Photographic Musings...

As the rest of us west coasters can attest to, there's a severe lack of precipitation this winter. Up in Vancouver, it means there's very little snow on the local mountains and the ski hills are primarily at 50% operation with artificial snow. There isn't a lot of snowpack which could mean a water shortage if we have another hot summer. It's not common here on the Wet Coast but it's definitely an issue. The poor people down in Oregon and California are having a proper drought with red alerts for forest fires in January and who knows what'll happen during the hot season. Scary times ahead of there's not a huge dump of snow soon...

Mt. Baker is the only local mountain with a good amount of snow and that's in Washington state. And it's a glacier.

jXjRG6ol.jpg

Last edited:
I just returned from a long weekend away on Bowen Island, BC where my gal and I spent a few days for some R&R. It was very cold and turned out to be quite rainy which made for some sloppy hiking.

The ground was full of needle ice to crunch
u6JRYGcl.jpg

Some major waterways were completely or partially frozen like this stream
kGy4bZPl.jpg

Killarney Lake was frozen over
gHA8WOSl.jpg

fgf7Nzal.jpg

h7PBcPal.jpg

This is a staircase for breeding salmon returning from the Pacific Ocean
kRhHK54l.jpg

The first day was quite cold and we had clear skies for most of the afternoon
3NZ0S68l.jpg

Eventually, we had to don our rain gear and thermals and continue trucking through the mud
o60kDuAl.jpg

We discovered a frozen waterfall that feeds straight into the ocean
d1RRzGGl.jpg

HaCk32Al.jpg

This is the west side of the island where you can (normally) get some stunning views. Unfortunately, not much today
KBmsf4ul.jpg

The rush hour commute
GT4aWQ2l.jpg

Vancouver as seen from the east edge of the island
3y2xa3ll.jpg

The view from our B&B on Monday morning
lnZLAlgl.jpg

Went out for a walk in the city in between massive storms. Snapped a couple fun shots

This little water taxi can scoot you around the bay. I liked the contrast here
edgdn3il.jpg

Outside of my girlfriend's office, waiting for her to finish up. still learning how to capture nice low light photos. Forgot the tripod! Doh
eUebR3vl.jpg

Great pics

You have a good eye Dustin. As someone who doesn't have an artistic bone in his his body I have always admired those who do. Keep it up and keep sharing!

Dustin.
Must say, your girl is a winner! Not many females would go for that. Please notice. Please appreciate. This from an older guy who has seen much - the way of life and people.

Your photos are good. I've been to Vancouver myself and loved it!
Question on photo equipment you are using. What lenses predominate? Point and shoot with variable - but if that- what variations in focal length? If not point and shoot - what lenses predominate?

I am not a SCR hardcore. Great photos can be taken with anything - even extreme cheapies. Depends on the eye behind the shutter.
You've got a pretty good eye.
Composition is everything - between ordinary - and great.

Send more!

Dustin.
Must say, your girl is a winner! Not many females would go for that. Please notice. Please appreciate. This from an older guy who has seen much - the way of life and people.

She is something special and I make sure she knows that. :)

Your photos are good. I've been to Vancouver myself and loved it!
Question on photo equipment you are using. What lenses predominate? Point and shoot with variable - but if that- what variations in focal length? If not point and shoot - what lenses predominate?

I am not a SCR hardcore. Great photos can be taken with anything - even extreme cheapies. Depends on the eye behind the shutter.
You've got a pretty good eye.
Composition is everything - between ordinary - and great.

Send more!

I'm using a P&S, the PowerShot SX280 HS. My adjustments vary depending on the situation but mostly I just leave it in full auto unless I'm not happy with the result; then I'll set shutter priority or aperture priority and play around with exposure values. The full auto mode is really quite intelligent now and more often than not will do the job. It's certainly a stark improvement from the last time I had a digital camera, years ago. Full auto back then was pretty dismal

To celebrate my girlfriend being awarded permanent residency for Canada yesterday, we went to a junior hockey game. I got a few fun shots to share.

I have to say, sports photography is hard. I'm getting practice in for MotoGP in April!

kY8EuQpl.jpg

Z6ewbGal.jpg

9SqOw6Ml.jpg

4mCMq2tl.jpg

ZL8Ddlal.jpg

Last edited:
Good action shot. I need to go see a hockey game.. Congrats to the GF to.

Edit : OMG I just found this thread, I looke at things from the back to the front ? and I see you sold the ( FZ600S ) So sad we didn't hook up with old bikes for pictures and chat. Last year for me was outa kitty whampass. I under stand it tho, I have 3 bikes to use my self. Like the thread Man.

Last edited:
Haven't updated this thread much because all my photos have been in my trip report thread. Yesterday I went for a rainy walk around the University of British Columbia's many beaches. Some are sandy, some are rocky and some are clothing-optional :)

All dry and smiles now but just wait until we finish our 4.5 hour walk
v4qikpbl.jpg

Lift up a rock along the sandy sections of the beach and you're sure to find crabs. I don't think he's too impressed
Sq7Tarxl.jpg

A very Canadian sign
AmGgl2pl.jpg

I caught a heron grabbing his lunch
3alOnr8l.jpg

He decided to take it to go
CHk4B8Pl.jpg

A kelp-lined shore with a great view of West Vancouver
vXALIh1l.jpg

I live in gun & motorcycle friendly Florida.

Attachments

• Hutchinson Island.jpg
    Hutchinson Island.jpg
    208.2 KB · Views: 74
  • Cocoa Beach.jpg
    Cocoa Beach.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 60
  • Anne's Beach FL Keys.jpg
    Anne's Beach FL Keys.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 62
  • Stuart.jpg
    Stuart.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 59
Visited the local driving centre that was hosting a trackday today. Some friends of mine were there and I said I'd come down and say hi. I'm fighting a cold today but I did snap a few photos before going home to relax and watch MotoGP qualifying

INYPhZfl.jpg

xXtvDfYl.jpg

4R1WuTyl.jpg

B4m1RA5l.jpg

Went for a short hike today at a local marsh

zy2Byvel.jpg

I saw the back end of a baby black bear but was too slow with the camera to get a shot. Shame. I didn't stick around to wait for another photo op

First two-up ride today! The girl and I took the lovely Sea to Sky highway up to Whistler, BC, the hub of the 2010 Winter Olympics. She had never been to Whistler Village before today and I have barely spent time there myself so it was a fun place to explore.

Ready to rock!
LfCJcL3l.jpg

Stopped at an overlook for a photo op
bz93TD6l.jpg

pYQa4nal.jpg

Whistler Village Olympic Plaza
ELGAkK3l.jpg

The usual
F6B8fJ8l.jpg

Tantalus Lookout
63vZDxnl.jpg

MI6wEvFl.jpg

Porteau Cove - This is an excellent stargazing spot just outside the city.
3Z6IK88l.jpg

HpxjG9Ml.jpg

This week, Sandra had two friends from Germany visiting Vancouver for the first time. I rented a car and took them around to see the sights. The weather wasn't perfect but we took them a ways up north to hike a great trail through the mountains up to Garibaldi Lake which is formed below a glacier. It was a 20 km hike and we really enjoyed it

Photo of Vancouver from the Cypress mountain look out
PXQ9qLYl.jpg

One of many lovely streams along the trail
QLhE4j4l.jpg

Caught sight of a landslide. Pretty harrowing to imagine a mass of land that can just vanish like that.
M0B2xNVl.jpg

There was so many little critters out and about! No bears, sadly (or thankfully)
5s8hhwbl.jpg

The snow was still piled up along the trails. Spring is only just starting at this elevation
jxMNAUdl.jpg

Couple photo. Cheesy
PS7Rdsnl.jpg

The infamous Black Tusk. One of our Australian members asked about it so here it is! I think it was Blanchy!
uYz8yjSl.jpg

Creek crossing
W0NcE1hl.jpg

Made it to Garibaldi Lake. Lots of snow up here and the glacier was pretty big! Lovely lake
xvaWlN3l.jpg

I'm quite pleased with this shot
V6ajB8hl.jpg

Lunch break at the lake. Most of the trail across the lake was covered in snow and we were about finished with falling into knee-deep holes of soft snow
lBAb8tgl.jpg

Beauty shot of the local birds. They are exceedingly friendly up there
KWLC7WVl.jpg

Maybe it's because the hikers feed them all the time :)
8taSaDwl.jpg

A couple long exposures of the lovely streams along the trail
DafekWVl.jpg

NPzsEbMl.jpg

Last edited:
Back