RZ 350 Kenny Roberts Edition

Seeing this bike made me want to watch Kenny take his old GP bike out for a spin in 2010

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4S7wmxpQIU]KENNY ROBERTS ONBOARD CAMERA: by ONBOARDCAMERA.IT - YouTube[/ame]

WOW! Hey Lee... I'm a buddy who just creamed his pants! That is MY dream bike too!

Gary you lucky ^%#$^%$!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am so green with envy right now.... :tup: Congrats!

Wow Gary looks like you've got a killer little bike. I love RZs! Everyone is probably sick of hearing my say that over and over, but it's a fact, RZs are one of the funest bikes out there!

Clean the cards, fresh plugs and gas and she should fire right up. You may want to clean and service the power valves too. These bikes are so easy to work on. I could top end mine in an afternoon.

With a few tweeks they really fly; deck the head, chambers, reeds, match the ports and 30mm carbs. With that set up you can run with modern 600s.

Last edited:
Hi new best friend! I'll be over with a few quarts of 2-stroke oil! :blowing_kisses: :hug:

191100.jpg

BTW: Yellow and black is the best color for this bike. :drools: :Rockon:

Well I guess it's a matter of opinion, but the red and white one can look pretty sharp as well. I wouldn't mind either color :D

attachment.php

I got to ride one just like that, minus that fancy rear seat cowl. That is what the bike looked like that my best buddy traded for the 86 FZ 600. They are a scream to ride and "I love the smell of a 2 stroke in the morning!" or any other time for that matter. Back in the day when going green meant you were sick.:cowboy:

To bad that Gary doesn't live closer, I have a 5 gallon of premix in my garage that came about when Dustin and I had to drain the FZ 600's tank before putting it in his van. The only container handy was my old oil jug. It is about 4-1 gas to oil right now. Of course the RZ had oil injection with a 1L res. under the seat.

Last edited:
Gary, stretched is correct about it being cable driven off the front wheel so changing the sprockets on it doesn't affect the speedometer/odometer. Still 14k miles is very low for that bike.

And maybe I missed it, but what year is it? 84 or 85?

Correct. Cable drive to speedo. Thanks Tony. It is a 1984 model. I see today that it actually has catalitic convertors in the factory expansion chambers. I am learning more about it each day.

The PO told me he had it jetted for the K&N filters and the performance pipes installed. I am dying to hear it run !!

Hi new best friend! I'll be over with a few quarts of 2-stroke oil! :blowing_kisses: :hug:

191100.jpg

BTW: Yellow and black is the best color for this bike. :drools: :Rockon:

Now you're talkin' Troy !! Bring the 2/stroke oil, I already have the beer and pretzels, the kerosene to clean with, and I can find us plenty of soft rock music on the radio! Then, when we get 'er done . . . we can take turns blasting up and down the back roads 'till our hearts content !!

Seriously, I would be tickled to death if you can come over to visit, and take a look at the ol girl !! YOU are welcome over ANYTIME !! Ohh, don't forget the oil. . . .

Thanks

Thanks guys. I really do appreciate all the congrats.
Bogie
Eric
Pete
Scuba
Lee
and everyone !! I hope I haven't forgot to thank anyone. This has been unvelievable.

Ohh, I too love the smell of (castrol) 2-cycle exhaust in the air on race-day ! That's right up there with bacon frying in an iron skillet at 6 in the morning. . . .

What do you need to do to get it running?

Good question Johnny. The carbs are stuck or froze. The control cables are stuck. The battery is shot (to be expected). The power valves are an unknown so far. She will get a good cleaning during the disassembly of course and I should know more on her internal condition this weekend.

The engine is so small (looking) and, so easy to get to, when compared to the FZ1. I do know I am going to need a couple of gallons of kerosene. The chain and sprockets look awful btw. I will probably just replace it, rather than clean it. Where's Billy when you need him?? heh,heh jk. :icon_beer:

There are two smells in this world that instantly transport me to a different time and place.

1) The interior of a military tank. I spent a number of year in M60A3's and several versions of the M1s. The smell of hot hydraulic fluid, burned cordite residue, and that funky pale green military paint is like no other. Instant woody! "Let's go kill some T72s!"

2) The smell of burned bean oil and race fuel in the morning. When the pits fires up the bikes before first practice and the 2T guys are revs the motors to get the warm. The sound and smell is intoxicating. I love.

It's funny, at track days when I get behind a bike on race fuel I just want to sit there and smell the exhaust. It's like no other.

Back to work...

:wow: Looks like such a sweet bike. Congrats on the purchase. Now that I'm at a real keyboard instead of my phone, and can tell you how happy I am for you. I love the FZ1, but I don't care what exhaust is on it, I don't care how rumbbly any cruiser is, there is nothing that grabs my ear, heart and mind like the sound of a 2-stroke. But it's the whole experience of sound, smell and sight of blue smoke rolling out (keeping any mosquitos away from you) as you accelerate away... Environment be damned! LOL

Here's a few teasers of what will be... :hook2:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2u-7CmF7ek]1984 RZ 350 Yamaha - YouTube[/ame]
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lL3vcMY-VlQ]RZ350 - YouTube[/ame]

PS I have nothing against the red and white RZ350s, but I just prefer the yellow and black. :Rockon:

Back