PapaGeno21's Build Thread...

Geno,

Where did you end up setting the length of the shock and the position of the forks in the triple clamps?

Are you using a 190/50 or 190/55 rear tire?

Thanks!

Forks are flush. They are 16mm shorter than stock, so with them being flush the nose is down too far. I had the 8983 built 7mm shorter than they normally do it, that way I can extend it to full stock length or have it 15mm lower than normal. So I have the shock 10mm lower than normal, so it gives me that 6mm drop in the front.

190/50 tire in the rear.

Forks are flush. They are 16mm shorter than stock, so with them being flush the nose is down too far. I had the 8983 built 7mm shorter than they normally do it, that way I can extend it to full stock length or have it 15mm lower than normal. So I have the shock 10mm lower than normal, so it gives me that 6mm drop in the front.

190/50 tire in the rear.

Perfect! :tup: I love the 6mm drop in the front. Corners are just that much easier.

Geno,

Where did you end up setting the length of the shock and the position of the forks in the triple clamps?

Are you using a 190/50 or 190/55 rear tire?

Thanks!

I'm also running my 08 R1 front end also flush and my rear end is 5mm higher than stock at 325mm eye to eye.

The bike is much easier to turn in now and isn't twitchy at all.

There is a fair bit of leeway with these bikes, geometry wise, as they have a fairly long wheelbase.

Actually, I think my rear is up almost 15mm with the new Penske installed. So I'm up 15 in the back and down 6 in the front. The GPR helps keep it very smooth in the corners and counter-steer is a VERY light push-pull.

Figured I would do a little update. Hit 14,140 miles yesterday. I did a 460 mile trip yesterday and with the DirtRoad seat it was a cake walk. I also love my SH45 top case, I toss it on there for the longer trips. Much easier than my small tank bag I used to pop on there as it is not in the way of getting gas haha.

I am beyond happy that I got rid of my CD speed screen, the Givi is just so much better for ME personally. The CD looked the part but was more form over function IMO. Another thing I am super happy about is going back to the 17T front sprocket. Not only is driving on the highway way more comfortable with the lower RPM's I am getting better gas mileage. I am getting 38-40 now vs 34-36.

Going to need a new front tire soon, planning on a Pilot Pure, but still undecided. It is going to either be the PP2CT like I have now, or a Pure.

Ordered a CarbTune as I know my TB's are out of whack. When I do this I am going to extend the lines to under my driver seat so I can plug in easily and check them frequently to see how they are doing. That way I don't have to lift the tank or anything if they are still within an acceptable range.

I have the Driven AIS blockoff plates sitting here as well, going to finally properly remove the AIS system. Plugs are in the mail currently so that is also getting done. And I am going to change out my coolant.

So whichever weekend follows all my stuff coming in I am doing.

TB Sync
Blockoff Plates
New Plugs
Coolant Flush
Oil Change

Here are some pics. You can really see the new Dirt Road seats in these.

DSCF7392.jpg

DSCF7390.jpg

DSCF7389.jpg

And this weekend I did the 460 mile trip with RI Grinch who is on this forum, he lives near me and he bought my Gen1 FZ1.

IMAG0379.jpg

Last edited:
Papa the Pilot Pure may be too much tire for your kind of riding. If you were going to do some trackdays then I would say maybe but otherwise, it's overkill. Not to mention it won't live as long as the 2 CT.

That is cool you hooked up with RI. Even cooler is that his new bike is your old bike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You will do absolutely fine with a set of PR2/3s.

I need to find some donor stock seats to get that Dirt Road mod done.

I am only talking about the front tire, I use a PR2 rear and a PP2CT front but the front is in need of replacement soon.

You don't need donor seats, he has seats that he does like a core charge at a parts store. You pay 70 extra per seat, then when you send him your stock ones he gives your the money back.

I have to say that ride was a Blast! I had a lot of fun..especially cutting off all those cruisers..lol. I definitely need to get a different seat and get a luggage rack of some sort. That would make the ride a whole lot better. Other than that it was a whole lot of fun and would love to do it again. Maybe this time I will actually get the wifes OK to do it..but probably not. HAHAHA!!

Synced my TB's.. Basically I hooked the carbtune up to them and they are all within a tiny amount of eachother so I just left them alone.

Changed my Plugs

Installed my Blockoff Plates

Put in some fresh Engine ice.

Going to be ordering a new front tire within the month. Going to just get the PP2CT again. Love it. Rear has a good 3-4K left in it.

14,662 and counting!

Synced my TB's.. Basically I hooked the carbtune up to them and they are all within a tiny amount of eachother so I just left them alone.

Changed my Plugs

Installed my Blockoff Plates

Put in some fresh Engine ice.

Going to be ordering a new front tire within the month. Going to just get the PP2CT again. Love it. Rear has a good 3-4K left in it.

14,662 and counting!

And the pics.

I love how neatly you can set the coil wires now.

DSCF7416.jpg

These are the TB sync tubes. Extended them to under the seat.

DSCF7420.jpg

DSCF7418.jpg

Lets just say I got a good deal on a Micron Full System, along with a PC3. The Micron is black. However I hear that the Micron is super loud, so I may not like the pipe but I want the header. The pipe itself has great resale, so that is a huge plus.

I will try the pipe for a while and if I don't like it I will use the Dale Walker pipe with the Micron Header as I am in LOVE with my slip on currently. The sound is unmatched.

Going to be doing the PC3 obviously which is going to allow me to do the airbox mod, tie up the flies, and use a K&N Filter.

I have the servo eliminator in the mail from the dude on the other forum, so that will allow me to make a shelf for all my electronics to go where the servo was.

Man it should be night and day!

SO EXCITED!

Wish the ECU deal was golden....have heard ALOT of negative feedback in the other site. Would rather have a solid ECU fix than chop up a good bike....

Dang Papa,
With all this talk of Busa's and your other project bike - I thought for sure your FZ was gonna come up for sale. But you're back into it!
Waiting... waiting...

It's a beauty - you've got there!

That Dale Walker looks too dated and spouty on an otherwise nice looking bike. Micron will finish that look better. If the DW was a high mount then that would have been a different dimension altogether.

My micron full system: Look how sleek and low profile it looks and flows... Best looking and sounding next to a Graves full system

6168807355_fe4c09e887_b.jpg

7382534566_61a39e5d1c_b.jpg

6168808369_0c902dff38_b.jpg

6169341892_63a2131216_z_d.jpg

6169341892_63a2131216_b.jpg

6168808719_994aaa0144_b.jpg

6169341554_a056274849_b.jpg

My commute/tour Scorpion CF: Smooth, quieter sound

6833916073_d96567e57f_b_d.jpg

Last edited:
This bike is NOT going for sale. If I end up with a ZX-14R it will be as a second bike for straight line fun. This thing is my baby and I am not joking when I say that it is not being sold.

As far as the Micron, I LOVE the way it looks. Just depends on how loud it is. I sold the GYTR because it was too loud.

Kbay84, I am not quite sure what you are getting at? Am I chopping up my bike?

Back