Official YZF Makeover Thread

Shakedown Run!!!!

Okay ladies and gents!,

First Ride Report:

Sorry, but no vids as of yet. I dug through my GoPro stuff last night to find that I didn't have any flat mounts left so I must order some. Anyhow, I did a nifty 5 miles right after work today just traveling near my house to make sure it was running good.
I set the rear preload on Sunday to the last setting which jacked up the rear end about an inch. It was on the lowest setting from the previous owner. I hit the streets at first and ran down ones that had a bunch of different scenarios, such as dips, bumps, etc. The YZF handles all of those with ease with no jarring myself, and no rattling of body panels or suspension parts. Nice! The Yosh is extremely quiet and the exhaust is still "cooking" on the ceramic coating and paint. It doesn't smell until you stop for a while but I'm sure that will subside over time. I wound my way through the streets, getting a feel for the handling, braking, and shifting, all of which were excellent. The front FZ1 calipers with the braided line is a "one finger" deal for most stopping. The bike shifts like butter, both upshifts and downshifts, and when stopped, neutral is simple to find.
I made my way to the parkway for a two exit run back to the house. Entering in second gear was easy, and the bike was up to 60 in the blink of an eye. I ran up through the gears and was running 55mph at 3,000 rpms. I did change the gearing so I don't know what the stock numbers are. I can say that Ivan is truly the "Master" cause the bike has absolutely NO vibration at all, and it is insane at just how a little twist of the throttle just pours on the power! I will say that it is altogether smoother at highway speeds than the FZ1 was for sure. The bike literally runs like a "new bike" with no exaggeration at all.
I will have to get used to the higher rearsets, but it's not at all uncomfortable even though it was only 5 miles. The front soaks up the bumps nicely and when turning, just pick a line, push the bar, and shes leaned over, following a direct line through the turn. As it was on Tony's bike coming home, it is very easy to ride fast on this bike. I still have a :D on my face as I type. I am so pleased with how this whole rebuild worked out, and not counting my work hours on it since I love doing it and don't consider it "work", I think I made out like a bandit, spending a grand total of $3150.00 dollars to have a classic one year ride that runs like new! I can't wait to get her up on the mountain! Videos to come this weekend for sure!

Excellent Billy !! Sounds like an awesome BIKE !! And the price . . . . . woot !!

I just love these labor of love's . . . . the reward is so "worth it" !!!! :thewave:

Finally! The first ride report and it was AWESOME! Well done Brother! Very happy to hear the bike was better than expected. From scrap yard to showroom, she's quite the ride. Now I have to come down and actually SEE it!

Finally! The first ride report and it was AWESOME! Well done Brother! Very happy to hear the bike was better than expected. From scrap yard to showroom, she's quite the ride. Now I have to come down and actually SEE it!

YES! You need to get your butts (Plural), down here to the Bronx soon buddy! It's RIDING TIME!!!!! Yahoooo!!!!

Thanks Troy!
I'm going to submit the bike to SSB Magazine and hope for the best. My FZ1 made it into the mag after my rebuild so hopefully I can make it in again!

Right after I heard your FZ1 made it into a mag, I searched for it and bought a copy. I recently gave it to Gary. I thought it fitting it was with the bike. :tup:

We have a spare room and you'd always be welcome to stay if you ever make it out my way. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Awesome news Billy.

You really deserve to have the quality of ride she gave you after all you have done to bring her back to the way she once was.

Great Job.

I wished I had half of your patients and talent for that matter my friend.

Now its close to making a trip for a ride. We need to get something in the works. My Plastic is begining to rust!

Was able to score both an important piece of equipment today, and also a cosmetic item as well.

Lucky that Tony found these babies!
566669343_o.jpg

And I was happy to score these as to hide that silver triple that stares me in the face everytime I sit on the bike!
YZF1000-96-02.gif

NOW THATS IT!!!!.........I Think??????:doh2:

DB Killer or No DB Killer????

I did a short video clip this morning with and without the DB Killer in on the YZF. I wound up putting it back in but I was curious as to what you guys and gals think about the difference. I am convinced that the bike is probably THE quietest bike I ever owned so I'm just not used to it I guess. I'm gonna leave it in for the meantime, I was just wondering what you thought.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWzGj69TJd8&list=UUtIiPrXXOnkIUMfJ6mRxgkQ&index=1&feature=plcp]Yoshi RS-3 DB Killer Comparison On YZF1000 - YouTube[/ame]

It's impossible to tell the volume difference in the video but I think I'd leave the dB-killer in as well. I put one in my SV's RS-3 and I much prefer it

I could tell the volume difference but -- it would have been clearer if you had the camera at the rear of the bike to eliminate some of the head noise.

I think I like it both ways but maybe better with the killer out.

Back