Pyro's Twisted Texas Tour '12

Update - Adjusted map - we will meet for lunch in Lockhart on Friday, cruise up through Austin to Willow City Loop then back to Canyon Lake for dinner at Daisy Dukes.

The traffic may take more time going that way. Just so you know. I find Austin traffic on the west to be surprisingly congested at the times when I'm trying to get out that way (yes, it ain't Houston, but...). But, before 3:30 you ought to be ok hitting Bee Cave road off 360.

As for Willow City loop. You may have already been. But, my 2 cents. Spectacular views, yes. Worth it. But, the road isn't well maintained and takes time. Cattle crossings, water crossings (yes, a little trickle over narrow cement bridges. Flooded if there is rain.), live cattle--in the road, etc. And 1323 has cattle crossings and possible live cattle too. So, plan on extra time if you intend to get all the way down to Canyon Lake before dark.

I'm almost inclinded to try to join up with you guys enroute. I haven't decided when I'm going. Depends if I can get away on Friday.

Update - Adjusted map - we will meet for lunch in Lockhart on Friday, cruise up through Austin to Willow City Loop then back to Canyon Lake for dinner at Daisy Dukes.

Wow. Hey, I just noticed something on your route. I thought you would be going up to Willow City loop via 1323 off of 281. But I see you are planning to go 962 to 3347. Not sure if you have gone that way before, but....Well, 3347 is a nice road, but. The maintence ends as you head south (yes, it's renamed on the map to althous-davis rd or something...but that is the only extension of it). And there are 3 plus miles of DIRT only. !! At 15-20 mph. And water crossings. And then a crappy paved road picks up again and takes you down to meet 1323. I can tell you this because I've done that route. ONce. It's kinda weird how that happens and you would have no way of knowing by looking at the map. So, it is a no go for me on an FZ. If you are on a duel-sport, you may want it. Otherwise, I say 1323 might be a better way. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow. Hey, I just noticed something on your route. I thought you would be going up to Willow City loop via 1323 off of 281. But I see you are planning to go 962 to 3347. Not sure if you have gone that way before, but....Well, 3347 is a nice road, but. The maintence ends as you head south (yes, it's renamed on the map to althous-davis rd or something...but that is the only extension of it). And there are 3 plus miles of DIRT only. !! At 15-20 mph. And water crossings. And then a crappy paved road picks up again and takes you down to meet 1323. I can tell you this because I've done that route. ONce. It's kinda weird how that happens and you would have no way of knowing by looking at the map. So, it is a no go for me on an FZ. If you are on a duel-sport, you may want it. Otherwise, I say 1323 might be a better way. ;)

THANKS! Really appreciate the advice - don't need any dirt! We came upon some of that a couple of years back in a construction area and really don't need that 'enhancement' for the ride. I've re-routed from Lockhart to Willow City.

1.) Pyrogenic (Jeff) - will share - (Houston)
2.) Haileyan (Brad) - will share - (Houston)
3.) fz1yb (Frank) - will share
4.) ThePopularJock (Carl) - -(meeting at Canyon Lake)
5.) Pete B - - (meeting at Canyon Lake)
6.) Hector S - - (tentative) (Houston)
7.) Hellgate (Pete) - - (meet up Saturday)

Last edited:
I'll be really interested in coming down, not 100% sure what kind of time I can get off of work at the moment, but I will be able to make it there for saturday/sunday for sure. When it gets a bit closer I'll figure out if i'll maybe caravan down with you austin guys or just meet up with you all at one of the rendezvous. Sounds like a riot though!

I can make Friday night dudes and grace you with my presence. Fart sack will be in tow. I'll leave Round Rock at 5, as my micro-managing boss will freak out if I leave earlier.

Come on DELL, I am the guy you want! Get me out of here!!!!

Tour T's

Please add yourself if you would like to own the 1st commemorative ride T-shirt!

Here's who is ordering a shirt:

Hail
Hellgate
FZ1yb
Pete B.
Pyrogenic

People staying overnight Saturday on our reservation:

2.) Hail (Brad) - will share - (Houston)
4.) ThePopularJock (Carl) - will share - (meeting at Canyon Lake)
5.) Pete B - will share - (meeting at Canyon Lake)
6.) Hector S - - (tentative) (Houston)
7.) Hellgate (Pete) - will share - (meet up Saturday)

WOW!!!!
That Bear Moon Bakery looks really good.
Glad you guys found that

They open at 6 for coffee/pastry, but real breakfast starts at 8a. I figure the buffet will make it easier to get in, feed, and hit the road and the crowd should be a little less chaotic than Denny's.

There is a parking lot, but I think the street parking in front or on the side will probably work better.

If we leave the lake by 7 we should be good to go~!

They open at 6 for coffee/pastry, but real breakfast starts at 8a. I figure the buffet will make it easier to get in, feed, and hit the road and the crowd should be a little less chaotic than Denny's.

There is a parking lot, but I think the street parking in front or on the side will probably work better.

If we leave the lake by 7 we should be good to go~!

Hell yeah!!!
That sounds great!!

People staying overnight Saturday on our reservation:

2.) Hail (Brad) - will share - (Houston)
4.) ThePopularJock (Carl) - will share - (meeting at Canyon Lake)
5.) Pete B - will share - (meeting at Canyon Lake)
6.) Hellgate (Pete) - will share - (meet up Saturday)

Awesome!!!
Almost 3 times as many as last year.
Missy - I wish you would come down and ride with us. Come one down girl. I'm calling you out. Wish Patrice could come also but she lives WAY away so I understand where she is coming from.

I checked this thread on the other site and it has gone cold. No one has posted anything for about 2 weeks. Plus - several key people are down (Lickity Split, FZ1_AOAR) both had bad injuries and cannot ride. No one else has posted since Feb 25. I don't know what's up but I was hoping to get both groups together and at least get a group picture. LOL That would be very cool IMO. Plus there are some cool guys over there.

I checked this thread on the other site and it has gone cold. No one has posted anything for about 2 weeks. Plus - several key people are down (Lickity Split, FZ1_AOAR) both had bad injuries and cannot ride. No one else has posted since Feb 25. I don't know what's up but I was hoping to get both groups together and at least get a group picture. LOL That would be very cool IMO. Plus there are some cool guys over there.

...They don't have a ride T-Shirt.... LOL! :)

The time is getting closer. I think we are going to have fun.
Just for this occasion - I decided to do the R6 Rear Shock Upgrade.

140.jpg

I can't think of any better place to test it out than The Texas Hillcountry :D

Back