Romania 2013 DenArnold

As many know, my Romania travel plans last September had to be cancelled due to a mishap on the track. But all healed up now and I've been able to get everything refunded and have therefore rebooked the planned Romania trip.

We'll be heading out on Saturday may 18th flight to Bucarest, and we'll travel troughout the Karpatian mountains back to arrive at Bukarest Saturday May 25th. Return flight Sunday 26th. We've got the famous Transfaragasan twice in the planning, so depending weather conditions we can (hope) take this mountain road twice :)

We'll drop off the bikes and luggage the week prior to take off, as the bikes will be hauled from Belgium to Bucarest...

I'm ensuring enough memory cards with me and/or my dropbox account is working to capture lots of video's and pictures...

You are going to love Romania!

I was there during the summer of '05 with the US Army. We had a joint month long exercise with the Romanian Scorpion Infantry Battalion. The training was capped off with a "Texas Style BBQ!" Good times were had by all.

While we were there we help repair schools, hospitals, etc. I met an old woman who gave us "hooch" and said her parents told her (at the end of WW2) that the Americans would come one day, she was in tears.

Several members of my unit stayed on after the exercise, brought their families over and were put up the some of the Romanian Officers. They had a great time.

I've got Romania on my list of place to travel back too.

Have fun and take LOTS of photos!

Watch out for Gypsy pick pockets and kids who will boldly grab your money from an ATM.

guess you missed the politically correctness classes... :)

i see more danger in horse driven vehicles on the road , drunk tractor drivers and other obstacles (cows) like that then getting your money stolen

what about fuel stations and quality of fuel/petrol? Plenty around or should I carry a 5l case?

Harta cu benzinarii Petrom

this is only one chain, biggest.. there are quite a few others

quality is good but try to tank at new stations

you don't have that many choices to go from A to B so you will always find a station in your way

another thing... TomTom doesn't cover Romania so if you have a tt rider you can live it at home it's gonna be useless.

fixed radars don't send tickets in other EU countries so don't worry about them , and 20-30 euros go a long way with cops

What a great way to spend you birthday (well close enough right?) Looking forward to seeing your pics.
Stay safe and have a great time

Last edited:
dropped the bike and gear off at the warehouse where the bike will be loaded onto a truck, together with 24 other bikes and will be hauled to Bucarest, leaving tomorrow evening.

I'm off to Romania

Today I'll be taking off from Charleroi (Brussels South) airport to Bucharest. Not sure if I'll be able to report/upload pics during my trip (pending access to computers).
Wish me luck in having good sunny weather, no reckless Romanian drivers or animals, clean roads, no speeding tickets and no spills...

Today I'll be taking off from Charleroi (Brussels South) airport to Bucharest. Not sure if I'll be able to report/upload pics during my trip (pending access to computers).
Wish me luck in having good sunny weather, no reckless Romanian drivers or animals, clean roads, no speeding tickets and no spills...

Have a super trip Arnold and keep it safe buddy!!!

Transfaragasan road closed till July 1st. Transalpina open up to 2137m. But not really an issue as several other smooth roads were travelled. Beatiful nature , large contrast.
Cows loose on the roads, stray dogs everywhere, friendly people who wave to us even if we pass their villages at illegal speeds.

Today a nice set of roads between Piatre Neamt and Brasov. Some nice scenery roads, albeit lots of roadworks. Unfortunately our group got pulled over by National police for speeding. Tip: show police the only money you have. The fine was brought down from 700Lei to 220Lei

Back