RZ 350 Kenny Roberts Edition

Thanks for those vids Troy !! Sweeeeeeeet !!
And, I'm with you pal. . . . I have said it before, and I will repeat myself again , , , I LOVE the Yelow and Black (baby bumblebee !!!) The gorgeous '06 R1 I recently owned was also in the 25th Anniversary Edition Yellow/Black and I would often just sit and stare at it. It was a work of ART in my eyes. Just to relax and enjoy the shear beauty of such an engineering marvel.

I know you are busy with work and family, but when you get the chance to come over, just come on !! The door is open. Just call me when you get free for an afternoon and we'll kick-back and relax and talk about YAMAHA'S and motorcycles, and, and, , ,, !! heh,heh
:cheers:

I have an '84 RZ350 I bought new - my last job as a mechanic was servicing my RZ350. Mine is the Red and White version.

I've been thru this several times with the carbs on mine - the stock main and pilot jets are brass. Modern gas makes the brass grow a green fuzzy looking material that is soft at first and gets harder and harder with time - I guess its some kind of corrosion. No stabilizer I have tried keeps it from happening and I've tried several, but the solution is easy - just ride it every week or so!

Mains are easy - I replaced mine with a set of nylon jets and that was the end of them plugging. Prob is the pilots - are not removable in this carb and much harder to clean. I soaked mine in carb cleaner the last time for several days and that helped. Also bought the closest, but smaller, number or letter drill (forget which) and used that once soaking got it some what softened up.

Mine has always cranked right up with clean carbs. Its always been the kind that if it doesn't crank in 2 or 3 kicks, something's wrong.

Thanks Duster !! That's great information that will come in handy for me. One who kow's very little about these amazing little rockets . . . . 8^0)

How dare you buy that bike! How dare you tempt me into getting one for myself because your photos are so enticing? How dare you show off such a beautiful bucket of fun for us to drool over?

Thanks for posting ;)

That thing is a beauty

RZ350 clean up started

Today I got started on some of the disassembly and cleanup of the ole girl. While I was in the shop working, a HUGE thunderstorm blew in and dumped so much rain and so many hail stones I had to stop working and sweep the water (and the marble sized stones) out of the shop! I was watching it rain with the overhead door up, enjoying the warm breeze and gentle shower when POW !! Down it came in buckets. Thankfully we didn't get the damaging winds and lightning.

:beer:

The first pic is before I removed anything. She is seen here in her new 'place' of prominence there among her friends, under the lights.
I began at the back on the tail section. I removed the tail cowl for cleaning. Removing the rust from the shiny parts took some extra time. The chrome rail was dull and pitted, but she shined up with some elbow grease and a dab of 3M cleaner on a soft rag. Kerosene made short work of the typical 2-stroke grease and grime that was caked underneath the cowl, the chain gard, and the shift linkage.

As I get into the interior the of the bike I can see that it is actually in relatively good (clean) condition and this won't be as bad of a job as what Billy got into with his YZF. . . . In fact, the wheels actually look pretty darn good and I haven't done any rubbing or brushing on them yet. I did spend five bucks and run her through the car wash Wednesday on the way home.

Getting it running will be more problem-matic for me I imagine . . .. stay tuned !!

RZ350 cleanup cont.

Here are some more pics. Note the HAIL !! Do you see that HAIL? I mean, (do you see that) Brad? heh,heh, :woot:

The last pic is where the water ran in. We got some RAIN today . .

Wow Gary she's cleaning up real well. That thing is going to look great when you're done.

Haven't seen hail like that around these parts for years. We normally just get rain (or snow) around here.

I just hope and pray that all our members and their families from the Midwest and down South are all okay after the rash of severe tornados and storms that blew through. Southern Indy, Tennessee, Alabama all got hit with huge tornados today. One town in Indiana was wiped from the map according to it's Mayor. What a shame. Maybe our people from those areas could "check-in" and let us know that they are okay.

OK. . . .. I'll bite . . . .:smokin2: WHAT else followed you home ? Mmmhhh ?
Inquiring minds want to know ,, , , :eek5:

LOL
I had a 1976 Harley Sportster that I got burned on......Hey I was young and dumb and bought into the Harley image. I think it broke down more than all vehicles combined. Left oil stains EVERY where I went.

1980 Ford F150 was my first cage. It was given to me when I was in high school and I practically rebuilt the engine in auto mechanics class. Turns out an engine swap probably would have been a better choice.

Then there was a Facebook girl who sat at the pharmacy and ACTUALLY followed me home. HAHAHAHA!!! I was scared that I was going to have a rabbit boiling on my stove one day. THIS IS A TRUE STORY and it's really what I was thinking of when I posted.

Last edited:
That RZ looks so much better in your garage than the V-Rod (of course I think it might look even better in my garage LOL ;) Nice replacement :tup:

I'm glad the cleaning is going well. I hope the engine repair goes smoothly. Good luck with the carbs (I want a FI 2 stroke!)

Here's what Gary will look (and sound) like later this summer...
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5h2fOr6mto]Mod Kenny Roberts Yamaha RZ 350 - 1/4 mile Fly-By - YouTube[/ame]

:wow: :cloud9: :cheerleader: :woot: :drools:

PS Norm, this is what you need instead of the CBR 250...

Thanks Troy , , , , Watching that video is awesome. . . I am going out after I get back from Linton (and the coffee and donuts), set on the RZ, and make high-pitched, super-screaming 2-stroke sounds, until my voice gives out .. . . ughh, , ,:woot:

Vrod

VROD ?? What VROD ?? :justkidding: of course. I don't even miss the VR. It was OK. Just wasn't a great fit for me. I need high RPM, type speed . . . like you guys, I'm addicted to mods, YAMAHA'S, and friends like you! :woot:

My FZR400 is getting jealous of all this attention. I wonder how these two bikes would do head to head? Now that would be fun...

View attachment 9091

Now, , , Utah, that is a great question ! But, your FZR is gorgeous and should not be jealous . . . In fact, it looks simply fanatastic and probably goes like lightning . .!

Now--To the RACE:

As far as head to head, , , are we talking about a standing start 1/4 mile?
Or, a flat out 2 mile run?
Perhap's a timed run through the curves of the 'Tail of the Dragon'. Once each direction on US129 should do it . . .. I would be all tired out by then?! Of course, the "loser" buys the winner a 'survived the DRAGON' tee-shirt.

Are we talking about title for title ? Or, ,, , bragging rights. . . .
:justkidding:

I will bet you, that either way we do it, it would be a ton of fun !! Just like the good 'ol days . . . .. .. Ahh, I can smell the Castrol tainted exhaust wafting though the air as I type this. . . . . . .:woot:

Back