Ohlins YA 906 Rear Shock Installed

slyder1217

As I mentioned in the "What did you do to your FZ1?" thread, I finally bit the bullet and ordered a new shock. I knew I wanted remote preload adjustment so I don't have to dig out the ol' spanner everytime the wife wants to ride. I decided on the Ohlins and ordered from HardRacing.com last Wednesday. (After finally receiving my tax return check:sinister:) My order was processed and shipped the next day and since it was coming from NC, my shock was in my hands on Friday. As a bonus they re-sprung the shock for my weight and riding preferences for free. Sunday I got it put on and had a friend help me get a basic setup on it. Install was a breeze. The included hardware for the reservoir and preload adjustment knob look good and were easily mounted to the passenger foot peg bracket. All in all the install and setup took less than 2 hours. I used the Ohlins factory recommended compression/rebound settings and set the sag to around 20mm. (Ohlins recommended 12mm but I've read a couple of articles that say between 20-35 depending on the application).

Today I got a chance to get out and do a little shakedown. Nothing too "spirited" but I did toss it through some good corners and I'm pretty happy with the initial setup. When the wife got home we suited up and took the bike to dinner. I gave the preload adjuster several turns and we set off. It felt good on the way to dinner and we took the twisties to get home. Again the bike felt totally solid. The Ohlins being much smoother than the stocker was pleasing to my wifes bum (which in the end is all that really matters :D )

Overall I feel that I'll more than get my money's worth out of the Ohlins and I'm pleased with my purchase.

... I'm not gonna lie, the bling factor is nice too! ;)

Welcome to the club bro. Man gotta love the gold!!!. Trust me this is the best thing you can do to the FZ1. I made a spacer so the compression sits more in underneath by the left side passenger peg.

Pictures please

Welcome to the club bro. Man gotta love the gold!!!. Trust me this is the best thing you can do to the FZ1. I made a spacer so the compression sits more in underneath by the left side passenger peg.

How about posting a couple of close up shots of that. It would be a big help.

Thanks.

Sweet! Perhaps next year for me...

What's the difference between their 628 and the 906? Thanks!

Wish they came in all black.

As far as I can tell the internals are the same on both shocks and I think the YA 628 has been replaced with the YA 906. Read somewhere else that the length of the reservoiur hoses are different between the two and this allows the YA 906 to be bolted onto any FZ1 (including the ABS models, which we don't get here). As you can see now you can bolt the reservoir on the left side of the frame, were with the YA 628 the hose wasn't long enough and you had to stick it under the seat.

***Note: the above is information that I gathered from other various forums so not sure how accurate it is, but it looks like the YA 906 is the way to go.

As far as I can tell the internals are the same on both shocks and I think the YA 628 has been replaced with the YA 906. Read somewhere else that the length of the reservoiur hoses are different between the two and this allows the YA 906 to be bolted onto any FZ1 (including the ABS models, which we don't get here). As you can see now you can bolt the reservoir on the left side of the frame, were with the YA 628 the hose wasn't long enough and you had to stick it under the seat.

***Note: the above is information that I gathered from other various forums so not sure how accurate it is, but it looks like the YA 906 is the way to go.

Excellent info! Thanks Tony. :tup:

Sweet! Perhaps next year for me...

What's the difference between their 628 and the 906? Thanks!

Wish they came in all black.

According to the Hard racing site only the 906 is available. The other is discontinued.

Where would the fun be if it was all black. It's the bling factor in gold and Yellow. That way all the other riders go oohh aahh at the stops.

Not one for bling.... stealth. I'd rather have expensive stuff "less advertised" But, that might change is I paint the bike in another year of two. ;)

Not one for bling.... stealth. I'd rather have expensive stuff "less advertised" But, that might change is I paint the bike in another year of two. ;)

Well yea you got the '09 so you don't really have any gold bits on your bike anyway. I'm with you on the stealth factor, but when people see that gold reservoir and preload adjuster they just go :drools:

Mail man DELIVERS !

When I got home tonight look what was waiting for me. Good Ol' canada Post comes through, The snow did not stop our man!

IMG_0198.jpg

IMG_0201.jpg

IMG_0202.jpg

The last one should give you an Idea of the hose lenght. Weekend install and pictures to follow.:party0011::party0011:

Man gotta love the gold!!!. I made you a spacer about 25mm so the compression reservior sits in line with the under-tail.

You guys are making me drool. How does the Ohlins feel with the wife on the back?

Wife on the back?. I am lucky that mine doesn't like being on the back. The FZ1 is only for 1 pilot at a time. I have a rebuilt fully worked VC Commodore that the wife enjoys more than the bike, it is an awesome cruiser.

It feel approximately eleventybillion times better with the wife on board. It just feels smoother and more solid. The remote preload adjuster is fantastic. It takes all the irritation out of two up riding.

Awesome looking shock fellas.
Damn this forum, it costs me a fortune every time I look at a new thread
I've gone from initially looking at a $500 8900E Penske to now looking at a $1000 Ohlins :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Back