me thinking maybe i should make the FZ naked anyways heres some more pics View attachment 7605

View attachment 7606

View attachment 7607

View attachment 7608

Your FZ is so nice looking it would be a shame to rip it apart. As for your hydraulic clutch, have you changed the fluid and bled it? I love the Hydraulic clutch on my KTM, but the fluid needs changing fairly often. Yours might need new "O" rings as well.

I have not bled the clutch out yet.Johnny is supposed to be comin out this week with his carb stix,mityvac and buffer so we can really get her dialed in.The bike did pull a different trick yesterday,went to start it hit the button and nothing.lights and everything were all up so i will be checking for loose cables and pulling the switch apart to see if there is anything loose or corroded. I did have to beat the hell out of the bar ends with the impact driver to get them off so maybe something got knocked loose or my other thought is maybe the battery has a bad cell since it was bone dry when I got the bike and sat for 1 1/2 years I am shocked it took a charge at all

View attachment 7696

View attachment 7697

View attachment 7698

View attachment 7699more progress on the Ninja as all my parts showed up.today was spent pulling the old gouged and battered forks and replacinging them with my ebay forks the new forks were in excellent shape in fact the seals looked good and were not leaking but I had new ones here so i went ahead and torn em down cleaned them out good and reassembled all nice and new looking I was just getting ready to take her for a test ride when the rain came down so i will have to wait till tommorrow while I was in the front end i adjusted the steering head bearings a bit couple more pics

Looking good! Glad to hear those eBay forks were in nice shape :)

I found a pair that were slightly more expensive than the ones you found at 130 shipped but other than some very minor rash at the very bottom of the fork they were absolutly perfect.I did a quick sand,mask and some semi gloss and clear coat touch you cant even tell.Hopefully this will cure the front end shake at 100 mph

well I got the front end all done yesterday using a chisel to install the fork seals cause thats how I roll.I got to take her out and put her through the paces.power delivery is very smooth,ride is cushy actually throws into a turn quite easily in spite of its weight and length I quickly scrubbed off any chicken strips! If i keep the bike i will definetly be upgrading the suspension and going to braided stainless brake lines.I put 110 miles on it made me want for the comfort and handling of the Fz which also has 3" more legroom and you are not bent way over the tank.I am 6'1 and a shorter person on the Ninja may not be liking the reach to the bars.I was hoping to go get her inspected today but the weather doesnt look like it wants to cooperate again. I'll get some more pics up today of her in basically ready for winter trim.

Back