Power Commander V

I've found some educational video from yamaha EFI as introduction to this topíc. [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fujeAFAjb4A"]Motorcycle Fuel Injection Systems video 1 by Yamaha Motor Corp. - YouTube[/ame]

So it's not really worth the money just to have the stock bike with better fuelling. I guess if the modified maps take some fuel away, it will also improve fuel economy and throttle response.

I've attached a snap of the map DynoJet created for the stock 919. Seems to be a lot of fuel being removed. Apparently the Honda FI system also richens the bike up a great deal the higher the temperatures get
I am not saying not to do it, I just wouldn`t,I would rather have a bike running on the rich side than running too lean.Honda have been making motorcycles for a long time and I am happy to go along with their settings,especially on a stock bike.

Honda have been making motorcycles for a long time and I am happy to go along with their settings,especially on a stock bike.

I've always been on your side of that argument, having faith in the factory settings being the optimal compromise so the bike will perform perfectly in any situation and with any rider.

The more bikes I own and the more I learn, I'm starting to see that it's not always the case. The manufacturers have to jump through a lot of regulatory hoops just to get their bikes on showroom floors and sometimes I think this results in less-than-optimal settings.

I still don't really know what the truth is but I appreciate your feedback :)

I've always been on your side of that argument, having faith in the factory settings being the optimal compromise so the bike will perform perfectly in any situation and with any rider.

The more bikes I own and the more I learn, I'm starting to see that it's not always the case. The manufacturers have to jump through a lot of regulatory hoops just to get their bikes on showroom floors and sometimes I think this results in less-than-optimal settings.

I still don't really know what the truth is but I appreciate your feedback :)
In some case`s I agree especially exhaust, but I don`t see what regulatory hoops would be used in running a bike rich I would think running the bike on the lean side would tick the box on regulatory hoops more

Since we're talking Power Commander, I have considered getting a PCIII for my 919. I'm not really looking for more power but the stock 919 is apparently quite rich and the PCIII maps from DynoJet try to remedy this. People say it improves response and smoothness as well as other benefits

Is it really worth the $275 investment?

Whittlebeast? :)

PS. 919 is completely stock & will stay that way.

I have no clue how the fueling is on a 919 is set up. Looking at the DJ base map, my bet is it is fairly fat. I would not not even consider a PC3 now that the PC5 is available. MAP based tuning is that much better. The Autotune module makes true comprehensive tuning possible.

Beast

So it's not really worth the money just to have the stock bike with better fuelling. I guess if the modified maps take some fuel away, it will also improve fuel economy and throttle response.

I've attached a snap of the map DynoJet created for the stock 919. Seems to be a lot of fuel being removed. Apparently the Honda FI system also richens the bike up a great deal the higher the temperatures get

can u tell me the way u have attached the map from DynoJet site?
I also ttrying to download a map from their site just to see how it looks but i can't :eek:

I don't believe the PCV is available for the 919. With that in mind, what are your thoughts on the III?

Thanks for the feedback

When I tune, I let computer programs sort down hundreds of thousands of data points looking for patterns in the AFR maps. This data is when used to lean on the PC5 fuel maps to get a flatter and more controlled tune. A typical dyno operator simply wants to throw in some pre configured map. Do a couple dyno sweeps at idle and WOT, print a cute curve for you (the customer) to brag about, and cash your check. The key is having the ability to get to that data. The PC5 with LCD200 and Autotune, has that ability. The software I use is dirt cheep.

I simply don't have the money to pay a dyno operator the 100s of hours it takes to do this on a dyno. Trust me, I do Dyno work on race cars on occasion. It normally takes 3 of us about 6 hours to get a reasonable result and we are simply doing the WOT stuff. That is not where you spend time on the street. That is all about midrange and throttle response. In the case of Megasquirt, there are 5 distinct different versions of Acceleration enrichment logics to choose from. 3 different ways to do fueling and those can be mixed in any combination of two at a time. This stuff is simply not just a lets try this map and see how it "feels" sport. You would not believe how bad most of the free maps were on my bike once I had the ability to see under the covers.

Most of the racecars I tune have full time 100 sample per sec data loggers pulling data from the GPS and every available motor sensor plus 3 axis accelerometers at both ends of the car.

If you want to see a webpage I am putting together for just figuring out if you are getting a reasonable fueling answer, see.

www.ncs-stl.com/tuning

Lots of this testing logic was developed as I was learning to tune the FZ1.

Have fun tuning....

Beast

Keep in mind that there could be a few very well sorted base tunes for a 919. The problem is, most tunes out there are junk and how will you ever verify that the one you just blew in is good.

Just ask for who ever is posting the map, what the target AFR map was that they were aiming for. If the answer is 13 AFR across the board, at least they have a clue what you are asking. Then ask them how long did it take to develop the midrange tuning, say at 3-5% throttle. Keep in mind that every 7% change on the base map implies the stock tune was about 1 AFR wrong. So when you see a -21% or a + 21 that is about 3 AFRs wrong. Ask them how they did the trailing throttle settings. Ask them how they did AE settings. If they give you a blank look on any of these questions, run.

Beast

Last edited:
Keep in mind that there could be a few very well sorted base tunes for a 919. the problem is most tunes out there are junk and how will you ever verify that the one you just blew in is good.

Just ask for who ever is posting the map, what the target AFR map was that they were aiming for. If the answer is 13 AFR across the board, at least they have a clue what you are asking. Then ask them how long did it take to develop the midrange tuning, say at 3-5% throttle. Keep in mind that every 7% change on the base map implies the stock tune was about 1 AFR wrong. So when you see a -21% or a + 21 that is about 3 AFRs wrong. Ask them how they did the trailing throttle settings. Ask them how they did AE settings. If they give you a blank look on any of these questions, run.

Beast
Like Whittlebeast explained, it has alway`s been a big concern of mine in fitting a pc3 it would be very easy to do more harm then good by running the bike to lean, a killer of many a good motorcycle. the average biker just does not have the knowledge or equipment to tune a map and how do you know, who has or how the map`s that you down load are done

I second everything Beast said. He help me a lot with the LCD-200 and how t use it. There's no way I can imagine myself tuning a bike without this tool now. PCV, PLX MAP sensor goes together in my book. The Autotune and LCD-200 are amazing tuning tool and will recommend it to anyone who is serious about doing it.

The accuracy of tuning is sick! My Sport map was done within 1-2 weeks of moderate riding and pretty much done with my Touring map now... just need to run it and validate all the data.

Here is a webpage I have been putting together for a different site. Most of this can be done with the LCD-200 we have available to us on the Yamaha. This is the type stuff Marty is looking at on his bike.

***** geek alert ******

www.ncs-stl.com/tuning

Have fun tuning

for those u have already fitted a pc-3 or pc-v.....
let's say u have done all the mods(cat gutted,flies,slip-on,lars airbox,aftermarket air filter)....u download the map u want,u set/calibrate the throttle position sensor and everything is ok......do u have to adjust the afr target also?or this is selfsetting from the map u have download to the pc3/V?

http://www.powercommander.com/downl...orials/pcv_how_to_adjust_target_AFR_table.swf

First, those instructions are for people with a Harley with a Autotune/Wideband setup. Things are similar but a little different when you have the Autotune setup on a Yamaha.

Almost none of that applies without the Autotune/Wideband setup.

Beast

First, those instructions are for people with a Harley with a Autotune/Wideband setup. Things are similar but a little different when you have the Autotune setup on a Yamaha.

Almost none of that applies without the Autotune/Wideband setup.

Beast

so,u just do the mods,download the map u want,set the tps and run?
i'm 50-50 to make the mods....but i'm thinking over and over the lt/km might go very very high.....beast which is the latest map u have and what mods are for?
can we also have a photo of your bike?

Front3_4.JPG

If I was starting from scratch now, I would....

Junk any Yamaha 2006 ECU if present. 2010 or later preferred.
Slip on exhaust (not too loud to keep police happy)
Block off the AIS hose. Or build AIS blockoff plated if you happen to be changing the plugs at the same time.
Stock air box including filter
Tied secondary throttles
PC5 running MAP based tuning (Several of us have maps to start with)
DJ Autotune module running closed loop and feeding the LCD-200 with data logging
or
Innovate lC1 feeding a flat 13.3 AFR back to the ECU and have a digital display to give AFR at WOT

Beast

Last edited:
Back