Official YZF Makeover Thread

I hit it big today! The Chain, Sprockets, and EXUP Cover all arrived at work today. My buddy ran out and picked me up the Header Paint in Flat Black. All I need now is some odds and ends from Partshark and the rebuild will be complete!

IMG_2686.jpg

Looks like a good delivery day :D That EXUP cover looks new and the header paint should work out well. You just have to clean them as good as possible. Like I said before it would be great if you could get them sand blasted.

That's about right. I still have to sand and paint the stock headers, remove and clean the EXUP Valve, figure out how to route the EXUP cables, and I have to figure out what I got coming from Partshark to see if there is anything that will keep me from at least putting everything back together. I also forgot that I don't have a chain tool. The last time we did my chain was at your house. I may break down and buy one, just not sure yet.

I was eying some chain tools the other day after I saw a review in one of the motorcycle magazines for the Pro Motion one. It's one of the few tools that I don't have and will need one day as well...

It's was one like this:

eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

I think I'm going to bite the bullet and get it so don't order it as you can use it whenever you want. It won't go unused.

Well the one I linked to got really good reviews in the magazine (think it was latest issue of Cycle World). And it's one of those things that hopefully you'll never have to buy again.

That looks like a solid tool in that link. You will have to forgive me Hail the site i came from someone was always quick to crap on my setup. you mods do a great job here!

That looks like a solid tool in that link. You will have to forgive me Hail the site i came from someone was always quick to crap on my setup. you mods do a great job here!

What I'll do is make a video of it in use when I do my chain for the YZF. It does look pretty heavy duty.

You like em' stretched, then thats your preference! It's just fine to state whether you like it or not but thats where it should end. I love decals on my fairing but many do not. We all have our likes and dislikes, it's just how we voice them that matters. Thanks for the kudos, but I think it's more the fact that we have Top Shelf Members here on the site which makes our jobs quite easy. Props to them!

That's about right. I still have to sand and paint the stock headers, remove and clean the EXUP Valve, figure out how to route the EXUP cables, and I have to figure out what I got coming from Partshark to see if there is anything that will keep me from at least putting everything back together. I also forgot that I don't have a chain tool. The last time we did my chain was at your house. I may break down and buy one, just not sure yet.

I've been eyeballing this one Billy. It's getting good reviews and Motion Pro makes some quality motorcycle tools. ;) [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Motion-Pro-Chain-Breaker-08-0470/dp/B0050HJNW4"]Amazon.com: Motion Pro PBR Chain Breaker 08-0470: Automotive[/ame]

Well the one I linked to got really good reviews in the magazine (think it was latest issue of Cycle World). And it's one of those things that hopefully you'll never have to buy again.

That is exactly where I saw it too. :D Can't wait to hear your review on it.

Hopefully it ships today, and since it's coming from Michigan, it may arrive here before the weekend. I'll definitely give a review on it. I like the fact that it actually presses the pin into that "square" shape that you see from the factory.

Hopefully it ships today, and since it's coming from Michigan, it may arrive here before the weekend. I'll definitely give a review on it. I like the fact that it actually presses the pin into that "square" shape that you see from the factory.

When I need to replace my chain, can I call on you for this as well?

I need to get out to the garage and get the bikes put back together. Well, her bike can go back together after a couple more parts, new oil, filter and coolant. Mine... I still have the tear down the whole front end and find that vibration (cracked some sort of mount point inside the fairing/headlight assembly) caused by that low-side last year.

Watching for the big build Billy. I know it will be mint when you are done. :yes:

When I need to replace my chain, can I call on you for this as well?

I need to get out to the garage and get the bikes put back together. Well, her bike can go back together after a couple more parts, new oil, filter and coolant. Mine... I still have the tear down the whole front end and find that vibration (cracked some sort of mount point inside the fairing/headlight assembly) caused by that low-side last year.

Watching for the big build Billy. I know it will be mint when you are done. :yes:

Thanks! And yes, whenever you need it I'll send it Priority Mail and you'll have it in less than three days. No problem with that!

Guess I should have read ALL of the updated posts...LOL!!!

:th_smiley_rotfl2[1] yea you missed it bud!

Seriously as you said Pro-Motion makes quality stuff and I like the simplicity and fool-proof design of this chain tool. Just line up the letters on the the body and the little block with the job that you're doing, Press, Break or Rivet. Doesn't get much easier than that :)

Well, I just knew that since things were strolling along without not one issue, something was bound to happen to this otherwise problem free build. When I got home this evening I ran right into the garage to work on the exhaust. I just wanted to remove the EXUP Valve, get that cleaned up and re-installed, and then sand it down and make it ready for some paint. I had sprayed the three bolts twice last week to let them sit to make it easier for removal. Well, you guys must know where this is going, right?

That's right! The first bolt came out with no problem. I can't say the same for the second and third ones though! Both snapped off in the holes! Okay, no problem I said. I removed the valve, which by the way was nice and clean! Argh!! Then I drilled the two broken bolts which was easy enough. I break out the taps and start reaming the first hole with some grease. I'm almost all the way through and SNAP! goes the friggin tap!! Double Argh!!! So that was the extent because I need to get some smaller bits from work tomorrow to now drill out the tap and retap the hole!

Anyway, one good thing is that the OEM Chain Guard finally arrived. I cleaned it up because for some reason when people are selling stuff on Ebay they feel it's okay to send CRUD covered items for you to deal with! I also got my OEM Tool Kit as well which has every tool and then some.

IMG_2687.jpg

IMG_2688.jpg

IMG_2689.jpg

So that's it for tonight. I will try again tomorrow afternoon with new drill bits and smaller taps!

Last edited:
Oh man that really sucks about the tap! That thing will be a major PITA to drill out now!

Hey that chain guard cleaned up nicely so now you can throw it on there while you wait for the hugger to arrive from the UK. At least it'll keep the rest of the bike cleaner now.

Dang Billy, Good luck drilling out the tap. Do you have a picture you can take of the snapped tap? My experience says the problem will grow. (Broken tap = pandoras Box). They never drill on center without an industrial drill press or end mill Machine.

Dang Billy, Good luck drilling out the tap. Do you have a picture you can take of the snapped tap? My experience says the problem will grow. (Broken tap = pandoras Box). They never drill on center without an industrial drill press or end mill Machine.

Well, the only thing I'm hoping is that the tap is not the best quality and I'll be able to drill through it using smaller bits to get a "center" and then move up progressively from there. My only other route is that I will tap out the second hole correctly, and then put the cover in place and move over from the broken hole and drill an entirely new hole. Then I'll tap it and I'll be done. I'm positive that two bolts and some RTV Sealant would sufficiently hold it in place but I'd ideally like to have three mounting points. Things were going soooo smooth! :ugh:

Back