Photographic Musings...

Found another cliché sunset photograph on the camera that I missed the first time around

SHWi7uHl.jpg

I hope Tapatalk doesn't compress it too much

Last edited:
I said goodbye to the FZ600S yesterday. For those of you that don't know, I bought this bike from Lee (Oldschool) nearly two years ago. It was in beautiful shape but needed some TLC to get it back in working order. I borrowed a car, borrowed a trailer and borrowed a friend and we drove the 2000 km round trip non-stop in the dead of winter to get the bike. We hit a lot of snow and got turned around in a blizzard at one point but I took the bike home and gave it love and attention. Lee took excellent care of the bike and I got it up and running in no time.

At this point in my life, having 3 bikes just isn't in the cards for me. I've got some ambitious plans for 2014 and it was time to find a new owner. I sold the bike yesterday to a very nice retired paramedic. He wanted a nice old bike he could put collector insurance on and take around with his fellow fire/police/ambulance riders. Perfect fit for him.

I'm really pleased that I got the opportunity to own such a beautiful survivor and a piece of motorcycling history.

yRSdP5Rl.jpg

Wow! I remember that trip! Sorry to see it go but hopefully the next owner will get as much enjoyment as you did.

Cool looking bike, that FZ600S. Older sports bikes just have something about them that I like - it's like and instant 'cool' factor. Maybe it's because I grew up in the '80s ...

It's been a good week for bike sales! Just a couple days ago, my friend's GSX-R 750 went to a new owner. I brought this bike from up north and gave it some love on his behalf.

R1WBJ3ul.jpg

There was also lovely Christmas party with happy presents and FOOD!

Fi4Ssppl.jpg

A9bEJBil.jpg

EY7qGXrl.jpg

I worked two stat holidays this week which means more cash into my travel budget! Woohoo! I also may have found an interesting trade for the C3. Stay tuned :D

Last edited:
The girl and I went out for a walk on the dykes around a local lake. Not many humans to be found but there was a lot of wildlife!

There was some boating going on:
RlYH4mvl.jpg

A lot of fog:
wKODRpxl.jpg

XOKsd0jl.jpg

Some Canadian geese:
ZlPEXwPl.jpg

PRdgGCrl.jpg

Some not-necessarily Canadian ducks:
tpD0IODl.jpg

An otter having his lunch:
kBAtSlVl.jpg

AJOUgX0l.jpg

Some swans:
AIilaGil.jpg

And evidence of beavers:
g4jE8iyl.jpg

Have a great NYE, everyone!

Last edited:
A walk on one of the popular beaches that line the University of British Columbia was thwarted by a massive land slide
Ekki8cql.jpg

I found this bird rather interesting
9RglX4wl.jpg

There was a lovely sunset yesterday
hMVClDDl.jpg

DKH6GKil.jpg

Today I braved the sub-zero temperatures to capture some great photos of the mountains shrouded in fog and the ground covered in frost
QSxdq5Nl.jpg

QHAm7EMl.jpg

torsNmNl.jpg

Mt Baker was especially spectacular today. For those that don't know, Mt. Baker is in Washington state and about 90 miles from where I was standing.
kYoleajl.jpg

Is this a hawk?
vlXqBibl.jpg

So since the beginning of January I have had the good fortune to car sit while a close friend is off racing mountain bikes in New Zealand. I'll have the car basically through the winter when he returns in March some time. For me, this is a special treat indeed and I have had some time to think about whether a car fits into my life or not.

The car in question is a 2006 Honda Element:
qk2r7iFl.jpg

This thing is the perfect car for someone who spends all their free time flying down mountains on a bicycle. It's not my cup of tea; far too huge and the fuel economy is terrible. It is a cool car, well thought through and very practical. The rear doors are suicide-style and make it easy to load things in and out; the rear seats fold up and out of the way completely and leave you with a cavernous space to put your mucky things. There isn't a shred of carpet in the thing and everything is cleanable with a damp rag. The OEM stereo is fantastic (even has a nice subwoofer!) and the stock headlights are really quite excellent with the Philips Xtreme Vision H4s I recommended to him.

I haven't had a car since 2009 and the one thing that stands out most of all to me is the quality of life having a car brings you. It's fantastic to load up the car with your friends and go somewhere any time you please. It doesn't matter if it's 10 below, snowing, raining or whatever. You get in the car, load up some tunes and enjoy a heated shell of comfort and takes next to no effort to operate. You can get places quickly and in comfort and this is something I had forgotten.

I used to be quite an avid hiker but when I rid myself of a car, the outdoorsy stuff went with it. I've been thinking of trying skiing for the first time because I can just cruise up the mountain(s) any time I like now. This quality of life is especially apparent in the winters when I get the winter blues from lack of sunshine and lack of activity. I hate riding in the winter and do try my best to find enjoyment in it; it wears on me week after week in freezing temperatures and pouring rain.

It's certainly made me re-evaluate my love/hate relationship with the car. Perhaps something small, fun and efficient can keep me out of the sour weather and allow me to enjoy my riding a lot more as well. I live in a place that offers some of the most vast, beautiful wilderness in North America and it would be a shame to waste it, wouldn't it?

Last edited:
I always like the element when they were optioned up a bit. All the things you mentioned about the well thought out interior. Sadly the suspention is too light if you want to load up anything heavy which is a shame considering how big the rear area is with the seats out of the way. Honda overpriced them as well, I thought. I kinda liked the funcky stlye with function over form. My wife couldn't get past the looks, so it never got past the "what about this one?" Stage.

I think the Element is a very cool car for the outdoorsy person. Function over form is definitely the right way to describe it. I love that you can just pile into the thing with your muddy boots and dirty gear and not have to worry about ruining the seats or the carpet. The fuel economy is shameful for a Honda but it is a big rolling box. It would be perfect with a small diesel motor, I think.

I'll have to start car shopping at some point. With my long road trip to COTA and 3 weeks in Europe in September, I'm not sure where a car fits into the budget... I'm also pretty picky which makes it difficult.

Last edited:
So myself and some friends attempted to go snowshoeing on Sunday. Snow conditions have been very poor here and we drove up to the top of Mt. Seymour to find no snow. There was sunshine in the forecast and I needed some movement so we opted for some hiking in Deep Cove, BC

It was only a short hike up to a lovely viewpoint at the top called Quarry Rock. I plan on doing some more hikes up north since the roads have next to no snow on them now.

This is the trailhead:
lQQwqFOl.jpg

The view from the top:
EcPI6uKl.jpg

Taking a picture of taking a picture:
RlG1jzQl.jpg

Simon Fraser University is perched on top of Burnaby Mountain. You can barely make it out through the mist:
GVoFSDkl.jpg

And downtown Vancouver in said mist:
7EH95oYl.jpg

Damn, son. I think of all the beautiful pictures you've posted, this one hit me the hardest..and on a deep emotional level. I'm on my yearly routine pre-summer slim down and those cupcakes look a hell of a lot better than this grilled chicken in front of me.

They went fast, I'll tell you that

:sinister:

Get in touch if you have any questions at all

Thanks very much! ill definitely keep you in mind....

my friends and i are throwing a "bachelor ski trip" instead of a bachelor party for one of our good buddies, were going to be at whistler for a week, but are flying in and out of vancouver... heading there on feb 14 i believe -- and ill have a night or two in vancouver at the end of the trip --- ill be sure to contact you with any questions as the date draws closer :)

a few from the air during my trip to Korea for work, chasing the sun westward on New Years Day

Colorado River headed south from Lake Mead (Las Vegas just out of frame left)

Passing Mt Rainier

Seattle waterfront

Downtown Seattle

Final approach into Incheon

Back