New Yamaha Project???

I heard from Revival today. "We installed the new diaphragms, new pilots and adjusted the needles. Man, this is a fast bike."

That is what I like to hear. We are at the end of what can be adjusted with this pilot size so we are going up one and adjust from there. With that change it should be 99% correct. Once the "butt dyno" tuning is done, I'll hit up AF1 Racing and put her on the dyno for steady state readings and sweep pulls. On that particular dyno I expect 75 to 80 hp. On a typical DynoJet maybe 82 to 88. When I started the project my goal was 80 hp with the stock carbs.

On the weight goal I'm close. My goal is to drop 75lbs and keep the overall stock appearance. So far I've taken off about 63 lbs. With the rear wheel, swingarm and exhaust, I think there is another 12 to 18 lbs that can come off.

NOS badges arrived today. Interestingly the cost $10 less, for each badge than buying new ones. This was a two year search for these. :)

4a08fb12857d4795175f75f8ad5323fa.jpg

Well, delays on delays...bottomline the shop manned up and are making things right...socket dropped on fuel tank.

That said I'm going to jump in with both feet into installing the Motogadget M-Unit. If you've not seen or heard of one before check it out, it's perhaps the most ingenious thing I've seen in motorcycle in a very long time. With the M-Unit I'll only have to run ONE wire to the front half of the bike, yes ONE wire. Additionally I'll be able to eliminate the fuse box, a the half dozen relays and about half of the total wiring harness. I can totally see the OEM going to technology like this; simpler to make, assemble and save weight. It's a no brainer.

The key to one wire to the front of the bike is a thing called a M-Button. It's a micro-switch that passes the electronic signals from the OEM switch gear back to the M-Unit and in turn back to the device; horn, starter, turn signals, etc.

Die m-Unit ist die elektronische Schaltzentrale im Motorrad - von motogadget

Motogadget Munit.jpg

I also picked up another YZ250 swingarm. I'm still working on determining which model year will work best. I'm working off of XV racing folk lore, "Well the trick swingarm was a YZ or maybe a TZ, I don't remember the specific one." The good thing is old YZ swingarms are cheap so I can buy a few to see which is the best match. The ones I'd bought previously I trashed when we moved from OKC back to Austin, like I said, cheap.

YZSwingarm.JPG

The YZ swingarm is 3.39 lbs, the stock swing is 17.5 lbs if I recall correctly. Net savings...14 lbs! Wow.

Last edited:
Here's sample wiring diagrams on how much the M-Unit can simplify the whole electrical system. These do not show however, how to wire up the idiot lights. That is essentially a sub-harness.

Once I map my system out it will be a combo of these two maps.

I'll be honest, electrical things are my weak spot. I am very comfortable with mechanical things; like how one gear makes another turn, and visualizing an entire mechanical system in my minds eye. Electronic things just become abstract to me. Maybe I can get over my block with this project???

View attachment fahrzeugschaltplan_mbutton_en (1).pdfWiring Schematic 1.jpg

Here's sample wiring diagrams on how much the M-Unit can simplify the whole electrical system. These do not show however, how to wire up the idiot lights. That is essentially a sub-harness.

Once I map my system out it will be a combo of these two maps.

I'll be honest, electrical things are my weak spot. I am very comfortable with mechanical things; like how one gear makes another turn, and visualizing an entire mechanical system in my minds eye. Electronic things just become abstract to me. Maybe I can get over my block with this project???

I'm OK with 12v for a layman but this is interesting. Still looks like more than one wire though. Can you have two M buttons? One at front and one at rear? Or am I still not in the loop?

The bike is due back this week.

I've done some preliminary measurements and the RZ500 rear wheel may just bolt right up. I need to check the axle diameter. The OEM swingarm width, ~250mm or 9 3/4" is very close to the stock RZ500 wheel width.

I also just scored this! A Yamaha SRX600 front wheel. I ended up going to Ebay in Germany to find this one. It matches the RZ500 wheel perfectly. Note the oval hole, vs. two round ones on the RZ350 wheel, and note the additional slotting on the hub between the "spokes." This should shed another pound. I suspect another pound off the rear wheel too.

Again the rear RZ500 wheel is 1/2" wider than the RZ50 wheel. The profile of the 130 tire should be perfect with this!

SRX600 front wheel:

SRX600 Wheel.JPG

The bike is home today finally. Runs like a raped ape!

I took care of a bunch of small things; euro tach and speedo, top clamp hardware, steering damper mounts, new turn signal lens, NOS outer airbox half, made licence plate bracket 2.0. It works.

1b9ca85ec7b25fe093790713a47a5428.jpg

f42b3a70df15afb144a08629f5f89350.jpg

b690351327a073b792be50582877fede.jpg

7b69c80e8649a2ac28af0d0deb35634b.jpg

Last edited:
Awesome Pete! When will you get some video of this project in action?

I'm trying to figure out a trip to Austin to get a better feel for the place... when that happens, I'll be looking for you... maybe a dinner night out?

-Eric

Video to come. Maybe this Sunday.

It was 80 yesterday, 50 and rain today and rain for the next three days!

I got my TX plates, passed inspection and applied for a Texas title. :)

For rc5695, let me know if these work. They are coming from my HP cloud account. Looks like the Forum turned someside ways. ugh.

Attachments

• 20150120_170308.jpg
    20150120_170308.jpg
    161 KB · Views: 59
  • 20150120_173028.jpg
    20150120_173028.jpg
    158.2 KB · Views: 55
  • 20150120_181324.jpg
    20150120_181324.jpg
    146.1 KB · Views: 58
  • 20150120_183500.jpg
    20150120_183500.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 60
On the original gauges a mounting bolt was broken on each one. I had to remove the glass from the tach so the needle could sweep all the way to 7k. A guy in Belgium was parting out a TR1 so I bought them. The only ones I could find in the US were worse or they wanted way too much.

When I rode yesterday it was odd converting from metric to English in my head.

Back