Next Yamaha Project???

1) Shipper is at the pick up location

2) '88 FZ600 Alu swing is on the way

3) '90 FZR400 Front Calipers are on the way

4) Small bits on the way: EBC clutch kit, Fork Seal/Guide Kit, Chain and Sprockets 16X40 JT, Wheel Bearings, Y-Boot/K&N kit (Yes! a K&N kit!)

I spoke with Roger at Wicked ATV yesterday, Here' what I'm thinking for motor configuration:

1) Weisco Pistons, next size over, second over I think...
2) Wicked Head (That is just too funny...)
3) Wicked Crank/Rods - Stroke to 395cc? (That is funny too)
4) Matching and Mild Porting - By Wicked
5) Wicked Intake Manifolds
6) Jetted Carbs - Rebuilt by Classic Carb Repair - Home
7) Wicked Chambers
8) Yamaha Y Boot
9) V Force Reeds
10) Assembly by Yours Truly.

Wow that thing will scream! how much stroke over stock will that be?

4mm is what the crank in my banshee is. Its from vito's. it has .050 over weisco pistons.
they have some pretty amazing 350 motors out there. I was suprised at how cheap most parts are for the engine.

I was thinking (dreaming) of doing a resto on one of these and as there are heaps of engines around, building a wild engine just for fun. I'm sure you could switch the engines in a morning.

I canceled the Penske order. I got a call from MDRacing and there is an additional charge for the RZ. The price ended up be about 1/3 of what I paid for the bike.

So that leaved Ohlins emulsion or Nitron if I can find a US supplier.

Tony do you have link to the Koni you bought?

Here you go Pete!

HARD RACING PERFORMANCE / HARD CORE SPORTS SHOPPING CART - Yamaha Ohlins Shocks, RD 350 LC 83-88

Joe (jwhelan65) posted on the RZ forum that he was able to order one earlier this week so I wouldn't wait to place the order.

Ohlins on the way! I just can't see spending $950 for a shock for the RZ. Yikes!

The difference can go towards chambers. What are you using Tony?

Race Tech is in route.

Just have to figure out the 6K problem. I'm thinking fouled plugs. Oh I just flashed back 25 years. :nothing:

Yea, unless you were going to be tracking the bike extensively the Ohlins should be more than enough on the street.

I got a set of Toomeys with CF silencers. They look like these :D

RZ_350_Complete__4fd00c8d35785.jpg

Have heard that the Canadian spec pipes are actually pretty good so you may want to wait until you have done the engine to do something about the pipes.

I would suspect fouled plugs as well. Easiest place to start anyway...

Thanks for the ride report. The RZ sounds like it feels a lot like the FZ600. It's great fun and is nimble and easy to ride but totally feels like the chassis is made from spaghetti. The brakes were awful until I rebuilt the calipers, replaced the lines and put some HH pads and now they're pretty decent.

The Shinko 712s are funny, those are cruiser tires. Why would anyone put those on a lightweight two-stroke sport bike? :dontknow:

180 kph = 112 mph :) What kind of top speed were you expecting? I think that's about what I've seen from my FZ600 but it's only rated at 55 hp from the factory. I guess you should see much more

Keep the updates coming! This is great!

Last edited:
Good luck, and I hope it works out at the next one.

This may be more trouble than it's worth, but is there a way it might be easier to get it licensed in another state and then transfer to OK? There are many problems with that scenario, I know, but it's a thought. :stirpot:

Good luck, and I hope it works out at the next one.

This may be more trouble than it's worth, but is there a way it might be easier to get it licensed in another state and then transfer to OK? There are many problems with that scenario, I know, but it's a thought. :stirpot:

That is a possibility. I heard that people go through Maine then transfer to their state.

In OK there are Tag Agency shops all over the place. So are large some are small. It's an odd concept to me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

One step closer this week. I need a Canadian Title: Check, a Notrized Title: Check, one of six possible border documents: Seller is working on...

Bike passed inspection. Hooray!!! So I have insurance and the inspection. All I need is the border papers.

I emailed him this weekend, and he was in the US this week and asked the border guards; "Wazzup?" They said, "Oops, we owe you a piece of paper."

Hopefully this week this is squared away and I can get the title.

This weekend:

1) Shorei Battery; Lights are bright and the electrics seem spot on.
2) Cleaned out the air box. Found STANDING oil inside the airbox, yuck...
3) Removed both air box snorkels. I've not ridden her yet, but it MUST be better. This thing is terrible!

A bunch of new parts ordered:

1) Avon tires in the OEM sizes: 90/90 18, 110/80 18. The Stinko's are simply too damn big.

2) Yamabits: About $350 in small parts.

3) Economy Cycle: Another $500 in small parts.

4) Still have a bunch of other parts on the way: Ohlins, Race Tech, EBC, etc., etc.

The big chunk will be the motor once the suspension is complete.

The body work is Shiite; cracks, broken tabs, etc. I need to decide if I'll try to go OEM (Ebay - not many parts out there), rework the parts I have (very difficult), or just go with an Air Tech YSR500 kit. The Air Tech kit is probably cheaper in the long run, less labor.

View attachment 15398

View attachment 15399

View attachment 15400

View attachment 15401

View attachment 15402

Back