Ohlins YA 906 Rear Shock Installed

hmmmm.. seems like nobody's going the way of bitubo?

bitubo got a real sweet set for damper, fork cartridges and rear shock..

can't wait for mine to arrive..

Looks nice, but if I want to order one I have to get it in the US since it's only about $1000 there and here in Sweden it's something like $1500-1600.

Wonder why it's so expensive here???

Ballmead if you can get an Ohlins landed in Oz for $1,000 let me know. I think you'll find they are even more than that.

Hardracing.com sells them for around $953 USD so add, lets say, another $100 for shipping and it's not too far away.

I'm also looking at Nitron rear shocks. They are a UK company and from all accounts they make excellent shocks.
The track version comes with a remote reservoir and only costs 425 pounds from Nitron themselves Nitron FZ1 shocks
With shipping it would be around $750 AUD dollars landed.

Last edited:
You could get an 8983 for less than the ohlins. It is also ride hight adjustable! You won't go wrong either way! Oops just saw your in OZZ. Not sure what a penske would run or how well it would be supported there.

Hardracing.com sells them for around $953 USD so add, lets say, another $100 for shipping and it's not too far away.

Ballmead that's a great price, especially with the $AUD at parity with the $USD. I had my suspension upgraded by Teknik who are located in Penrith. They did a great job and I am very happy with the result. I was going to go with the Ohlins but they convinced me they could get just as good a result with other European componentry they use for a better price.

attachment.php

As I said I am very happy with the setup but if I had been able to get an Ohlins for the price you have now found I would have definitely gotten the Ohlins.

The Nitron looks OK but seems to have limited adjustment, spend a couple of extra bucks and get the Ohlins.

Also I would recommend the guys at Teknik.

Ballmead that's a great price, especially with the $AUD at parity with the $USD. I had my suspension upgraded by Teknik who are located in Penrith. They did a great job and I am very happy with the result. I was going to go with the Ohlins but they convinced me they could get just as good a result with other European componentry they use for a better price.

attachment.php

As I said I am very happy with the setup but if I had been able to get an Ohlins for the price you have now found I would have definitely gotten the Ohlins.

The Nitron looks OK but seems to have limited adjustment, spend a couple of extra bucks and get the Ohlins.

Also I would recommend the guys at Teknik.

Looks good Bluey, how do you find the handling now compared to stock?
Did you do anything with the front shocks?
I live in Western Sydney so Teknic is not too far away, I might give them a call.

I"m getting ready to order a shock for my '08 and am vacilating between the Penske 8983 and the Ohlin. Anyone have a comparo between the two shocks? The Penske would be about $150+ cheaper . . .

Looks good Bluey, how do you find the handling now compared to stock?
Did you do anything with the front shocks?
I live in Western Sydney so Teknic is not too far away, I might give them a call.

Chalk and cheese. The standard set up was OK but I weigh 100kg fully kitted and the standard rear shock was just a little overwhelmed when pushed. There is no point mucking around so I had Teknik Fit the new rear shock and fit upgraded valves and springs to the front forks and set the whole thing up for my weight and riding style. The ride is considerably firmer but I had no problem riding to Phillip Island and back in October. It has been well worth the expense, in fact if I could only do one mod this would be it.

Even if you buy a shock elsewhere I reckon I pays to have someone who knows what they are doing install it and set it up for your weight and riding style.

From reading plenty about them, they are both excellent choices.
How long is the Ohlins from eye to eye? The Penske is height adjustable which is a bit of an advantage as I have been reading that raising the rear allows the bike to turn in quicker.
The Ohlins looks more sexy though :)

Is the stocker really not up to it?

Will be doing a month long roadtrip in europe later this year 2 up - I haven't taken this bike with luggage and a pillion before - is the stock suspension not going to be up to the job then? or are you guys just honing your bikes to your exacting standards and a stock spring will suffice? I'm a bit worried now that I will have to fork out a lot to upgrade before I go!

To be honest I haven't even played with my suspension settings so I've no idea of the difference it'll make! I'll give it a go sometime though to educate myself.

Fz1uk I wouldn't panic. I see you have a 2007 model and it should be up to the task. I rode my 2008 for nearly 2 years before I started playing with the suspension and loved it. Sure riding two up there is extra weight but when I have someone on the back I don't ride as hard as I do solo.

Having said that the upgraded suspension on my bike has made a big difference and was worth the expense.

Ps Looking at the weather you're having over there at the moment you might want to invest in some heated grips as well.

i have heard very good comments for ohlins ....here in greece we haven't informations for the other company you asked for.....

i have just ordered the ohlins YA 628 and iam waiting to instal it on my fz1 :flash::flash::flash:

Last edited:
I ordered a Nitron Sport Shock for my FZ1 tonight.
For $560 AUD delivered to my door, I couldn't pass that deal up.
I'll let you guys know how it goes when I get it in a few weeks time.

I ordered a Nitron Sport Shock for my FZ1 tonight.
For $560 AUD delivered to my door, I couldn't pass that deal up.
I'll let you guys know how it goes when I get it in a few weeks time.

how is nitron compared to ohlins? i know it could be the brand game where ohlins are the favoured.. here where i am, getting an ohlins is about the same price as getting a nitron race shock with shipping.. theres no nitron dealer in my country thus have to order them direct.

how is nitron compared to ohlins? i know it could be the brand game where ohlins are the favoured.. here where i am, getting an ohlins is about the same price as getting a nitron race shock with shipping.. theres no nitron dealer in my country thus have to order them direct.

Ohlins definitely has the name but there are plenty of good options out there that are way better than the harsh factory boat anchor rear shock.
I went with Nitron as I am getting a quality shock for a great price.
I did a fair bit of research online and no one had a bad thing to say about them.
The Nitron has height adjustment which is important as an extra 5mm on the rear shock assists turn in greatly to help sharpen up the handling.
I can't wait to get it.

Ohlins definitely has the name but there are plenty of good options out there that are way better than the harsh factory boat anchor rear shock.
I went with Nitron as I am getting a quality shock for a great price.
I did a fair bit of research online and no one had a bad thing to say about them.
The Nitron has height adjustment which is important as an extra 5mm on the rear shock assists turn in greatly to help sharpen up the handling.
I can't wait to get it.

but i wonder why motogp or superbike are not using nitron.. or there are..?

but i wonder why motogp or superbike are not using nitron.. or there are..?

We are talking road bikes here not World Championship Motorcycle racing.
If you need and can afford the super adjustable top-of-the-line Ohlins gear, then go for it.
Nitron, Ohlins, Wilbers, Hyperpro etc all make similar products and they are all way better than the stock rear shock.
You need to choose which one suits your needs and budget not what the MotoGP boys are using.

Back