Official YZF Makeover Thread

NEVER fear!! Kerosene man is here !! Go Billy, GO !!

Well, you can never keep a determined man down!! Kerosene not doing the job, then break out the alcohol!!! After scrubbing the thick grime with the kerosene, I washed the bathtub clean and took a break pondering my next move. I used alcohol on the rims after the kerosene and I was able to get many of the little spots off so I gave it a try. I rubbed and rubbed and rubbed and finally they started disappearing. It took a while but I managed to remove every single spot, inside and out. I even cleaned the protective aluminized mat they installed for heat protection. So here are the "after" shots and a job well done. I polished it up with wax and buffed it to a nice shine.

IMG_3005.jpg

IMG_3009.jpg

IMG_3011.jpg

IMG_3012.jpg

IMG_3013.jpg

IMG_3014.jpg

IMG_3015.jpg

IMG_3016.jpg

So my Sunday wasn't a complete bust after all. I have three more panels to do and all the bodywork will be complete! Thanks for looking. Time to eat dinner!!!

Billy are you taking it to Ivan this weekend?

No, not this weekend coming. Probably the next as long as I get the trailer built and registered. If I can get Tony here this coming weekend to just spend an hour or so routing the EXUP Cables, then I will build the trailer on Sunday and register it during the week. If all goes to plan then I'll bring it over Saturday morning, the 17th of this month. This is all provided that my back is in good enough shape to build the trailer of course, but thats the schedule I'd like to see.

I am shocked that someone would let something so nice get so bad. I could see maybe if the paint was all scratched up and they lost care but so far every thing under all that dirt look beautiful. You deffently got yourself a nice machine. all the effert has more than paid off. Its alway good when someone like you get a nice old bike because they stay that way forever.

Geeeeze Billy !! You do such great work. Cleaning, detailing, polishing,-- wow man,,,,,,,I have got to get busy on the RZ. . . . I didn't hit alick on her today. I have a nasty head cold. LG (low-grade) fever, headache (frontal lobes) and a cough, ohh yeah, a really snotty nose , , , damn the cold !! It's off to the shop and time to get down and dirty !! I must keep up! Gotta get ONE thing clean tonight! No excuses! Billy has set the (clean-machine) BAR so high . . . . . I have to get fired up now. . . . ..
Seeing your newly restored lower cowl and heat-shields is giving me strength !! We--MUST carry on . . . . .:wilynily:

Bill, here are a couple pics of the tire hugger I put on my 999 last weekend.

SDC12204.jpg

SDC12205.jpg

Here is one of the bike in the driveway today while the sun was out.

SDC12194.jpg

Thanks again for showing me how to use the photobucket acccount settings!

Bill, here are a couple pics of the tire hugger I put on my 999 last weekend.

SDC12204.jpg

SDC12205.jpg

Here is one of the bike in the driveway today while the sun was out.

SDC12194.jpg

Thanks again for showing me how to use the photobucket acccount settings!

Holy Crap, thats a sick bike!!! I'd love to take a spin on that one day! The hugger looks great. What company makes that one? The best thing I love about my hugger is that it comes with thick, heavy rubber grommets that go into the mounting holes, and then it has a steel bushing that goes into the grommets. When you screw it down tight, there is absolutely no pressure applied to the hugger itself, and anyone who has had aftermarket huggers knows that the mounting holes are the first place you get cracks due to vibration. Awesome job Pete. Thanks for gracing my thread with your Duc!!!

Holy crap Billy! I never imagined those parts would clean up that much given the first look at them. WOW!!! :tup: She is going to look VERY NICE!!! I hope she rides even nicer!

Holy crap Billy! I never imagined those parts would clean up that much given the first look at them. WOW!!! :tup: She is going to look VERY NICE!!! I hope she rides even nicer!

She had better!!!! After all this cleaning I'd hate to be stuck just looking at her!! Ivan is very familiar with this bike and I'm sure that she'll be purring like a kitten when I get her back home. Hopefully my back will be better by this weekend so I can get the trailer together and registered. If all works out she should be up to him on the 17th. That would make the 24th as "zero hour". Yippee!!!!

I was just sitting down looking at the YZF photos, and I looked at the tank shots again where I had seen the date written down and noticed something else. It looks like someone's name is etched in weld on the inside lip of the tank??? I'll have to look tomorrow more closely at this. Very strange???
IMG_2993-1.jpg

I think that when this project is complete you should email the previous owner this thread to show them what some elbow grease (and kerosene) can do. This is what a loved bike should look like.:bowdown:

I was just sitting down looking at the YZF photos, and I looked at the tank shots again where I had seen the date written down and noticed something else. It looks like someone's name is etched in weld on the inside lip of the tank??? I'll have to look tomorrow more closely at this. Very strange???
IMG_2993-1.jpg

I noticed it in your first posted pic and spent quite a few minutes trying to decipher if it really said something? Or is it just the way the weld was sanded/ground down that appears to have something there. Let's see a close up of that! :tup:

Back